Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #29

I will not re-fuel (diesel) at small stations (my local WM excepted- the school system re-fuels there). The key to having a trouble-free diesel engine is good clean fuel. At a small low-volume station the risk of buying contaminated fuel is greater. If I were more concerned about fuel costs than avoiding spending my money on engine repairs(and the inconvenience) my position might be different.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2014, 03:03 AM   #30

National RV Owners Club
A bit off topic but maybe someone has the answer. The gas prices between stations varies a lot more that where I live in Canada. In some instances it seems to change by as much as .15 cents per gallon and the stations are right across the street from one another. Is it some kind of quality assurance issue or is it something else. I'm always a little leery of the cheapest places but even brand name stations seem to vary quite a bit from one another.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:56 AM   #31

Where do you fuel and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I will not re-fuel (diesel) at small stations (my local WM excepted- the school system re-fuels there). The key to having a trouble-free diesel engine is good clean fuel. At a small low-volume station the risk of buying contaminated fuel is greater. If I were more concerned about fuel costs than avoiding spending my money on engine repairs(and the inconvenience) my position might be different.

I agree. If they are not busy they don't have enough product turnover. Stations with national refiner affilliations are busy and generally have newer and larger stations with easy access, like Murphys, Costco, Kroger, Circle-K, etc, hence no fuel related motor issues.
Here is the station in my previous post about Yuma. Filled up there today, and several MHs and 5-ers were also there.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1417513882.668578.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	769.9 KB
ID:	80374
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1417514145.019609.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	760.2 KB
ID:	80375  

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Those small ,tight stations would be just fine if we wern't towing anything..........
Maybe I just can't see yours behind, in the photo's?
Old 12-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Those small ,tight stations would be just fine if we wern't towing anything..........
Maybe I just can't see yours behind, in the photo's?

A red Wrangler, 2nd pic. Darn thing follows me everywhere!
If you look close, I was on the end fueling station. Nowadays, they are far from tight. The diesel is on the outboard stations for easier access.
I plan my entry and exit so I don't need to back up. Had to unhook the toad only 2 times since 2001, but none since 2003.
The CDL training guide has been the most help over time, especially the button-hook turn.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
Thanks for all the input so far.

I am surprised that truckers are willing to pay considerably higher prices at the truck stops. With the volume of fuel they go through I would have thought those locations would have lower prices.
The major truck stops offer a reduced price diesel for commercial vehicles...typically called PUC prices. Typically you can see this price advertised on their large displays that you can see from the freeway/highway...but once you get to the pump, you'll find the non-PUC price will be much higher. Something to do with federal taxes, I think.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #35
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We just returned from Yosemite last weekend and because this discussion ALWAYS comes up, I frequently check the prices of Flying J, Pilot, etc. On Hwy 99, we passed two Flying J's, one was .35 cents more a gallon and one was .40 cents more a gallon than a local name brand station at the next off ramp. Usually, the differential is about .8 - .10 cents more a gallon....they have been climbing lately.

Yes, my motor home was expensive, but I'm not rich. I worked hard to buy my motor home and I save where I can. Typically, I take on about 40 gallons of fuel at a fill up. I use the PenFed card and save 5% per gallon....usually about .17-.20 cents per gallon. That's $6.80 - $8.00 a fill up saved with the PenFed card and if I buy, at least on this last trip, at a station other than a truck stop, I save an additional $14.00 per fill up. That equals $20.00 plus dollars per fill up. Three fill ups this trip and I'm up $60.00.

I have a 40' coach and tow a 4 door Silverado, (65'). So I'm as long as other coaches.

I also don't buy the fresh diesel argument. I've owned a DP for 11 years and NEVER had a fuel issue. I don't buy from a single pump facility at the end of a dirt road, but local stations have just as fresh fuel.

If you say that over many years you've never found dirty concrete or fuel spills at truck stops, than I would say you probably don't care what you step in and how your RV interior looks.

Lastly, and I know this will cause some grief, including some for me, but I think many of those who only fuel at truck stops are not as comfortable as others with maneuvering their rigs in smaller stations. Maybe in another 10 years I'll have issues with smaller stations.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #36

I was asked via PM what a button hook turn is.
I think it is a fantastic control step.
I don't have my PA CDL book anymore but I found this link that describes maneuvers for trucks that directly apply. It is not quite the same in a long MH due to wheelbase differences, but the principles are the same. I have about 10K miles of "practice" behind me in my 42 footer.
Best wishes!
http://www.truck-drivers-money-savin...ight-turn.html

Old 12-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #37
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I was asked via PM what a button hook turn is.
I think it is a fantastic control step.
I don't have my PA CDL book anymore but I found this link that describes maneuvers for trucks that directly apply. It is not quite the same in a long MH due to wheelbase differences, but the principles are the same. I have about 10K miles of "practice" behind me in my 42 footer.
Best wishes!
Avoid a Right Turn Accident in Your Tractor Trailer

Thanks Dave! Good info!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
A red Wrangler, 2nd pic. Darn thing follows me everywhere!
If you look close, I was on the end fueling station. Nowadays, they are far from tight. The diesel is on the outboard stations for easier access.
I plan my entry and exit so I don't need to back up. Had to unhook the toad only 2 times since 2001, but none since 2003.
The CDL training guide has been the most help over time, especially the button-hook turn.
Ah.......I see it back there.......I also have fueled in these........with my 30' trailer on back........ I do not pull into anyplace that will/might present a problem, with several hundred K miles under my belt, I have just about seen it all.......If not to many auto's are using these places ,not to bad......the auto's are the biggest problem, not the fueling area. I have hogged these places up before waiting my turn at the pump, I can not read lips......but...... Even learned hand language in small stations once
From what I have seen, the folks in car's seem to think these big Coach's should not be plugging up the auto islands Most of our rigs are just as long as most semi's.......wonder why they don't fuel at these pumps?
Old 12-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
From what I have seen, the folks in car's seem to think these big Coach's should not be plugging up the auto islands Most of our rigs are just as long as most semi's.......wonder why they don't fuel at these pumps?

Well, the folks in autos have never given me any guff. But many of them have stared in awe as I maneuver in without bumping them, or scraping the sky. I take the space of 2 pumps, toad and all, as seen in pic 2.
Trucks fuel where they are told to, me thinks, and have company negotiated rates much below the P/FJ or Loves posted pricing.
However, the fuel tankers manage to get into position to unload just as well as I get into position to load up.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #40

We bought our first RV a year ago. During the driving learning curve it was strictly PFJ's. Now, 12,000 miles later, it's Sams Club, Walmart, Shell, or any name brand station. When it's time to fill, I will check out access at local stations as we explore and run errands in the toad.

Just before this trip, I replaced the fuel filter / water separator assembly with one that uses inexpensive filters and only takes a minute to change myself. I also added a vacuum gauge to show the condition of the filter. It paid off. The first 2 micron (finest available) cartridge ($10) lasted 5000 miles before the gauge went into the yellow at fast idle (1000 RPM). One minute to pop in another cartridge and on our way. Shortly after, we filled up at Walmart (Murphy USA) in Effingham, IL. About 75 miles later, the coach started bucking on even the slightest incline. Walked back to look at the vacuum gauge and it was in the red at idle (700 RM). Limped into Cracker Barrel and changed the filter in the parking lot before dinner. Went through several more filters before the tank was empty. We have gone through another tank after that and the gauge is still almost at zero. It would have cost a lot of time and money to have the original style filter changed in shops. Best investment I have made in RV upgrades.

As we were filling up at a local station last week, the supply tanker pulled in. I asked the driver about differences in product quality. His recommendation, very diplomatically phrased, was to stick with the larger chains because they have policies in place for cleaning and removing water from the storage tanks, as opposed to Mom and Pop stations where the decision to spend on maintenance is made by the local owner. He also discussed in very general terms the fact that different chains buy different blends (additives).

Most stations have a sticker on the pump that reads #2 Diesel. The car station I filled up at yesterday had a large marketing sticker on the pump that had several points about how exceptional their super-duper diesel was. I know the blends change with season in the northern latitudes. Does anybody have more information on diesel quality and additives?
Old 12-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I get my Fuel products from
1. Shell
2. BP
3. Sams
I also use mid-grade unleaded 91 and once a month I treat her to Premium or Octane @ 93

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to all of you for participating in this discussion.

During our recent 7,500 mile trip we filled at a couple of small traditional stations, as they were all that was available, but mostly we filled up at the large truck stops. Toward the end of the trip I found myself questioning the large price differential more and more, prompting this posting. Todate I have not seen any compelling reason for not using traditional (non-truckstop) stations as long as they appear well maintained by a caring operator and they offer reasonable access to our 43 ft rig and toad. There are of course times when only truck stops are available without running around searching and in those cases I'll just have to suck it up and pay the extra "convenience" dollars.

Unfortunately, being a Canadian, I don't have access to a Penn card and they card I use offers a more limited cash back reward.

I would also like to respond to comments regarding spending big bucks on a big rig and then cheaping out on the fuel. I spent the last 1/2 century working hard and saving money to retire and I was fortunate enough to have accumulated enough to buy a nice rig and travel. During this journey to retirement I also learned a number of valuable lessons, including not wasting money frivolously on a more expensive option that does not offer any additional value. In this case I could not see any added value in using truck stops, other than the items I mentioned, so I wanted to see if others with greater experience knew something I did not. To me, it appears they do not, in this regard at least.

Tags
fuel