Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Wheel removal

I know removing a set of 22.5" rear wheels and tires is a job best left to a professional. But, if one was in a bind and had the jacks, stands, impact wrench and appropriate pry bars and such, can one person accomplish a removal/replacement alone or is the job too big to handle?

22.5 275's on aluminum rims.....

RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #2

I move mine all the time 315/80/22r. Just jack it up high enough to take weight off and use two 2 x 4s and you can walk it off the hub. The trick is to not let it lay over.. once off and away from studs just roll it up against the side of the couch. I pull my hubs with the brake discs still on with my motorcycle lift. Rolls it right off the spindle. No weight lifting at all. I use a 1/2" impact after I loosen the 33MMnuts with my 600lb torque wrench. Same going on. Then cross torque to 450lbs.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #3

Perry,

Where did you find your 1/2" impact wrench with 600 ftlbs of torque? Did it cost 2 arms and a leg?

I've been looking for one and haven't been successful yet.

My wheels aren't as large, but I have removed and polished them many times with no problems.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martind4 View Post
Perry,

Where did you find your 1/2" impact wrench with 600 ftlbs of torque? Did it cost 2 arms and a leg?

I've been looking for one and haven't been successful yet.
I got one that goes to 650 ft lbs at Harbor Freight. Cost was about $70 as I remember. I knew it wouldn't be used much so I didn't look for (or pay $$$$) an industrial rated one.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Take mine off yearly to clean. Use a 3/4 in. impact from sears. Lift wheels just off ground with levelers. Not a hard job.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:05 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonNBama View Post
I know removing a set of 22.5" rear wheels and tires is a job best left to a professional. But, if one was in a bind and had the jacks, stands, impact wrench and appropriate pry bars and such, can one person accomplish a removal/replacement alone or is the job too big to handle?

22.5 275's on aluminum rims.....
i use my hwh jacks to jack the moho. for safety, i support the axle with a jackstand.
i use a harbor freight 1/2'' drive ''earthquake'' 600'# impact wrench with a 33mm socket to remove the lug nuts. i use a harbor freight 42'' long 3/4" drive 600'# torque wrench and long extensions, supported by a jack stand, to torque the lug nuts. per the workhorse manual, the torque is 475'# on my wheels. when a wheel is reinstalled, the lug nuts should be retorqued within about 1000 miles.
i have seen a commercial tire provider replace a front tire with the rim still installed using tire irons. the bead is very easy to break loose. i carry an unmounted spare tire and tire irons.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:02 AM   #7

Any of you guys that pull the wheels once a year to clean them, can come over and do mine if you get bored. Any way if you have a flat concreate place to work and a decent impact wrench it's not a big deal.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
OK, I am encouraged that this is possible. Had not considered the level of torque required though. My 1/4" drive SnapOn torque wrench ain't gonna make it.

Thanks for the info.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonNBama View Post
OK, I am encouraged that this is possible. Had not considered the level of torque required though. My 1/4" drive SnapOn torque wrench ain't gonna make it.

Thanks for the info.
If you don't have a compressor to power an impact wrench, you can get a torque multiplier to do the job manually. Harbor Freight may also be a good source for that. You will need to check out the torque specs for your particular motorhome, but keep in mind it will be in the 400-500 lb-ft range and choose a torque multiplier accordingly.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
If you don't have a compressor to power an impact wrench, you can get a torque multiplier to do the job manually. Harbor Freight may also be a good source for that. You will need to check out the torque specs for your particular motorhome, but keep in mind it will be in the 400-500 lb-ft range and choose a torque multiplier accordingly.
Got one of those and the lug nuts come off with no sweat. No more impact wrenches and pounding with a hammer. If you are going to do that kind of work yourselves its the only way to go.
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I didn't find a torque multiplier that would handle 475 ft pounds at Harbor Freight.
I got my 3 to 1 multiplier at Northern Tool . Also got a 250 ft pound torque wrench there.
The multiplier input is a 3/4 drive and the output is a 1 inch drive. I got the 1 inch drive 33mm socket at Grainger along with a 1 inch drive 10 inch extension. I had to make a extension for the reaction bar from a piece of pipe.

Looking back it might have cheaper to buy a 500 or more ft pound torque wrench from SnapOn.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I have a 3/4" drive 600 ft-lb torque wrench but don't use it on the Bus. It's too hard to handle. I do have a 600 ft-lb impact wrench but that too won't always get them loose because they tighten up after time so the original 475 ft-lb torque doesn't mean that much when it's time to remove them. Sooner or later you will need more force to get them off. That's where a torque multiplier comes in.

I have a 1/2" breaker bar to break them free. It inserts into the 4:1 torque multipler, which has 3/4" output that I run through a 10" long extension and a 33mm impact socket. Once they are started IU then use the impact wrench and socket to finish removing them.

When it's time to put them back on I use the impact and socket to get them close. Then I revert to the torque multiplier and my 0-250 ft-lb Snap-On torque wrench to torque them to 119 ft-lbs, which yield 475 ft-lbs at the lug nut.

I also have tire irons and rubber lube and can remove and replace the tire on the rim if I need to. A 4 lb hammer and crowbar make it easy to walk the rim off of the hub. HWH leveling jacks are a lifesaver in that regard, although I use a 12 ton bottle jack in some cases - at the very least as a safety stand once the screw is extended.

These things aren't light so this is not for everyone. But there are times where road service is slow or unresponsive and it might be a lifesaver to have that ability. If nothing else, just having the tools might just allow someone younger and stronger to do the job for you.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I have removed all the wheels from my coach at least once. Several wheels more than once. I'm no power ranger. 163 lbs and 6' 1" tall. The tools mentioned in the previous posts are required and remember it is all done with leverage. If you consider doing this, practice on a level concrete pad. Try a front wheel. That will tell you if this is something you want to consider.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
DON'T FORGET THAT THE LEFT SIDE IS LEFT HAND THREAD.
I use a 3/4" craftsman breaker bar and a 4'pipe...

TDiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote