Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2010, 03:23 PM   #15

We carry 20# BBQ tanks with us. While we can refill our permanent mount RV tank at most truckstops and propane gas dealers, we can also swap out the 20# tanks with no problem. We have even found 24 hour tank swaps at Home Depot. We lived for a time in a town that charged twice as much to refill a 20# tanks as it did to swap the same size tank out at an Amerigas tank exchange. We are now down to three 20# tanks (two travel with us, one is in storage). We will always carry at least one tank with us as an emergency back up.
AmeriGas Propane : Builder and Contractor

Blue Rhino - Find a Rhino Location
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:11 PM   #16

Look for the "Alternatve Fuel" signs in smaller towns.

We filled up in POST, TEXAS at a small Mom & Pop Propane place and paid $ 2.23 per gallon.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Just checked flying J web site 3.39 maybe that will come down a little after heating season
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #18

U-Haul has a web site and posts prices on LP. They gave me the alternative fuel price each time I filled the tank. U-Haul: Propane Refill Stations
Old 02-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flying J but after the $3.39 I will ask first.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
I filled up at a Flying J to the tune of $2.95 per gallon. Last season I was banged $4.00 per gallon at a campground and unfortunately never asked until I went inside to pay. I've heard reports of places that charge a flat rate no matter how much you get.

In the future I'll be shopping a bit and just top it off when I find a reasonable price.
My propane supplier just tried to charge me $4.12 a gallon ($1000 worth) at my house, needless to say I fired them today, so they are having to come out and pick up the tank. You can also stop by most propane suppliers, there lots are made for their 18 wheel supplier trucks to get in and out, so it's not too bad with a motorhome.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
We carry 20# BBQ tanks with us. While we can refill our permanent mount RV tank at most truckstops and propane gas dealers, we can also swap out the 20# tanks with no problem. We have even found 24 hour tank swaps at Home Depot. We lived for a time in a town that charged twice as much to refill a 20# tanks as it did to swap the same size tank out at an Amerigas tank exchange. We are now down to three 20# tanks (two travel with us, one is in storage). We will always carry at least one tank with us as an emergency back up.
AmeriGas Propane : Builder and Contractor

Blue Rhino - Find a Rhino Location
It was Amerigas that just tried to charge me $4.12 a gallon.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #22

U-Haul has it listed for $2.89 a gallon in my area, looks like Amerigas was looking to make a quick buck!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #23

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I use a local Propane Company to fill when at home and before any trip. The price is generally lower then any convenience store or Flying J. Flying J RV lanes always seem to have the tank on the oposite side of the RV and you have to buck traffic, however their price is normally good.
My last fill at the Propane Company was $2.93 per gallon and I was told the price had jumped in the last few weeks. This was attributed to the cold weather on the East Coast.
The Industry is known to be thieves, worst then the big oil companies
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As you travel, most small towns will have a propane dealer. They usually have a good size lot to get in and out of.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #25

Small towns and especially farming communities. Some high priced son- of-a-gun comes into town and try to charge the farmers an arm and a leg, they will tar and feather them before they can make it to the city limits.

That goes for other items also. I had a re-built alternator put on at a Freightliner place and the bill was over $ 800 before I got out of there, and it took four days.

In Seminole, TX (when the re-built stopped working) I had a NEW Delco put on the same day for under $ 300.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #26
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Damn, I thought I was getting hosed for $1.65
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #27

In January I had a propane delivery service fill the tank while at an RV park in Las Vegas. It was $2.60 per gallon. Hopefully that fill up should last until next fall.

The best price Ive paid was last July (2009) while in Missula MT. It was at an RV service store near the interstate, Buddy something...maybe.. Anyway, $0.99 per gallon and a free dump station next to the propane fill station. To bad I only needed 12 gallons to fill!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #28

FYI, YA'LL

We have been FLYING-J RV MEMBERS for the last 15 years and use the discounts all across the USA. It does not cost you to join.

check the link below...

Flying J

Ray
U.S. Army, SGM, [RET]
2008 Holiday Rambler Neptune XL - 40'
yar1982mmer is offline   Reply With Quote