Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #1

Where to go for Do It Yourself????

Hello All,
I have a question for all the other do it yourselfers that I know are out there.....

Where can you go with your rig if you need to do a little work on it?

This is assuming that one either doesn't have a "home base" anymore (our your neighborhood doesn't allow such things) or you are on the far side of the country when something needs fixing.

We are new to this, but so far it seems that most places have rules forbidding virtually any maintenance. We finally found a place where the manager was OK with some mechanical work....."Sure, no problem, do whatever you need".... but after getting the front end lifted up and securely blocked and both front wheels off (no small chore on 37' DP), the owner of the place is all up in arms, telling me manager shouldn't have told me that, and I have to put it all back together PRONTO.

Seems like I'm not the only one that likes to do their own work, so where can I do it?
Thanks for all suggestions
ROADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
A lot will depend on what kind or work you are trying to do. If you need to change a serpentine belt or a water hose, some CGs will let you do it on site. But if your talking about jacking up the whole rig and doing a brake job...lots of luck! Check with some truck repair garages and see if they will rent you a bay to do the work you want. They may be restricted by insurance , but it's worth a shot. Good luck.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think common sense is the deciding factor here. If you bring out your SnapOn tool box and start dismantling the coach I'm sure you'll aggravate the owners. If you discreetly slide under the coach either early in the morning or late at night and replace a belt, probably not a problem.

I surely don't want to camp next to the guy that is rebuilding his coach in the campground. I often wash my coach at campgrounds. I always ask first and often pay an additional $10.00 to do so. Even then, I do it discreetly. A quick soap up of one side, rinse and hide the tools while I dry and then move on to another side.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #4

Just go to any Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys or similar and do the work there

Seems like some people practically do a brake job or suspension rebuild in the parking lot at some of them!

Back to serious, I am not sure and interested in what others have found out. I have done minor stuff in a park or at a camping spot, but my first choice is at home.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Just go to any Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys or similar and do the work there

Seems like some people practically do a brake job or suspension rebuild in the parking lot at some of them!

Back to serious, I am not sure and interested in what others have found out. I have done minor stuff in a park or at a camping spot, but my first choice is at home.

i am the same for med jobs

but at the min i swop out a motor in my RV in a friends drive way

if there is some thing hard core you need to do i am sure you can
ask some one on here

hey trans going out and need to swop in a new one any one on here have a good size drive way or back yard for me for a max of a week
i am in FL or TX where ever you are at the time .. and i am sure they would be happy at the time to have you stop by
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #6

I sold a LOT of my tools to a very good friend of mine, he just happens to manage one of our favorite campgrounds!.............coincidence. .......I think not! Got to look ahead.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #7

Of course you should check with the management, but my rule of thumb would be whatever a mobile tech is allowed to do onsite, then so can I. Servicing heaters, a/c's, etc, you should be fine. Anything that would require a lift, multiple cans of oil or grease or took a long time, probably not.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Have to think about the definition of where you are at. Is it a Camp Ground or a repair yard/shop?

If it is maintenance that can be done in a hour or two probably OK. If it is repairs that take a day or more? ? ? ?