Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
I almost always use FJ/Pilot. I can easily map out my stops in advance from their website or iphone app. I have seen prices very competitive & also ridiculously overpriced. Along I-85 in NC between Charlotte & Lexington NC the Pilot is the cheapest of any convenient gas station to the interstate after using the rv frequent fuelers $.03 discount. This is diesel or gas. I drive this trip twice a day 3-4 times a week & I use gasbuddy to check for the best price. So in my opinion those that say FJ/P is always more may be so in your area but not in mine. I have used WM and have gotten 1-1.5 mile less per gallon for a full tank of fuel & I usually fill up at 65-75 gallons & I have tried this on a couple of occasions with the same results from different WM stations. To me this doesn't justify the savings & difficulty trying to get into some of these stations with a 65' rig.

When at FJ/P I use the truck lanes & my Discover card with the RV frequent fuelers card. At the truck pumps I get to fill in one setting of the pump no matter how much I put in , at the rv lane or auto lanes I am limited to $75 & have to reset then they only let me reset twice, then I need to go inside & have a cashier turn on the pump. For this reason & a few others I use the truck pump lanes & pull up when I am done fueling. I do have to go inside & pay & get receipt. But I almost always need to go inside to use the facilities anyways.

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Driving across Phoenix yesterday, diesel prices ranged from $3.60 down to $2.70, and these were all at the same brand stations. A 90 cent difference. So do we fill up now or wait for even lower prices?

What do snowbirds do? Do you park for the season with a full or empty tank? I am guessing full in Florida to avoid breathing damp air. What about Arizona?
Book mark this GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada , enter your zip, or location, and even look ahead......for fuel where you are going to see what it is before you het there.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Checked Gasbuddy.com prior to leaving Tallahassee Fl and found fuel in Norman Park Ga right on 319, price was $2.79/gal. Filled up and made it home and will wait until the price in TN comes down before filling up.

1 mile from my home it's $3.35/ gal, 7 miles away the local Coop has it for $2.99/gal. Doesn't really make sense but that's why I use Gasbuddy.

I fill up where the prices is the cheapest and not out of my way, I plan my stops based on current fuel level and distance I need to travel.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #60

Some folks have not seen the new, bigger stations. This one across the street from a FJ.
42 + toad. Easy-peasy, convenient and no need to back up. Give it a try! In this case, the price was $0.49 difference yesterday.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1419701976.441353.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  91.5 KB

West Memphis AR.
You know what an FJ looks like. Truck fleets get rebates or discount contracts. We don't.
Here are the prices; 38 cents more at FJ. All are on I-40.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1419701997.618096.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  67.9 KB
Here is google earth of the lower priced places.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1419702013.642885.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1419702028.069411.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  90.4 KB
Lots of ROOM!!!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #61

Seems like many folks have used truck stops for many years. Well, access to the newer fuel stations is much easier today!

I have had no problems maneuvering since I learned how. This link teaches maneuvers for trucks. It is not quite the same in a long MH due to wheelbase differences, but the principles are the same.

GasBuddy and GoogleEarth help to make it even easier, and even more economical.

Give it a try. Save some money!

Best wishes!

http://www.truck-drivers-money-savin...ight-turn.html

Old 12-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #62
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Seems like many folks have used truck stops for many years. Well, access to the newer fuel stations is much easier today!

I have had no problems maneuvering since I learned how. This link teaches maneuvers for trucks. It is not quite the same in a long MH due to wheelbase differences, but the principles are the same.

GasBuddy and GoogleEarth help to make it even easier, and even more economical.

Give it a try. Save some money!

Best wishes!

Avoid a Right Turn Accident in Your Tractor Trailer

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #63

Where do you fuel and why?

Flying J almost exclusively.

Convenience trumps price every time.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Flying J almost exclusively.

Convenience trumps price every time.

The examples I provided showed convenience at regular stations at price differences of $38 and $49 per 100 gallons. The difference here today is still $40.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #65

I don't have a MH yet but we do travel in a Diesel pickup and I use to drive truck coast to coast. I tend to gravitate to a smaller mom and pop place. Less busy for one thing. May not be as fancy as the big places but big deal Im getting fuel. There is one route we take to get off "the big road" and take 2 lane. Most any bigger small town has a farmers co-op that sells diesel. You will get better service and you will not meet any nicer people than that. One tip I learned. No matter where you choose to buy fuel do not buy if the fuel delivery truck is there filling the tanks of if you see the delivery truck leaving. when they fill the tanks it stirs up all the junk off the bottom of the tank.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:27 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Flying J/ Pilot, Loves, besides being overpriced, I have found that because of the food and shopping offered inside, ignorant people will leave their vehicle at the pumps while they shop inside. Not that I mind. I just have better things to do with my time, like sightseeing !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:13 AM   #67

I use Flyingj exclusively, Good Sam Lifetime Credit Card gets me 8cents off the cash price. Easy access from interstate, swipe card,pump,receipt, never go inside. Plus my fuel filters last a long time. Flyingj also has a App that shows the Js that have Bio diesel, which I don't buy. 95% of all fuel in Florida is some sort of bio deisel which is not good for sitting for a while. Just my opinion.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:04 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does anyone use Pacific Pride ? I used to use them until they were no longer competitive . It looks as though they might be getting their pricing back under control.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Does anyone use Pacific Pride ? I used to use them until they were no longer competitive . It looks as though they might be getting their pricing back under control.

I have started to notice the Pacific Pride stations since people mentioned them here. In general, they look like run down, abandoned businesses with no customers. Without a steady flow of customers, how long does it take to cycle a tank of fuel? If they are not concerned about what the customer can see, how much money do they spend on keeping the tanks clean? If a restaurant can't be bothered to clean the restrooms that the customer can see, why would they bother to clean the kitchen that the customer can't see?

Do you just sign up for a card, or is there a contract involved? Can you pay the bill with a credit card to get the card discount?
Old 02-02-2015, 07:40 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpierce View Post
Weird. I have over 2 million miles in a Peterbilt, always fueling at truckstops, and have yet to "trash" a pair of shoes.

And it's all your fault!!!

jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel