Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
WDW

When should inverter work?

We have a new JAYCO 31FK Greyhawk. We have found that the inverter only works when the engine is off. It was my belief that the inverter should work when the engine is running and we are in motion to operate the TV. Am I confused or is that the unique way this vehicle is wired or miss wired?

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 04:37 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
We have a new JAYCO 31FK Greyhawk. We have found that the inverter only works when the engine is off. It was my belief that the inverter should work when the engine is running and we are in motion to operate the TV. Am I confused or is that the unique way this vehicle is wired or miss wired?
I doubt it is an inverter issue. I believe most modern coaches prevent watching TV while the ignition switch is "on". I am sure my sig. coach will not let me become distracted by a TV while driving. The front TV is actually plugged in to a receptacle that is interlocked with the ignition. I suppose you could find a way to disable this safety feature..........

You may get a different answer if you ask your question in the Jayco Owner's forum.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I doubt it is an inverter issue. I believe most modern coaches prevent watching TV while the ignition switch is "on". I am sure my sig. coach will not let me become distracted by a TV while driving. The front TV is actually plugged in to a receptacle that is interlocked with the ignition. I suppose you could find a way to disable this safety feature..........

You may get a different answer if you ask your question in the Jayco Owner's forum.
You are correct mine works the same way.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #4

I suspect others are right and this is supposed to happen. I would personally want the passengers to have the option of watching TV.
Verify that the 12 inverter input disappears when the ignition is on.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #5

Yep,

Others are correct in stating the fact that there is an ignition inter-lock that locks out the juice going to the TV while the ignition is on. Many guys have found out just where to intercept this system and de-commission it so they or, they're kids, family etc. can watch TV while the vehicle is in motion. It's not that hard to find out where you need to alter things in order for you to view TV during driving. I can't tell you 'cause it's been way too many years since my son and I discovered where the interlock can be disabled at.

But, like others have stated, I'd verify that the inverter is, in fact, "quitting" if and when the ignition is turned on. And, by the way, what kind and size of inverter are we talking about? If it's a small, say, 300 watt one, then you may be only powering up the TV and VCR type stuff only anyway. So, a tad bit more info is needed here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Our inverter works anytime! I keep it on when traveling to power the fridge and other small items.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I doubt it is an inverter issue. I believe most modern coaches prevent watching TV while the ignition switch is "on".
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Verify that the 12 inverter input disappears when the ignition is on.
WDW
Normally, (in most modern coaches), the 120VAC inverter OUTPUT to the TV receptacle disappears whenever the ignition is ON.
But, the power to any other inverter powered receptacle(s), or any 120VAC lights, remains ON.

However, that can be modified to allow passengers to watch TV while the ignition switch is ON.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Try different outlet.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Our inverter works anytime! I keep it on when traveling to power the fridge and other small items.

Joe do you ever use the propane while under way?
My vintage fridge only runs on propane.
IS this a NONO on My part?
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, Let me guess, the TV is in an overhead cabinet above the dash

There is (Required by law) a cut off relay or interlock for a television mounted in such a location... This is discussed in many threads as folks wish to know to disable it (move the plug to another outlet is the recommended method) of course.. Do be aware that tickets for operating television where the driver can see it HAVE BEEN WRITTEN. (I Know Michigan State Police wrote at least one of those in Detroit, I was working dispatch at the time and had to relay messages).

(If you got to "Know such a ticket has been written".. That is the best way, cause instead of paying it, I got paid, and still do I might add).

So find out what outlets it powers (often if there is a radio or DVR or Sat receiver outlet that is powered by the inverter as well) and move the TV's plug to that outlet.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
WDW

Thanks for the advise. The tv is mid coach in back. The driver can't see it but the kidscould if it worked. Funny thing is the tv in the sleeping / bed will work... No safety belts in back bed area. Interestingly enough the mid coach will work off a generator in Winnebago but not the Greyhawk.

Donn
Western New York
2014 Mini Winnie 27qp
"The Trolley"

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter