Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #1

When GPS brings you to a Tunnel

Hello everyone. I am new to the RV scene just starting out. trying to do as much research as I can. my question is when using the RV GPS and it brings you to a tunnel. if you cannot reroute what are your options. to stop back up traffic call for help or do you go through it if your RV has the right height. Thank you
Cola ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I might be thinking that if your RV is too tall for the tunnel at the beginning , it will be the right height at the end ..
In NYC, if that is your reference , there is usually a little room to squeeze into on the right side BEFORE entering tunnel , then call for help . You will never be able to make a U turn in that traffic..
Best option is to carefully plan your route taking notice of height in tunnels and bridges and propane restrictions . Va , Md and NYC are the most restrictive .. A GPS is not always your friend
Old 04-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #3

I'd say it's time for a new GPS,get one that's for trucks and RV's.We just got a new one from camping world that you can input your RV info(height,length,width weight,etc.) works great.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:49 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I've had enough wrong information from various GPS over the years I'd check on state websites before leaving in the morning. I've followed directions on GPS into a military base. (Made me turn around at the gate) Up a private road that petered out at a locked gate, and "Turn left" instructions into a field of grape vines. I use the GPS, but try to check on wider map either on line or in my map case. Roof top appliances are too expensive to rely on any GPS blindly.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #5

Your best bet is a GPS for truck and RV, as previously noted. That should keep you out of trouble. There are also books that are published yearly for truckers that show low clearance.
Ther other thing to watch for are semis. If you see them on the road it probably safe.
However, once your in a position where you can't continue, call the state or local police. They will need to block traffic so you can get turned around. If in doubt, stop and check. Being embarrassed and apologizing doesn't cost nearly as much as roof repair.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #6

Howdy!

The first thing you need to do is measure the height of you RV. Next I would look into a new gps. Its not that expensive if you already own a smartphone or tablet. Look into Co-pilot app for android or iPad. Its has a RV setting which you can program the height up to 13'. My new 5er is over 13' so I purchased Co-Pilot truck app. It was $150.00 but still cheaper than a new gps and it also has a RV setup and its working well.

CoPilot Premium - Navigation for Android Smartphones and Tablets

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As stated - a new GPS will help, but you have to verify your route by other means, such as a trucker's atlas. My RV specific GPS tried to send us under a bridge marked 10'6" while it was programmed at 13'.
Be safe.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola ny View Post
Hello everyone. I am new to the RV scene just starting out. trying to do as much research as I can. my question is when using the RV GPS and it brings you to a tunnel. if you cannot reroute what are your options. to stop back up traffic call for help or do you go through it if your RV has the right height. Thank you
If you have to hold up traffic, then do so. Call for help and try to get off the road if you can. We have only been RVing for 2 1/2 years, but we have never had this situation. However if we ever do, we'll just call 911 and sit tight until the police can help us turn around. Others may be inconvenienced, but they'll get over it.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #9

Can anyone recommend a good brand for a RV GPS??
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check out the "Technology" thread here at the forum. There is lots of discussions there and the Rand McNally GPS guy will also answer any questions you may have about their RV GPS.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:35 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
I use the in conjuntion with my GPS, it give height warnings.
Home of the Best RV Trip Planner Ever
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #12

Phranc sez, "I might be thinking that if your RV is too tall for the tunnel at the beginning , it will be the right height at the end ..". Now that right there is funny. Really!
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #13

To answer your question, pull off as much as you can without blocking all lanes and call 911. The cops are paid to help route traffic around you as you u-turn or whatever. If no 911 - sit around for a bit and some good person will come and ask if you need help.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #14

When planning our trips I use the Rand McNally truckers road atlas in conjunction with my GPS. I have had trouble a couple of times with the GPS trying to route me where I knew I was to high to clear the tunnels or bridges. The Atlas has always been correct.

Tags
gps