Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2010, 07:16 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where does one purchase propane when on the road?

The title pretty much sums it up. I can have my tank filled at our local hardware store, but it's really tough getting the rv into and out of the proper place. There must be a better way. Do any or all of the major truckstop chains sell propane? Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2010, 07:24 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Most Flying J truck stops sell propane as well as many campgrounds.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:34 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I filled up at a Flying J to the tune of $2.95 per gallon. Last season I was banged $4.00 per gallon at a campground and unfortunately never asked until I went inside to pay. I've heard reports of places that charge a flat rate no matter how much you get.

In the future I'll be shopping a bit and just top it off when I find a reasonable price.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:41 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have been getting ours at a U-Haul nearby. Since they have pretty large trucks to rent there is a little more room than the hardware store type spots. It is still a little tight to get close enough for them to reach.

On the road Flying J is convenient to get fuel, propane, dump tanks, slice of pretty bad pizza and stay overnight instead of Walmart
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:43 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We normally use the Flying J locations for ease of access and services available -- at most locations the propane station (access) is RV friendly.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:58 AM   #6

flying J is a good place to fill up your propane, & not get dinged very bad. I work a second job and do maintenance at a car wash, we have RV storage, a dump station, we sell propane at $4.00 a gallon. I was in a hurry once tring to get out of town and had to work that morning, thought I could kill to birds with one stone and filled up my 30# and toped of the other one, about 14 gallons the cost was over $60. I don't buy propane from my Boss any more. I plan ahead now and fill up at Ameriagas. I never get away long enough, to have the need to purchas propane on the road.
lashmarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashmarry View Post
14 gallons the cost was over $60.
Same thing happend to me at that campsite. If I could have had them drain it back out I would have on principal alone!
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:21 AM   #8

Dan,

What side is you propane fill on?. Lots of the older Flying J stations have the propane tank opposite the route through the RV fuel area and, if your fill is on the curbside, you have to go against the flow. Not easily done on a busy day. The hose always seems long enough to reach the other side, but the operators we ask say they are not supposed to fill propane out of site of the tank. As an alternate, sometimes you can easily access the propane tank from the 18 wheeler side of the lot, but risk blocking the trucks as they access their fuel pumps.

If you find one of the newest FJ stations, the propane, fuel, water and dump are all in the same island.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:26 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I use a family owned RV dealer/parts/service place. Their price is a tad higher then FlyingJ, my 2nd choice, but I like supporting their independent business. FJ is a good place when on the road as long as you hit at an off peal time. My 3rd choice is to watch for signs or ask locals for info since there are lots of propane dealers in rural areas. I consider filling up propane at a campground like buying food at a 7-11 store - you will pay for convenience!

If you have time to plan in advance, this link takes you to a directory of alterntive fuel dealers country wide. Alternative Fuels and Advanced Vehicles Data Center: Alternative Fueling Station Locator
Texas Boomers, FMCA #366366 SKP #91936
'03 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PWD
RandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you don't mind the ride, each city/locality usually has a propane supply business and they have filling stations. I recently filled up at a RVstore and was charged a discounted price of $3.25 a gallon. After the 5 day cold snap I filled up at a propane service for $2.81 a gallon. Check the internet. Usually you can find a place on your way out of town. If it is strictly convenience you are looking for, then campgrounds and Flying J's are the way to go.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I use any and all of the above, although Flying J RV islands are often to congested to be convenient for our big rig. I'm more likely to call a few local propane suppliers and ask about accessability for a 40+ foot coach.

I start watching for a convenient propane source when we get down near 1/4 tank and usually see one along the highway somewhere long before we get really low. Convenient access is more important than price, in most cases, though some places do charge and arm & a leg for their propane.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:06 AM   #12

In some areas trucks come around the campground and fill your tank at your site. This is common in Southwestern US area. Usually you get a card from office and put it in our window on days the truck comes and they will fill and charge to your campground account if you are not there. I have seen parks where there are two or more competing delivery trucks and price may be more or may be competitive with local area. Just need to check.

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:13 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the quick replies. We're leaving in the morning, and I'm trying to cover all my bases. My propane fill is indeed on the curb side. There's an Amerigas location right along my way that I had forgotten about until I followed RanD's link.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flying J usually has a good price, Some campgrounds have good prices too (Some are rip off artists when it comes to pricing, 2x the going rate PLUS a "Fuel delivery charge" can be a real pain in the budget)

I usually go to google and type "Propane #####" where ##### is the zip code where I'm typing.