Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Where to check for coach level

I just purchased our first motorhome. It's a 98 Winnebago Adventurer and I have a question on where is the best place to check for the coach being level. I've heard several answers such as on the bottom of the refrigerator and by the leveling controls. I've even heard of a person using a batter on the side to see which way it rolls.
Ohsirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The important thing is to get your refrig. as level as posible. It doesn't have to be perfectly level but close to operate properly. The liquid amonia drains back to the heater box by gravity and if it can't flow back and forth in the coils it will damage your coolpac.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I am not sure if the rest of the MH is level but I strive for all the doors to stay put when open or closed. This includes the fridge door. It frustrates my wife to no end to chase the fridge door when preparing a meal. I also tend to dip the passenger rear side just enough to let the water run off the roof there to avoid the puddle by the front door and this raises the head of the bed slightly as well. With all this said the floor of the fridge is close enough for proper operation.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I believe the spec for leveling for the refrigerator is 3 deg. front to back and 6 deg side to side. It's been deterimined here, in another thread, that 3 deg is 18" inches difference front to back on a 40 foot motorhome. I don't think level is really relavent any longer except to be comfortable.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks everyone.
Ohsirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't just rely on the control board telling that the coach is level. I purchased a small level and set it on the kitchen counter and take the final readings from that spot.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #7

I manually levelled the coach so the fridge is as level as possible, then I installed two levels beside the cup holder on the dog-house (side to side and front to rear) combo.
As soon as I drive in to a spot I can see which corner of the coach will have to be elevated.
It's also good to have the head of the bed up slightly.

Henry.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The book says measure level in the refrigerator using a round level and not to be any more than 1/2 bubble out of the black scribed circle.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If you are comfortable walking around, the fridge is level enough. Suit yourself about the rest - measure wherever you like. Or not at all.

Me, I'm very sensitive to level, so I fiddle until I'm comfortable. The wife is fussy about doors moving on their own, so I also adjust to suit her, if needed. But my Equalizer jack system does a fine job on its own - I seldom have to tinker much.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I set half a glass of red wine on the table and when the wine appears to be level in the glass I drink the wine and then don't really care much if it's off a couple of degrees.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
My coach is level when the DW says it is level.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
bdpreece
You are a wise man !!!!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
I like 1ciderdog's system. If you can't get it level straight away, then drink the wine and start again. Never move the RV after you have started the process though...
Old 07-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Waaallllll - according to the Dometic Factory dudes, which I take as gospel, the bottom of the fridge, or freezer (on side-by side units) is the calibration spot. A few months ago, with the fridge empty, I putzed with the jacks till the freezer floor was dead level. Next, I found a spot on the kitchen counter that also showed dead level. Now, when I arrive at a campsite, I put my round bubble level on the spot on the counter and work the jacks till it's perfect. System works perfect fofr me!!
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote