Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #1

Question Where to go for "OIL CHANGE"

I live in the Houston/Galveston area and wanted to know where I could take my motorhome (Monaco) for an oil and filters change along with routine service check. I wanted to stand by and watch the process so that I could learn to do it myself. I want to say that someone posted the name of a company that was reasonably priced and did allow you to watch, but I cannot find that thread. Any suggestions as to where I can go ???

Thanks in Advance,
Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Don...

I've always use the Freightliner Oasis dealers but a lot of folks have had nice things to say about Speedco and I might give them a try at some point.

Speedco

Don't know if they'll let you inside the shop though.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #3

Thanks Ricko,
I called SPEEDCO along with several other RV and Truck service centers and got quotes from $100 an hour plus materials and tax, to $140 an hour plus materials and tax. Toatl for SPEEDCO was $159 plus tax. That included materials, filters, oil and disposal. And they don't mind if you watch the service tech. I think that's a pretty good deal. Thanks for your help.

Don
Old 01-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Are you talking about a gas engine or a diesel engine? If it's a diesel that sounds a little low to me. I would want to know what oil and filter they are using.

The more I think about it, they could not change the oil and filter on my diesel for that money (7 gallons of oil+filter).
Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #5

Remember Speedco and others are buying their oil/filters in bulk at wholesale prices. Would be more worried about brand of filter going in.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoon View Post
Are you talking about a gas engine or a diesel engine? If it's a diesel that sounds a little low to me. I would want to know what oil and filter they are using.

The more I think about it, they could not change the oil and filter on my diesel for that money (7 gallons of oil+filter).

Don't tell them they can't do it for $159 or we will have to start paying RV service prices. Try 'em you will like it.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Yeah, I recalculated. I guess they could make a profit at that rate, just not near as much as most of the other places that charge more. But I would still want to know what oil and filter they are using.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I have used Speedco for the past three years. They will use Fleetguard fuel filters and Donaldson oil filters. They give you a choice of Rotella T or Dello oil.

My last ISC service at Speedco included oil, two Fleetguard fuel filters, Donaldson oil filter, Fleetguard coolant filter, a change of rear differential oil to synthetic, testing of coolant, and a chassis lube for $293.94.

All of this I got to watch from the pit. They are a first come, first served and you are usually in and out in a hour. Sure can't get that done at a Cummins Coach Care!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
At 72 years of age I may start Having someone do The Oil/filter/lube for me. It's hard to Pay the outragious prices they are getting. The Freightliner has About 20 grease fittings == 1/4 tube of grease == $4.50 per tube = $1.50 for lube; The C7 20 Qts. oil on sale $10.00 Per gallon Say $55.00 for oil; Oil filter, any were form $15.00 to $22.00 I buy 4 at a time say $25.00. That comes to less then $80.00. I had it done on the road. It was oil/filter /lube Came to $250.00 Altho it took 4 hours, I do the complete job in less then 1 hour; And I can still have coffee. While the oil is draining I lube the chassis; The dumbo Had coffee and wasted time with fellow dumbos while it was draining. If he were working for me that week would have been his last check from my;. Then we wonder why Some of us are dissapointed with the service shops. It's discusting;; Life is good. Even at my age I have been thinking about Starting up a mobile service truck. were the truck would come to you and do the job..
Old 01-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #10

Sounds cheap to me also oil,oil filter, two fuel filters cost me around 140.00 no labor friend is a diesel mech. How many get plugged in to a computer at oil change perks of friends.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
got mine for 130 at a truck lube place ! was great! not as clean or cushy for an rv place but they know how to service a cat ! lovin it oh an the fuel filters too !
Old 01-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #12

Commercial Member

Monaco Owners Club
We went to the Cummins dealer in NE Houston... first olf for us with the diesel. Service was "ok".... didn't advise any obvious other things so not sure what was really done other than collect a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Going to try Speedco next time around, for sure.
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Sure you can save $$ by doing it yourself while at home however,having a coach serviced on the road isn't as easy as it sounds. Campgrounds won't let you do maintenance on your coach, you sure can't go to a parking lot to do it. Then there is the disposal of the old oil. Speedco is handy, fast and reasonable.