Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #1

When it is time to upgrade?

We just bought our 32' 2008 Freelander and although I am not looking at trading it anytime soon I was wondering something....this is our first motorhome and was wondering when is a good time to look at trading? Do people usually trade or ride them out until they can no longer run?
Martino78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The is no right time to "upgrade". The RV is a declining asset, so you are loosing money from the day you drive it or pull it off the lot.

When it no longer fits your needs or life style and you can afford to spend more money, I guess that is the right time.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
When it no longer fits your needs or life style and you can afford to spend more money, I guess that is the right time.

Ken
My thoughts as well. The real trick is to buy the unit that satisfies current and anticipated needs...we got lucky with our purchase given our limited experience. The only 'upgrading' we'll do is to our current coach. Hopefully, this will be our first and last MH purchase. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #4

Those were my thoughts as well. We are a young family (33,34) with 2 and a half kids (one due anyway) girls are 13 and 11. We fit just find and really don't see any reason for needing an upgrade. The next one we buy may be when we are ready to retire with the kids out of the house.
Martino78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Keep it as long as it suits your needs. There is nothing to be gained by trading just because you've had it awhile. The longer you keep it, the lower the average depreciation.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
+1 It's time to upgrade when you coach no longer fulfills your requirements.

It may, however, be worthwhile to mention that lending institutions sometimes limit the age of the vehicle they will lend on. When I was searching, I was told that I could not get a loan on anything older than 10 years. And so, if you plan to sell you coach rather than trade it in, you would want to upgrade when your coach is less than 10 years old to maximize your potential market.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #7

Some just want, and afford to update all the time. Then there are people like me, I like to get full value out of things, and have no desire to impress others, so I keep things forever.

My RV is a 1976 highway type MCI Bus. My Rototiller is a 1947 ROTOTILLER (says so right on the cowling), my motorcycle is a 195? Cushman Eagle. Old is better, things were really made back in "the old days".

IMHO, use it up, make it last, and to hell with the Joneses.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The is no right time to "upgrade". The RV is a declining asset, so you are loosing money from the day you drive it or pull it off the lot.

Ken
Kinda like asking, "How high is up?"

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #9

True to above. The wife and have a 5er that we like but if the right opportunity presented itself we would upgrade. My father and I spent 4 moths upgrading his first Allegro, when they started full timing, he made it out to Oregon called and said guess what...

....spell check on a phone...
Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Keep it as long as it suits your needs. There is nothing to be gained by trading just because you've had it awhile. The longer you keep it, the lower the average depreciation.
I agree with this for sure.

We eventually knew that retirement was around the corner and trips would be longer duration and more room for storage would be needed so that's when we traded up.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #11

It's time to trade when you find something else you like better.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #12

This is why I like a 5r. Technology will make your running gear obsolete in a MH. I have a 94 Alpenlite which is well built but I am on my second truck. Better milage more power more brakes more comfortable. The RV can be sold as a second home in someones back yard when completely worn out. That will be when I am too old to tow it.
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #13

I have been told that gas RV values go down sharply after 50,000 miles. This doesn't bother us since we keep ours a long time:
1976 Midas Mini, 97,000
1983 Winnebago Chieftain,115,000
1995 Safari Trek, 137,000
1999 Safari Trek purchased in 2009 when it had 52,000
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My DW says my trading day are over. I wonder what she was talking about?
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote