Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Where is super-slide motor?

Just purchased a '99 Fleetwood Discovery 36T and need to find the location of the living/dining room slideout motor just in case it ever stops operating. I have looked in all the basement compartments and no motor. The bar that turns the slide out is in the rear of the slide area vacated by the slide but can't believe they put the motor underneath the coach.

I called Fleetwood and they don't even know where the motor is. They did send me a wiring harness drawing going to the motor but it does not show where on the chassis it is located. Any help appreciated.

burfurd
burfurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2010, 02:28 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Put the slide out out and look behind the compartments next to the frame rail. There will be a motor and gear reduction located at the end of the drive linkage.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the reply. I did look behind the compartments and the shaft runs from one end to the other with no motor. The shaft appears to extend past the opening underneath the center of the coach. I can see no way to get to this area without crawling completely underneath the coach near the center. How in the world would you release the clutch and be able to crank the slide in case of failure?

There must be an easy way or Fleetwood should get the 'Engineering Goof of the Decade' award.

burfurd
burfurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think that all of the front or superslides motors are under the coach,I know mine is and the rear or bedroom slide motor is under the bed.
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Mine, also by Fleetwood, is where RV Wizard describes - right at the end of the forward gear rack. A shaft extends to the rearward gear. I just open the bay door and its right there.

Do you have the type of compartments that move in & out with the slide? If so, the motor has to be behind them.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, the basement compartments (the 2 in front) move in and out with the slide. I will look again but when I looked before, the shaft went all the way across the rear top behind where the compartments move back into. How would you crank the slide in if it is going where you are doing the cranking? If the motor is there, it is through the wall to the front of the coach. If that is where the clutch release and motor is located, you would have to crawl underneath the center of the coach to crank it back in (in case of failure to operate). I know a lot of engineers are dummies, but surely they would have had more sense than to put it where you couldn't use it.

Sure hope my motor never quits if that is the case.

burfurd
Old 07-31-2010, 03:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Burfurd, the motor is under the coach and you would have to crawl under it to get to the motor. There is still room between the back wall of the compartment and the motor to flip off the brake and with a socket wrench crank the gear reduction box to move the room. Maintain the slide out system, operate only with good voltage and you should rarely ever have to crawl under the coach.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:58 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Mike. Sure hope I never have problems with it but just wanted to know where to run the slide in if I did have a problem. Nothing like being prepared.

One other thought, could I use an electric impact wrench with a socket and even a universal joint if needed to crank in the slide? Sure would be a lot easier.

burfurd
Old 08-01-2010, 03:14 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I would recommend an air ratchet over an impact. Much more slow and smooth movement. be sure everything is clear and you might even want someone to watch things from above as you will not be able to see what is going on, under the coach.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think you are probably right about the air ratchet. I do have a 3/8" air ratchet. Hopefully that will be enough 'oomph' for the job.

Thanks for all the information.

burfurd