Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-06-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
When winterizing, why can't I just add anti-freeze?

Hi everyone,

This is my first winter with an RV. I live in Cleveland Ohio and right now it's 12 degrees. My rig is in an indoor heated storage facility and I didn't winterize. I'm going to Florida in February with stops in Cincinnati, Chattanooga, Tallahassee, and then on to Naples. I'll be returning to Cleveland and cold temperatures again at the end of February.

I haven't drained my water system. Why can't I just add anti-freeze, and then just flush that out when I get to warmer weather? Then on the way back, just add anti-freeze again? Why does the system have to be drained first?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

RV Newbie as of May 2014
Thor Four Winds 31L
Toad=2012 Chevy Equinox
KenMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 10:36 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can, but it will take more anti-freeze since you will be mixxing some of the pure anti-freeze with water. You want pure anti-freeze for the most part.
I drain the lines, then add the anti-freeze. Some drain the lines, blow them out and add the anti-freeze. Others just blow out the lines although with that method you take a chance on not all the water being removed and pooling then freezing which can also brake a line.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:48 AM   #3

MrD's process shouldn't take much of your time and will give you the protection your seeking. We used to live in Maine and followed the identical process with temperature as low as -19F! I would suggest using your hot water bypass and leaving that empty and dump your fresh water tank completely.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Good things come to those that wait.
jtermini30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
Right now the weather is extreme and you risk damaging your water system. For the effort and cost required you would be better served winterizing with RV antifreeze.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38V
pcurt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:18 AM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If it is in a heated facility then you should not have any problems with freezing UNLESS you loose power. So at the least, drain your water heater, put it on by pass, open your low water drains and blow out your lines. Empty fresh water tank and gray and black tanks. a little antifreeze in the sink, commode and shower drains should do the trick IF you loose power to your heated facility.
Charlie & Diane Amato
2014 Thor Tuscany 40XE XTE DP
Ferndale, Arkansas
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I would just blow out the lines and drain the tanks for the trip south. Do a more comprehensive winterizing when you come back in Feb.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 35' - White Tiger
Cape Cod
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
You have heated tanks right, they are heated by the propane furnace. I assume you'll run the furnace for personal heat while heading South. That should prevent them, and water lines from freezing. Run water heater to protect it from freezing while in cold weather. One thing many forget/overlook is the water pump, some are close to an access door and subjected to colder temps than the rest of the water lines. I use a remote thermometer to watch temps in the water pump bay.
Returning, watch the weather ahead of you to determine when to winterize, OR, wait until you get the coach back into that heated storage where you don't need to winterize by doing the same as when going South.

When winterizing with RV anti-freeze, water should be drained first, otherwise when you get home you'll have water in your holding tanks because the RV anti-freeze pushed it out of the water system and into the holding tanks. You then have the problem of where to drain holding tanks in freezing weather. Of course this may be accomplished at your last CG stop before getting home-if you find one open. Can't do it sooner because you are living in the MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #8
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Also keep in mind that rv antifreeze will actually freeze, it just doesn't expand.

Not all who wander are lost.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote