Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When ya just don't have time... what do you do?

What do you do when you don't have the time to go camping in your RV or you just miss being in it, like we are feeling right now?

Why ya pack up the RV and camp in your driveway or a small piece of land you have that might fit. We are lucky enough to have plenty of land where we can boondock. We just are so booked up we don't have the time to getaway from home so we are camping on the other side of our property.

It feels great being back in the Desert Drifter. We have missed her so much. Two weeks in the shop and now a week at home just sitting there pleading to be used. I just couldn't take it any more.

Signs, I'm a happy camper right now. Planning our getaways tonight.

Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
We "squat" in the sister in laws drive way. Good rate on camping and free food as well

middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
I am starting to move all the stuff out of stick house to the rig for the winter and I will live in it in the driveway for a week to check everything out before we leave to go south before it gets below freezing...
Sheri & Don 2003 Dynasty 42" regal ISL 400
2007 Goldwing Trike Gmc 4X4 w/ autoloader for trike
Lets go we got it all loaded.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by middleman210 View Post
We "squat" in the sister in laws drive way. Good rate on camping and free food as well
X 2 @ my brothers place same on the food even has taken us out for Chinese, YUM
Can't get much better. There's talk I might get my own dedicated 30 amp serv.too...
Only 45 minutes too his place
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1108.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	74729  
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
X 2 @ my brothers place same on the food even has taken us out for Chinese, YUM
Can't get much better. There's talk I might get my own dedicated 30 amp serv.too...
Only 45 minutes too his place

Less than ten to sis in laws now we have friends 3 hours away that have full hook ups for when we come to visit their farm.
middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
We were the same. We also had a 2006 Sightseer 29R. We would pop out to a state park 18 miles away. When we needed to, we could drive into town for shopping, appointments, etc.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
We'll just head over the hill to the lake, 20 minutes; do some fishing in the evening and morning, then head back.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
We try and camp at least every weekend, even during boating season (hot weather). Luckily there are two campgrounds at the lake we boat at, only 20 minutes from our house, and the RV is always ready to go. We miss camping so much during the winter that we upgraded to a four season capable rig in January so now, we expect to camp year round if only for a weekend at a time.
tfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:46 AM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I get 5 weeks vacation every year, and with holidays and bank holidays I can usually stretch it out to 6. I'm not at all certain I'll be able to talk DW into RVing on every vacation (though I will try my damnedest), I want to be in it as much as possible. But, as much as I'm looking forward to a week or so on the road at a time, I'm also very much looking forward to stealing as many weekends as I can staying pretty close to home.

As much as I love my wife and her company, if there's a weekend she doesn't want to go, well... we've spent weekends apart and it hasn't stopped us being together 35 years. I think we'll survive if I solo in the RV once in a while for a day or two (or three) Here ya go, hunny

Here in Las Vegas, we have a lot of awesome options. Mount Charleston is absolutely gorgeous year round and it's only 30-45 minutes away to the west. I think there are 3 or 4 RV parks up there, averaging around 6000-8000 feet if I recall correctly (the peak is just under 12k). Plenty to do, or not do, and some of the most gorgeous mountain forests I've ever seen.

90 minutes to the north, we have The Valley of Fire, which is the exact opposite of Mount Charleston. Desert plains, red rock canyons, rock formations that catch the setting sun in breathtaking awe. It'd be a hoot to jump out of the rig at dawn and watch the sun creep over the desert.

Well, that's what I'm envisioning anyway. A boy can dream, can't he?
2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 4302
pulling a 2013 Ford Edge Limited

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #10
Tiffin Owners Club
Local beach state parks 15 mi. away, one next door to our son's condo! I love the desert in the winter, 60 mi. Our first practice run was at a local state park. Take her for a drive.
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm already starting to go through withdrawals! It's winterizing time up here in Wisconsin and I'm already wishing end of March would get here. We have one trip in two weekends to Indiana to visit family and then thats it, be put into storage. :(

But, if we don't have time (or money) we will simply pop open the slides and camp in the driveway, also we have 5 campgrounds within 15 minutes of our house so we can camp for 35 bucks a night and not go broke driving it anywhere. Looking forward to the last weekend in March 2015, we are driving down to Austin, TX for spring break with the kiddos! We lived down there for 4 years in the early 2000's, can't wait!!!!
JBro '08 Fleetwood Fiesta LX
Ford Chassis
brocja01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
If we don't have time? Well, in addition to "camping" while parked in the driveway, we head to a beautiful little campground in the Columbia Gorge just twenty miles away.

And since we have the WA State "off season pass" it's only $10 per night. In fact, after reading this, we're planning on going there tonight!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've always heard that we make time for the things that are most important to us! Of course, providing for the family has to come first!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
We are lucky to live in a state where weather is not a crippling factor, although we have many more issues that are. So, we keep the moho on the side of the house plugged in 24/7, keep non-perishable items in refer, keep a well stocked clothes supply and staples, so we can get up and git in a heartbeat. However, when we are home, the moho is my quiet nap place if I need one in the afternoon, wife knows not to bug me there.

Since rain is so rare around here lately, if it does rain at night, I will sleep out there just to enjoy the raindrops on the roof. Sometimes we go out there to watch Direct TV as we have cable in the house, so it is different programming.

When we visit my son, mother or sister, we are always in our rv; at the end of the day, it is a beautiful quiet getaway from all the chatter.

Wherever and whenever you can stay in your rv, is good.

Barry & Sue Miller(extended RVer's, 6 mos + per/year)
04 Journey 39K, C-7, 330 hp, towing: 02 Dakota 4X or 2013 Ford Edge, Aero 5050XL
doorguy is offline   Reply With Quote