Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
We had stink issue and sensors not clearing for a year. An online post somewhere said use laundry detergent and liquid Calgon water softener as a tank deodorizer/cleaner. Didn't work over night, but 3 months later-no smell and sensors are working again.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Lots of good advice here, as usual. We have only 1 roof vent, and tried the Extreme Vent by CoilNWrap.com. Increases the venturi effect even with hardly a breeze outside. We like it, and swear it helps. Very well built and no noise when it turns. No black tank odor, but we did have grey water tank odor for awhile (Bad). Turned out to be the ant-siphoning valves-- I replaced all of them (3). Hope you get your black tank odor problem fixed. Hope your roof venting piping is not cracked or open somewhere inside. That can be very hard to find.

Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
Ooooops --should have said AAV (Air Allowance Valves). Not anti-siphoning vavles. Brain wasn't engaged.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #32

Radarman, I appreciate your contribution to this odor thread. Hope OP will forgive me for a bit more off topic-ness but I hate to start another thread just to get some clarification. I had a horrid grey smell assault me driving out of high elevations while raging forest fire smoke from Yosemite forced us to turn our AC to max (inside air). It was horrible. I figured out the smell was emanating from the AAVs so to prevent dying from noxious fumes I put a plastic sack over them till we got home. We dumped the grey and did a mini GEO on it, no ice, powdered arm and hammer since no calgon was readily available, and added a cup of dawn. It got the tank good an clean. Today I removed the Baggie, unscrewed the AAV from the kitchen and it appears to be patent. I washed it good, then blew in it. No air got past the rubber disc. Sucking on it it worked fine. Seems okay. So I am wondering just what happens at 7000 ft. On a hot day? We got some walex brand lemon stuff at CW and it worked for a while. Today, a week after adding it, I was cleaning up at our storage site and I could smell it through the baggies. Uh oh! I added a bunch of water to each p-trap and it seemed to help. DH went to Home Depot. They had no idea what the gizmo was and my guess is they are not sold here in California since they don't meet code standards. Plumbing.com has them. I read at RV Doctor that they can be lubricated with Dow 111. DH can bring some home from work Monday. But TBH, the one I took off for him to take to H.D. seems to be fully functional.

Can you shed any light? Incidentally my Sealand Dometic toilet has no such trap hole, and I gave it a thorough on-the-knees cleaning today. I sure hope OP got rid of smell.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #33
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm the original OP.. I finally had the MH on the road for a few days last week. No longer have the smell from toilet. I suppose the issue was an empty p trap. I have a hole at the rear top inside the bowl that I would have thought received water each time a flush occurred. Maybe not because once I ensured there was water in the p trap, the smell went away. The smell was there even after the toilet was not used for a while, vent fan had cleared the room, and water was sitting in the bowl ( everything sealed). No leaks around floor base or bowl seal. Only place it could have been coming from is up through the empty p trap fill tube..