Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Wheel (rim) question...

This is a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway. I have never had a flat and I have never seen the inside wheel of the duals. In a discussion on another forum a poster said that the wheels (rims) are different, depending on the location on the coach. If the wheels are different, said the poster, there is no point having a mounted spare because you might have tire mounted on the wrong type of wheel.

Is this true? Are there two types of wheels on a coach? Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The only way of having different wheels is if you have the aluminum wheels. If you do, the inside rear wheels are steel, but they should basicly be the same shape except they are aluminum. I guess the manufacturers do this to save the cost of two aluminum rims.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
The only way of having different wheels is if you have the aluminum wheels. If you do, the inside rear wheels are steel, but they should basicly be the same shape except they are aluminum. I guess the manufacturers do this to save the cost of two aluminum rims.
The spec sheet for my coach says that the wheels are steel. So in this case are all the wheels exactly the same...even the front wheels? The discussion on another forum really confused me. One poster said that he had a tag axle and would need three different spare wheels!!! Joe
Old 06-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The front wheels are likely different than the rears as well. The duals are deep-dish wheels, while the fronts are more shallow.

Different chassis configurations may use different wheels sizes and types, so generalizations on this subject are risky.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I guess the other poster (different forum) is correct in that it makes no sense to carry a mounted spare because you can't be sure which tire will blow and you might have the wrong wheel. Thanks, that answers my question. If I carry any spare it will just be the tire. I appreciate the help. Joe
Old 06-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Joe: 2008 Itasco on XCS has steel wheels, all should be the same. Your FTL chassis spec sheet is here:
http://freightlinerchassis.com/image...S0304-2008.pdf

Would also show same part numbers for all the rims on Access FTL for your chassis. (The inside dual and the front rims mount facing the same way. The outside rear dual is turned around so the deep dish you see is the inside of the rim.)
If you consider carrying a mounted spare, the tire and rim together weigh 175-200 lbs. Lug nut torque is about 400-450 footpounds. Not easy to change on your own. If you call road service anyway to change a tire, they can easily mount an unmounted spare.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I guess the other poster (different forum) is correct in that it makes no sense to carry a mounted spare because you can't be sure which tire will blow and you might have the wrong wheel. Thanks, that answers my question. If I carry any spare it will just be the tire. I appreciate the help. Joe
That's the best reason for not carrying one mounted. It would always be the wrong one.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I think that I am getting paranoid about a flat tire. When I read the posts that say a tire blew and the tire had to be ordered, etc. I see that some people have gone as much as ten years without a flat. I'll just stop thinking "blow-out" and enjoy the ride. Joe
Old 06-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joe, all your wheels are the same. The only time you start having mismatch problems are with aluminium wheels. To solve this delemma I joined Coach Net for $90 year. They will come out and if need be, loan you a traveler spare to get you on the road again. Problem solved
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:00 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Joe, all your wheels are the same. The only time you start having mismatch problems are with aluminium wheels. To solve this dilemma I joined Coach Net for $90 year. They will come out and if need be, loan you a traveler spare to get you on the road again. Problem solved
If I go by the posts that talk about good road side assistance, Coach Net appears to be the winner. Thanks, Joe
Old 06-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If both inner and outer wheels on the rear are aluminum then you'd have, or need, longer studs because of wheel thickness. This goes against the manufacturer's need to have two lengths of studs depending on type of wheel.

I know this because I was going to upgrade my chassis to aluminum wheels. I priced out six wheels and the company I was dealing with brought it to my attention that I'd have to check my studs to see if they were long enough. Needless to say they weren't.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Long story short. Even though I have Good Sam Road-Side Service, I am signing up with Coach Net today. It sure helps to know what other coach owners think. Thanks for all the replies. Joe
Old 06-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
azloafer, Thats what I did, Good Sam Extended Warranty, Camping World Roadcare and Coach Net.
I sleep like a baby !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
The front wheels are likely different than the rears as well. The duals are deep-dish wheels, while the fronts are more shallow.

Different chassis configurations may use different wheels sizes and types, so generalizations on this subject are risky.
I have been driving and owning rvs for many years. In addition, I drove busses for 23 yrs. I have never seen a large vehicle with dual wheels that had different wheels on the front from the factory. The front one ar dished like the rear ones. The onlydifferenceis the front ones are installed dish out.