Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Where to get dishwasher installed near Houston?

Looking for a pro installer to remove my oven/stove combo and replace with a dishwasher and stove top. Will require some cabinetry work, as the oven is not as wide as any dishwasher that I have found.

Camping World in Katy, TX has never done this, and I don't want to be their first.

I will not go to Holiday World--too many bad experiences there.

Anyone know of an experienced shop? I live south of the city but will drive an hour or more. I know about Ancira, RV and generally like those guys, but 5 hours is a bit long for me...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #2

I'm sure it's none of my business,but I just can't imagine why you (or anyone)would need a dishwasher in an RV,unless you entertain a lot of people often.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Never, EVER use the oven with our convection microwave so much handier. Would use the dishwasher with our family & friends.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:48 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Our new coach came with a dishwasher and it's fantastic. We load it with dishes for about three days and then turn it on in the evening. Our Fisher & Paykel is so quiet, you can't here it run.

It was one of those things we thought would be a waste, but we love it. The convection/microwave does all the cooking we need.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don--You aren't kidding about how quiet those F&P dishwashers are! Our friends have one and honestly I can't even hear it running! This is the one we want to get, but it is a bit wider than the hole that our current oven will leave. I'm not intimidated about handing the install myself, but trim work & stain matching is not something that I could do well enough. There is also the issue of how to join two items (stove top, diswasher) so that it looks professional.

Thus my inquiry here... Still hoping that someone can offer up an excellent installer in my location?
Old 10-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have used Bob Jones RV in South Houston for some electrical work and had them install a window awning. I was very happy with their work. I have no idea if they can do cabinet work but give them a call and talk to Chris. They are right off of 45 and College Ave.
srx-6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Looking for a pro installer to remove my oven/stove combo and replace with a dishwasher and stove top. Will require some cabinetry work, as the oven is not as wide as any dishwasher that I have found.

Camping World in Katy, TX has never done this, and I don't want to be their first.

I will not go to Holiday World--too many bad experiences there.

Anyone know of an experienced shop? I live south of the city but will drive an hour or more. I know about Ancira, RV and generally like those guys, but 5 hours is a bit long for me...

I don't know how far these guys are from you:

http://www.foretraveloftexas.com/remodel.php

I think they will do remodel work on any brand and they have a great reputation.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Steve! They are about 2.5 hours away, so that's not too bad for this job. I contacted them already and will see what they want to charge for this job!

Thanks also to "srx-6" too. I will call Chris and see if this kind of work is in his tool bag.

Much appreciated.
Rob
Old 10-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Statgeek - You might give a call to RV Masters (1967 Bingle Rd, Houston, TX 77055
(713) 461-2300). I don't know whether they will do that install, but I have been pleased with the repair work they have done for me.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to you too Don.. So glad I have a few potential options here.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:16 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Keep us posted, please. I'm wanting to take out the drawers under my burners and put in a dishwasher. And maybe replace the gas burners with induction cooktop. As soon as our house sells, we will live in our MH 4 nights a week - kinda full time, part time! A dishwasher would be very useful.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Will do Debbie. So far I only heard back from one company (RV Masters). Their labor quote varied wildly when he thought that I did not have LP gas, but once he understood my intents, he estimated reluctantly that it could cost $500 to $2000 in labor if all appliances fit through the doorway. That's a wide spread. He also invited that I could do as much of the work as I wanted, leaving only the trim work for them to complete if that was desirable to me. I am weighing this option in my mind...but will call other places that I learn about also.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Statgeek.....as stated earlier, I have a dishwasher in my new coach. I'm very handy and did all of the mods in my previous coach (Diplomat), including a residential refer install. I'm good friends with my Newmar dealer and he knows that I'm handy. He had another Dutch Star he sold that the new owners wanted a dishwasher installed. He asked me to look at doing the install. I probably would have, but we were going to be gone for almost a month and I had to pass.

With that said, I did look to see what would be needed. It's pretty easy. You need to run a "T" off of the hot water line and have a power outlet near the dishwasher. On mine, they actually make a plumbing connection that adds a small "Y" to the sink drain to attach the drain hose.

The biggest issue is cutting out the opening. Usually, you have drawers there that give you a good start. You can even find some 1/4" or 1/2" black plastic angle molding that you can cover the cut on the sides IF it doesn't come out as clean as you would like it. Use a Skill saw and make a plunge cut or a sabre saw with a straight edge to guide it. Always tape the area with blue tape, where you intend to cut, to protect the wood.

Just thought I would throw this out in case you have thoughts of doing it yourself.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don--thanks for the encouragement. This is exactly what I am going to do. I'm not a Newmar owner yet ;-) so I'm not working with real wood cabinets. But I learned that Fleetwood should be able to sell me pre-stained to match trim pieces, so that's a nice safety net. Also--I will need a small piece of trim to fit between the top of the dishwasher and the bottom of the stove, so this is a good option for me, since I don't think I could personally match the stain very well.

I am going to start placing orders for supplies today. :-).

I do wonder how I will remove the current range--where are the screws that hold it in? And what about the gas line--is it a long pigtail behind the oven that will allow me to pull it out before disconnecting? Or will I need to somehow get my arm behind the oven and feel for it?? Any ideas there?

It'll be an interesting project. I plan to document (with pictures) the whole job and will report back.

My work and family life will relegate this to weekend hours that I can squeeze out here and there...

Rob

Tags
dish, install