Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #43

Where do you fuel and why?

If easy access is not a problem, and money savings aside, I find the car gas station to be a more pleasant experience. I may have to swipe my card three times, but I have never stopped to wipe the diesel and gunk off my shoes, have engaged in pleasant conversations with wanna-be RVers, and have never witnessed altercations between customers as I have at FJ.

FJ experiences have been less than positive. The last one had no propane. Another had a propane hose that was too short to reach the RV. More than one has water coming out of the air hose. I pressed the button to release air and produced a large wet spot on the ground. The manager acknowledged the problem and assured me that they had plans to address that issue some day with new drying equipment. This makes it difficult to justify a premium price for fuel.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #44
TRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
We just returned from Yosemite last weekend and because this discussion ALWAYS comes up, I frequently check the prices of Flying J, Pilot, etc. On Hwy 99, we passed two Flying J's, one was .35 cents more a gallon and one was .40 cents more a gallon than a local name brand station at the next off ramp. Usually, the differential is about .8 - .10 cents more a gallon....they have been climbing lately.

Yes, my motor home was expensive, but I'm not rich. I worked hard to buy my motor home and I save where I can. Typically, I take on about 40 gallons of fuel at a fill up. I use the PenFed card and save 5% per gallon....usually about .17-.20 cents per gallon. That's $6.80 - $8.00 a fill up saved with the PenFed card and if I buy, at least on this last trip, at a station other than a truck stop, I save an additional $14.00 per fill up. That equals $20.00 plus dollars per fill up. Three fill ups this trip and I'm up $60.00.

I have a 40' coach and tow a 4 door Silverado, (65'). So I'm as long as other coaches.

I also don't buy the fresh diesel argument. I've owned a DP for 11 years and NEVER had a fuel issue. I don't buy from a single pump facility at the end of a dirt road, but local stations have just as fresh fuel.

If you say that over many years you've never found dirty concrete or fuel spills at truck stops, than I would say you probably don't care what you step in and how your RV interior looks.

Lastly, and I know this will cause some grief, including some for me, but I think many of those who only fuel at truck stops are not as comfortable as others with maneuvering their rigs in smaller stations. Maybe in another 10 years I'll have issues with smaller stations.
Excellent post!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I was asked via PM what a button hook turn is.
I think it is a fantastic control step.
I don't have my PA CDL book anymore but I found this link that describes maneuvers for trucks that directly apply. It is not quite the same in a long MH due to wheelbase differences, but the principles are the same. I have about 10K miles of "practice" behind me in my 42 footer.
Best wishes!
Avoid a Right Turn Accident in Your Tractor Trailer
A great straight truck/Motor home maneuver is pull forward past the turn about 10-15 feet, then turn opposite way while backing up. Then pull forward in the direction you want to go, this will allow you to make a tighter turn with long wheel base
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I will not re-fuel (diesel) at small stations (my local WM excepted- the school system re-fuels there). The key to having a trouble-free diesel engine is good clean fuel. At a small low-volume station the risk of buying contaminated fuel is greater. If I were more concerned about fuel costs than avoiding spending my money on engine repairs(and the inconvenience) my position might be different.
The key to a long life in a Diesel engine is constantly changing the fuel filters. A water separator is a wonderful thing to have as well. I own a fleet of dump trucks and I am a diesel mechanic. I make my drivers buy wherever they can get cheap fuel. Yes I have had a few problems with fuel, but I change the filter and it fixes it 100% of the time. 3 of my Peterbilts have over a million miles on them.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #45

I will not buy at mom and pop gas stations as they don't sell enough diesel fuel. The last thing I want to do is crawl under the motor to replace my fuel filters because I bought a tank full of bad fuel. The end there're is the problem of getting rid of 150 gallons of bad diesel and cleaning the tank if necessary. Water is your enemy when it comes to diesel fuel. It is at the point where water touches the fuel that the "critters" grow and if you get a tank of that you are in for some expensive repairs. I will only buy where they'd sell a lot of fuel (I know there is no guarantee of good fuel) but at least the tanks in the ground will be constantly depleted and refilled. JMHO
Steve
05 Panther
Old 12-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Ron_H,
Exclusively at PFJ because of all the previously mentioned reasons. All the "talk" about lower prices elsewhere, for me, just doesn't cut it. The wife has the gas buddy application. For the effort and energy needed to maybe get a few cents more off a gallon is not worth it. I am at a time in life where security and convenience begin to take a "front seat" in my decision making.
X-2 Gary
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:26 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
When I had my 37' itasca & pulled Saturn it was always can I get in and out. Also with my Saturn Outlook & Trailmanor (2). But now with my 23 H Navion & now Not pulling anything. Where ever My Gas buddy says go I do.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Ron_H,
Exclusively at PFJ because of all the previously mentioned reasons. All the "talk" about lower prices elsewhere, for me, just doesn't cut it. The wife has the gas buddy application. For the effort and energy needed to maybe get a few cents more off a gallon is not worth it. I am at a time in life where security and convenience begin to take a "front seat" in my decision making.

Last week we filled up at Sams Club. The difference in diesel price to the nearest FJ was 40 cents, or $40 per tank. As I see it, Sams Club gave us a free dinner out for two just for stopping there, which is where we were going for groceries anyway. A motorist at another pump stared at the MH, smiled, and gave me a thumbs up. You just don't get that at the truck stop.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:13 AM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
A motorist at another pump stared at the MH, smiled, and gave me a thumbs up. You just don't get that at the truck stop.
That really isn't true. I've had truckers lean out of their cab at truck stops and give me a thumbs up, and/or say "Nice rig".

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #50

If you follow these rules at a truck stop to move forward after you are finished so the next guy can get in there to start filling and then after you are done paying move out of the fueling area you should never have a problem. I have been doing that for years, never had anyone give me a hard time and the store certainly doesn't mind my money.
Steve
Old 12-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #51

I'm heading south I5 to Palm Springs. I'm driving a 38 ' diesel pusher with toad. I applied for Pilot/FyyingJ card but won't have it before I leave. My question is can I fuel up at pilot, SAMs club (I'm a member) and the others mentioned with payment by VISA will all accept this vs member cards?
Old 12-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #52

Where do you fuel and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post
My question is can I fuel up at pilot, SAMs club (I'm a member) and the others mentioned with payment by VISA will all accept this vs member cards?

Sams pumps will accept Visa. The Sams MasterCard gives you 5% off on fuel.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #53

I have never had a problem with any driver at a truck stop. But I wait by the rig until DW goes into the fuel desk with a credit card, she comes out and gives me the , I fuel, pull up so the next driver can get to the pumps, she pays and we go (usually to the diner). Now we have the pay-at-the-pump Pilot/FJ card so it's quicker to move on.

We also have a card-lock account from Pioneer Fuel/Pacific Pride (available to non-commercial rv'ers). I really prefer to fuel at these unattended fuel stops because they are usually very clean and rarely is even one other driver there. When there is another driver there, they usually want to talk!

By the way, I talked with Pioneer Fuel today because I wanted a newer directory. The rep told me they are no longer printing directories but that a smartphone app is, or soon will be, available for smartphones. She also said that after the first of the year Pacific Pride and CFN are merging.

Have fun! Drive safely!
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:48 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Pilot/FJ Card as well as Pacific Pride. Unfortunately for them I rarely use them. They are generally WAY overpriced and I have no problem getting in to most stations !
I use Gas Buddy to check prices and will phone ahead to see what lane to use for ease of in and out. Works great and I keep those greedy hands out of my back pocket !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:17 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I also have the Piolet / FJ card and like the RV islands. I am 68 feet long so I am limited to the larger locations. Their billing system and 6 cents off cash price is ok.
xfirechief20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #56

Driving across Phoenix yesterday, diesel prices ranged from $3.60 down to $2.70, and these were all at the same brand stations. A 90 cent difference. So do we fill up now or wait for even lower prices?

What do snowbirds do? Do you park for the season with a full or empty tank? I am guessing full in Florida to avoid breathing damp air. What about Arizona?

Tags
fuel