Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #1

When does fuel cost force to park?

Well fudge!
DW and I have been planning our February trip from Indiana to warm Florida. This is/was to be our first big time use of the MH. 2400 miles round trip.
Today we read in the paper the cost of fuel is going up..by design. Yesterday the Fed made some moves to weaken the dollar...by intent.. rationale is to help the debt somehow...but according to article written by Washington Post...a weaker dollar raises oil per barrel cost so as the dollar weakens oil cost go up. The Fed wants to manage the weakening of the dollar and if all goes according to hoyle the end result (1Q11) will be less debt but gas will be between $4-$5/gal.
At $4/gal our MH needs becomes a CG queen somewhere.
Curious to know at what $/gal will force you to park it too?
Kountry87Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since Newton's law states all things that come down must go back up. Wait a minute, that's not right?
Oh well, Yes we knew that sooner or later gas prices would rise back up by design. We may travel less miles, but have no intentions of turning our baby into a trailer park queen.

P.S. I would like to comment on the move by the feds (short for federal banking system, actually very little to do with the federal government) but not supposed to get political here.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
5,00 bux a gallon would be my 2nd thought price
brianj
Old 11-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #4

I think it would just mean shorter trips, maybe a bit less often for us. Folks in the UK are paying upwards of $6 and still driving their RVs. I guess it depends on your priorities.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
I think it would just mean shorter trips, maybe a bit less often for us. Folks in the UK are paying upwards of $6 and still driving their RVs. I guess it depends on your priorities.
Yes but most RV's in the UK are tiny compared to US standards, and have much better fuel economy.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK, I'll go on record here, as long as it's available, I'll pay the going rate. Not going to let something like the cost of fuel ruin this lifestyle. BTW, the higher the price, the fewer vehicles on the road and more vacancies enroute and at destinations. How cool is that?
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Larson View Post
OK, I'll go on record here, as long as it's available, I'll pay the going rate. Not going to let something like the cost of fuel ruin this lifestyle. BTW, the higher the price, the fewer vehicles on the road and more vacancies enroute and at destinations. How cool is that?
And then it comes down again because supply & demand will force it back down so it can slowly creep back up. Just look at the past 8 years.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
When oil was $147/barrel, gas around here was about $4.30/gallon. Currently oil is about $84/barrel and gas is $2.99. I would think that gas might go to $3.50 or even $3.75 but 4 to 5 bucks per gallon within the next 4 months, sound like Chicken Little fear mongering to me.
Another way to look at this is to figure out how many gallons of gas you will us on a trip then multiply that by how much you thing gas will go up. That will give you how much extra you will actually spend for fuel.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
When I start making plans for next years camping trips in the next few months, I'll listen to what gas prices are rumored for next summer. We had planned either a trip to the UP of MI. or the Smoky Mtn. for our big trip. But if $4 or $5 or higher gas is the level of greed BP feels they need to recoup profits lost because of their little gulf accident, so be it. We will just stay closer to home in Ohio or PA. (One tank trips).

In the past few years the ever looming summer gas prices have changed our travel plans. It has delayed planned trips to VT and Myrtle Beach until this past summer. I thought with the recession, gas prices would moderate. We did both VT and MB this summer.....2 weeks at each... There are plenty of great places within a one tank trip (250 miles) from our home base here in NE Ohio. The others will just have to wait......
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
In 2008 we did a round trip out to Portland, OR. On the average we paid $4.30 with a high of $4.75 in the Tetons. But this year we only put on about 2,000 miles (about the same as 2009).
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We purchased our rv to see America. That's what we will do. We might not remodel the bathroom as fast, but we will continue to travel, see the sights, and visit family, friends and catch some college football games. Maybe I'll spend an extra night at a family visit local, or at a Walmart, or something along the way instead of pulling into a campground every night. Don't sweat the small stuff. Generate the memories!
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #12

The highest we ever paid was $4.65 a gallon for diesel...didn't stop us but we do stay longer at one place....
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Still being employed, but with 6 weeks of vacation, we have to watch where our vacation $$ go. It has been 15 years since we have stayed at home. So we count ourselves lucky to be able to go RVing 5 - 6 weeks in the summer instead of staying home and doing yard work or house projects.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #14

We wont change our plans either. We might not have quite as much money when we decide to stop traveling,,but meantime we going to travel.

There will be plenty of time to just sit,,and how long I have to sit doesnt really matter,,
Rick&Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote