Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllecr View Post
Brand new first time motorhome owners here (spent our first night last night) on our first excursion. For the next two weeks we will be driving on freeways or small highways, spending one night at a time with or without hookups and traveling 200-300 miles per day.
My question... How full to leave our water tanks when traveling. I've read that it is best not to empty the black tank until it is at least 2/3 full is this true when driving daily like this? I read somewhere that someone recommended having empty black and grey tanks before driving... Should we empty each morning before we take off?? What about the fresh water tanks?... No doubt extra weight will affect gas mileage and braking, etc... The dealership sent us on our way with a full fresh water tank... We want some on the road but wonder if we should travel with less and refill some toward evening before we stop, when needed?
My general rule is full fresh water tank and empty black/gray water tanks for traveling. Fill fresh tank every day, and dump waste water before traveling to save some weight.

We have broke down more than once and were happy that we had followed this philosopy. Spent the weekend at a repair facility once.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy
Rich or poor, new or old are we not all equal at the dump station?

Don
Ain't it the truth.

Can I have some of thor TOR-Tilla chips"

Old 04-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here I what I think I understand...

Do NOT dump black tanks until at least 2/3 - 3/4 full. That avoids the dreaded pyramid. Consider doing an extra flush to keep solids covered.

Dump the black tank first followed by grey tank to "wash it down". (That isn't a pleasant image. LOL)

So, my theoretical knowledge thinks this is how I would depart a CG for the next stopping point without having serious boondoggling in the plan:

(Unless black tank is less than 1/4 full)
1. If needed, flush toilet to get to 3/4 full.
2. Run water to get grey tank 3/4 full.
3. Dump black and grey tanks.
4. Fill fresh water about 1/2 full (44 gal for my rig) to meet reasonable needs enroute to next destination.

Of course, modify as needed. As an example, if you are making a long jump through less populated areas, then consider full fresh water for emergencies.

As I said...consider this theoretical...still working on getting real life experience in this area.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #18

You don't need gray tank that full - that's wasting a lot of water. 1/4 is ok- it's basically rinsing out the hose after the black tank is emptying
Old 04-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgmar View Post
You don't need gray tank that full - that's wasting a lot of water. 1/4 is ok- it's basically rinsing out the hose after the black tank is emptying
Note to self...not so much water needed...CHECK! TANX
Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Other rigs might be overwieght travelling with all 3 tanks full. Water weighs what, 7 pounds a gallon? So all three full = half a ton of discardable weight.
Water weighs 8.345 lbs/gal
Our rig carries 110 gallons of fresh water although I usually carry to tank. Empty the grey and black as needed although if I know it'll be a few days I'll empty before I need to.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #21

For as disgusting as it sounds, get yourself one of the clear elbows that goes between the tank outlet and the drain hose, you'll find out real quick how much you need lots of liquid in that black tank, and how much flushing with clear water at the end of your trip it really takes to get that tank clean. You can find a couple good videos on you tube about black tank cleaning too. Check "black tank flush" Good luck and enjoy !!!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I leave the grey tank open 24/7 and the black tank closed 24/7 when hooked up.

The night before leaving I close the grey tank to build up water to rinse the sewer hose.

I have rinse system built into my black tank. I will dump before traveling. If the black tank is not at least 2/3rd full I add the necessary water via the rinse system. Then I drain the black tank, close the valve and fill it once more and dump. Occasionally if the water coming out of the black tank is not clear (I use a clear elbow) after 2nd rinse i will fill and rinse a 3rd time.

Close the black tank valve and open the grey to rinse the hose.

Close grey tank valve add a few gallons of water to the black tank via the rinse system. Go inside and add a cup of water softener to the black tank via the toilet. Helps keep stuff from sticking to the side of the tank. The days driving will slosh the water softener around the tank walls.

I like traveling with the black tank essentially empty so the water softener has a chance to coat all the tank surfaces as it sloshes. SInce I've doing this I haven't had a bad sensor reading. Prior to trying this my black was always 1/3 rd full according to the meter.

Done.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
to add to the above posts:
i dump when my black tank is above 2/3 or add water to make it 2/3. i always add 1 tst orange packet to the black tank after dumping. when traveling, i want at least 5 gal. in the black tank then add 2 capfuls of liquid calgon (from wally world) to keep the sensors clean.

when dumping, i want at least 20 gal. in my gray tank. i add 2 cups of bleach to the gray tank to use for flushing the stinky slinky after dumping the black tank.
this deodorizes the stinky slinky, making it not so stinky.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
More good reading. Being a newb to this stuff, I have learned some more things to make my life a little easyer.
Dave Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #25

Is it ok to multi-flush the black tank, till it runs clear, to summerize my MH and leave it empty for 6 months until I use it?

I do fill the fresh to prevent bacteria from forming with a partial full tank and add a little chlorine before the first trip.

Also, I use soft water in my fresh tank from my S&B. Is that as good as using Calgon in the black tank?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Is it ok to multi-flush the black tank, till it runs clear, to summerize my MH and leave it empty for 6 months until I use it?

I do fill the fresh to prevent bacteria from forming with a partial full tank and add a little chlorine before the first trip.

Also, I use soft water in my fresh tank from my S&B. Is that as good as using Calgon in the black tank?
After cleaning the black tank, I would add a few gallons of water to make certain that seals, etc. do not dry out. When we put our mh in storage for the winter we empty and flush the tank at our last stop. We then drive the final leg to our winter home, and use the tank as normal during the last day's drive. The black tank will get used occasionally while in storage while we clean/repair it, or as it is used for day trips or occasional weekends. When we leave for the summer, we just use until full and then dump and flush as normal. May not be by the book, but has worked for us for five years with no issues.

After the mh has been in storage with the water tank 2/3 full, we sanitize the system with chlorine at our first summer stop. During the first day's drive we use the water normally.

I would not think that soft water would have the same properties as water with a wetter, like Calgon, added. Maybe a lurking chemist can better answer.

IMO, we all worry too much about the black tank. As long as you use enough liquid to avoid the mound of doom, just about whatever works for you will probably be ok.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #27

With my 5er, whenever I dumped, I added a packet of Thetford and a couple 3 toilet fulls of water and never had a problem.

The pipe to my black tank from the toilet was down, 45, down, so if a mound ever formed, I didn't know it. If it did, the drive home would have fixed that.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
A related question... While trying to dump grey/black tanks at ~2/3 levels... and travel light whenever possible, we discovered one day that our black tank was ready to be dumped but the grey tank registered very low. We were perplexed as we had been hooked to a water source and using water freely. While emptying the black tank (before opening grey valve) we flushed toilet to run more water thru, and then ran water in bathroom area sink,... Which also seemed to be draining into the black tank?? Is this typical? We assumed both sinks drained into the grey tank... is this not true?