Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #15

I didn't even bother reading all the responses. I can't even imagine changing oil in a campground, especially on our D/P with 19 quarts of oil. We have a very nice RV garage attached to the 2 1/2 car garage at our home and, the floor is professionally covered with Epoxy so, any spills or drips, don't sink in and are wiped up with ease.

I guess if you're a full timer, and you insist on changing it yourself, I'd maybe find a large open parking lot like a Lowes, Home Depot etc. that's maybe either not open yet or, closed for the evening and do it there. That way you'd have no issues with any campground owners or hosts. Otherwise, I'd find a company or system that many of you have mentioned that will handle any size coach and will change it for reasonable price and, install what ever oil you choose.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 06:29 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I put the drained oil in the quart bottles. and park somewhere that the box can be seen. Usually when I get back, it's gone out of the pickup bed.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:54 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
This is my philosophy for EVERYTHING.
I change my own oil, save the old oil in jugs. I seem to always have a brush pile on my place, so when I burn it, I'll pour all the jugs of oil on it just before I light it off.
Or, use it for ground sterilization along the fence row. YMMV
Thank you for the unnecessary methane emissions and the lead in the water table is a nice touch.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
I put the drained oil in the quart bottles. and park somewhere that the box can be seen. Usually when I get back, it's gone out of the pickup bed.
Oh that is funny! I smiled when I first thought about your method of disposal, and then again when I pictured the thief using the oil in their vehicles!
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TNTRacing View Post
Thank you for the unnecessary methane emissions and the lead in the water table is a nice touch.

You are quite welcome. Must be city folk.
Although, I doubt the oil never actually reaches the ground. I pour it on top of the pile then light it off before It reaches the ground.

Besides, oil comes out of the ground doesn't it?
Old 02-22-2016, 01:26 AM   #20

Quote:
You are quite welcome.
Is this you malexander?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_f.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	119586  
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady_Rest View Post
Is this you malexander?

Naw. I just do it in narrow strips.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:10 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a v10 gasser. Any parking lot will do, I installed a fumoto valve to drain the oil into jugs, I fabricated a magnetic tray to place on the front axle under the oil filter to catch any drips while changing the filter, and I have a hand pump to pump new oil in directly from the jugs.
I pull into a corner of a parking lot, place a service mat on the ground, slide under with two gallon jugs, a new oil filter and mag tray, I place the tray on the axle, drain the old oil into the jugs, change the filter and get out from under the bus, I then pump in seven quarts of new oil. Done and cleaned up in 10 to 15 minutes and no mess.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
I have a v10 gasser. Any parking lot will do, I installed a fumoto valve to drain the oil into jugs, I fabricated a magnetic tray to place on the front axle under the oil filter to catch any drips while changing the filter, and I have a hand pump to pump new oil in directly from the jugs.
I pull into a corner of a parking lot, place a service mat on the ground, slide under with two gallon jugs, a new oil filter and mag tray, I place the tray on the axle, drain the old oil into the jugs, change the filter and get out from under the bus, I then pump in seven quarts of new oil. Done and cleaned up in 10 to 15 minutes and no mess.

Then you can just pour the used oil down the storm drain, so you can throw the jugs in the trash can.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:06 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 on the Fumoto valve. I have done it in many a parking lot and camping facility when we were on the road full time. I attatch the hose and drain it into gallon jugs from the last oil change. The key is to be quick and not drag out half the tool box. I slide under with an oil filter wrench and a jug, flip the valve, drain, switch out filters and Im done underneath. Once up top they just think im checking fluids. I might slide under later for a quick lube with my cordless grease gun. Oh yea, at home on the farm? Used oil for starting brush piles and bonfires for the kids works great. Weeds along the ditch or fenceline? Again used oil or diesel fuel. Lot of farmers that used many "special mixtures" to spray down their entire driveways and access roads to keep the weeds down. Those pesky cancer causing herbicides just cost too dam much.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Then you can just pour the used oil down the storm drain, so you can throw the jugs in the trash can.
Out of sight out of mind?

Ever wonder where all of this oil goes when it gets "recycled"???? Have you ever bought and used recycled oil? Just a WAG here, but I would think 99% of used oil is burnt as fuel (or poured on brush piles to help getting the fire going real hot).

Ever wonder where used batteries go to get recycled? Not a pretty picture if you care for people or the environment.

Ever wonder how sewage is recycled?

Inquiring minds want to know
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #26

Quote:
You are quite welcome. Must be city folk.

Yep, because the ground in the country doesn't get polluted by dumping used oil on it! Only City dirt!

Besides, oil comes out of the ground doesn't it?
Also yep it does, so does arsenic and asbestos, but I wouldn't want either of those around where my kids play either!

Oil in the engine yesterday, on the fence row today, in your tap water tomorrow . . . .

Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote