Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
You don't need any chemical treatment, just plenty of water. That is a holding tank, not a septic tank. Just make sure you have plenty of water, don't dump until it is at least 2/3 full and 'burps', then make sure you put water in the emptied tank.

As to your question, does your toilet have an overflow line under the rim? If so, that is probably the source of the smell because it has dried out.

Barb
Thank you Barb.. I get what you mean about using, or not using treatment products. However, I assume you don't believe them to be causing my problem, right?

As for the overflow line. Yes, my toilet certainly has one of these. I assume it is just a return path to the holding tank? Can you elaborate more on what you mean by dried out, and how to address it?
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
You don't need any chemical treatment, just plenty of water. That is a holding tank, not a septic tank. Just make sure you have plenty of water, don't dump until it is at least 2/3 full and 'burps', then make sure you put water in the emptied tank.

As to your question, does your toilet have an overflow line under the rim? If so, that is probably the source of the smell because it has dried out.

Barb
Ahhh, Barb, After some research, I understand that the overflow tube has a 'S' turn in it to seal it off from the cabin.. Makes sense and I will run some water through it to ensure the trap has water in it.. Thanks again for this info!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Ahhh, Barb, After some research, I understand that the overflow tube has a 'S' turn in it to seal it off from the cabin.. Makes sense and I will run some water through it to ensure the trap has water in it.. Thanks again for this info!
The Thetford toilets that have an overflow tube have a dirverter in the path of the flush water that is supposed to keep the little trap full. Could it have been damaged or dislodged somehow?
Old 08-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look under the sink:

Under the sink, probably in both the kitchen and the bath there will be valve. It can be about 2 inches round, usually black. Some are white and smaller. It should unscrew (righty tighty, lefty loosey). It may be attached to a piece of PVC or flexable tubing depending on your design. Over time the little flapper inside can come apart or just gets stuck open and allowing tank odors into the coach cabin. It acts as a vent to let air into the tanks when you are dumping. Otherwise your traps would get the liquid sucked out each time, causing another source of odors. They are around $5 from ACE or most hardware/plumbing stores.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Larson View Post
Under the sink, probably in both the kitchen and the bath there will be valve. It can be about 2 inches round, usually black. Some are white and smaller. It should unscrew (righty tighty, lefty loosey). It may be attached to a piece of PVC or flexable tubing depending on your design. Over time the little flapper inside can come apart or just gets stuck open and allowing tank odors into the coach cabin. It acts as a vent to let air into the tanks when you are dumping. Otherwise your traps would get the liquid sucked out each time, causing another source of odors. They are around $5 from ACE or most hardware/plumbing stores.
Rocky, the odor comes from the toilet, no doubt about this. Since black and gray water are separate systems, how could a stuck valve in the gray water system impact this?
Old 08-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rkh,
Rocky Larson's post is valid. I forgot all about the anti-siphon valves on the sinks. I've had these valves go bad. Grey water tank can smell just as bad as the black water tank. If you find the over flow tube does not fix the problem. Look for and replace the anti-siphon valve. It should be easy to find and cheap to buy (Lowe's or Home Depot).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #21

Go to Walmart and buy 3 or four boxes of the Thetford black tank treatment. They sell two or three different strengths and the strongest is the one with formaldehyde. Never buy tank treatment without formaldehyde. It is the god of all treatments. Walmart still sells it as I bought 3 boxes this week. Were out of the liquid but still had some powder formaldehyde. Says it causes cancer in California, but I don't care to go there anyway. Their too broke and to much like Arnold's ex wife. You will never have odors with this stuff, as I have used nothing but formaldehyde based treatment since 1994 and never an odor unless I forget to put it in.And now it comes in a GREEN box so has to be good for you.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Go to Walmart and buy 3 or four boxes of the Thetford black tank treatment. They sell two or three different strengths and the strongest is the one with formaldehyde. Never buy tank treatment without formaldehyde. It is the god of all treatments. Walmart still sells it as I bought 3 boxes this week. Were out of the liquid but still had some powder formaldehyde. Says it causes cancer in California, but I don't care to go there anyway. Their too broke and to much like Arnold's ex wife. You will never have odors with this stuff, as I have used nothing but formaldehyde based treatment since 1994 and never an odor unless I forget to put it in.And now it comes in a GREEN box so has to be good for you.
kscrude,' yer killin me man.. thanks for your post!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Under the sink revisited:

I may have over simplified my explanation and caused some confusion. You may find two types of vents under the bathroom sink. One for the black tank and another for the grey. Also possible the grey vent is elsewhere (like the kitchen), but the black tank vent (not the one on the roof) is more than likely under the bathroom sink.

I still suggest you check there and if you see anything like any of the following you are possibly one step closer to a solution:Amazon.com: air admittance vent
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Larson View Post
I may have over simplified my explanation and caused some confusion. You may find two types of vents under the bathroom sink. One for the black tank and another for the grey. Also possible the grey vent is elsewhere (like the kitchen), but the black tank vent (not the one on the roof) is more than likely under the bathroom sink.

I still suggest you check there and if you see anything like any of the following you are possibly one step closer to a solution:Amazon.com: air admittance vent
Thanks Rocky. Per my plumbing diagrams, there is no other connection or path to the black tank but the toilet flange, dump pipe, and roof vent pipe.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:15 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My "[moderator edit]" doesn't stink, anymore. I installed this vent fan that keeps a positive pressure on my black tank. My vent runs behind the TV in the bedroom, that is where I installed it. Highly recommend it.

Lil' Stanker™ In-Line Deodorizer Fans
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Since black and gray water are separate systems, how could a stuck valve in the gray water system impact this?
Not always! In some MHs, the basin is plumbed into the black tank and the shower and kitchen sink into the grey tank. Done because the grey tank usually fills up way before the black tank so doing this equalises capacities a bit.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post

Not always! In some MHs, the basin is plumbed into the black tank and the shower and kitchen sink into the grey tank. Done because the grey tank usually fills up way before the black tank so doing this equalises capacities a bit.
Ewwwwww! Yeah, but what I'm saying is, mine is NOT.. There also NO anti-syphon alve involved. Really. Thread is not about other systems, just mine... uggghh!

I ensured that my overflow tube has water in it yesterday.. We shall see how it goes. However, when I flush, water swirls around the overflow opening anyway. But since it flows over the opening almost vertically, maybe water does not enter the hole due to some physics thing.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #28
tpd

well it's a toilet, so I am going to go with Poop
tpd is offline   Reply With Quote