Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #1

Wheel & CarFax Questions

We looked at a '05 Vectra yesterday and the aluminum alloy wheels had some strange looking corrosion by the lugnuts. I heard that Accuride started making the coated wheels about that time, could it be a flaking problem with the coating? I didn't see any other indications the wheels might be coated. Has anyone else seen this problem, if so is it serious or just ugly? Repairable?

My other question is about the Carfax on the same machine. The chassis was made in '04 and the first registration wasn't until 2007. From then on it was registered every year. Is it really likely that it sat in a lot all of that time? Currently has 16K miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	7074   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	7075  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martind4 View Post
My other question is about the Carfax on the same machine. The chassis was made in '04 and the first registration wasn't until 2007. From then on it was registered every year. Is it really likely that it sat in a lot all of that time? Currently has 16K miles.
It is not unlikely that you will see an 04 chassis 1st registered in 2007. It is common practice for an OEM to buy a lot of chassis and sit on them especially if they span a model year and the OEM retools for a new year. It may also have happened that the floor plan that the chassis was ordered for was dropped. Later on another floorplan might call for the wheelbase that you rig is built on. If you know both the born on date and the delivery date that would rule all of that out. I have seen lot queens that have sat unsold for 2 or more years. All or any or both of those scenarios are possible.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hard to tell for sure by just seeing the picture but that doesn't look like corrosion. It looks like the clear coat on the wheel is coming off from removing and reinstalling the lug nuts. A wheel specialty repair shop should be able to strip and re-clear coat the wheels.
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
JMHO from looking at the lug nuts, looks like someone just hammered too long with an air wrench, which is possible. There's not many who do that kind of work who will take the time to just snug and then use a torque wrench. Good luck,
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
CarFax...hope this is not too far off the subject...

This is my story about CarFax. Some years ago I let someone use my car and they had a bad accident. The repair cost versus being given a cash alternative was so close that it was up to me to decide which way to go. Anyway...CarFax was being heavily promoted. I joined under a plan that promised satisfaction or the cost returned. I planned to use it for a future purchase, but I tested it on my car which the insurance company fixed. CarFax claimed that my car had never been in an accident and this was at least six months later. Then when I asked for my money back they argued and, even after being given the accident report records, they fought to keep the fee. So, bottom line in my case is that their record was completely in error and they were difficult to work with even after proving that they were wrong. Be careful with them.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My understanding about carfax is that it's used by dealers to inspire confidence in their used car sales. Car dealers (or consumers) pay a fee to be able to use their service. They gather their information from DMV reports. When there is a traffic accident it is supposed to be reported the the DMV if repairs exceed $500. The big problem with carfax is that if a car gets into a major accident and it's not reported to the DMV, Carfax will not have a record of it. IMHO a good vehicle inspection will tell much more then a carfax report.
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MartinD4, The wheels on my motor home have never been off nor have the lug nuts. My motor home wheels look exactly like yours. I was told that the lug nut covers were flexing and therefor damaging the clear coat on the wheels. Makes sense to me.
okie-dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
If someone strips & re-coats the wheels, what assures you that it ain't gonna happen again? Be brave and set a new precedent by painting the wheels white! Sure will stand out!!
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The Alcoa coated wheels on my '04 look exactly the same. Guess it is a common malediction.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:02 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
MartinD4, The wheels on my motor home have never been off nor have the lug nuts. My motor home wheels look exactly like yours. I was told that the lug nut covers were flexing and therefor damaging the clear coat on the wheels. Makes sense to me.
If the wheels have never been off, then it is time to do so and have new tires installed. About 6 years is the life of the tires on these kinds of units that sit more than get driven. Otherwise, you will be spending money on repairing body work on the coach from blown tires or worse, have an accident.
Take care, stay safe and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
My understanding about carfax is that it's used by dealers to inspire confidence in their used car sales. Car dealers (or consumers) pay a fee to be able to use their service. They gather their information from DMV reports. When there is a traffic accident it is supposed to be reported the the DMV if repairs exceed $500. The big problem with carfax is that if a car gets into a major accident and it's not reported to the DMV, Carfax will not have a record of it. IMHO a good vehicle inspection will tell much more then a carfax report.

i agree, was shopping for a suv for my daughter, stopped at a major carlot in town, the sales lady waved the car fax at me. I asked when it was wrecked and she said it was not. the carfax said it had not been. Well the passanger door and frond finder had a 3inch gap and was overspray in engin compartment and wheel well. Needless to say, we went elsewhere.

i trust carfax about as far as i can throw them
Old 12-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Unlike metals would be suspect with the lugs being hardened steel and the wheels aluminum. However I would make sure the lugs have been tightend properly as well.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What you have is fairly common, aluminum corrosion. Once the protective coating has been breached, such as when the lug nuts were put on, the corrosion begins and spreads slowly. Certain grades of aluminum are more prone than others, 2024 is mentioned alot. Check out the airsteam forums and you see tons of posts on this. They not only have it on their wheels but also affects the body. From their reports, there is not much that can be done with it. It's one of the reasons we steered away from an Airstream years ago.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote