Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
where to place the outside sensor: indoor/outdoor thermometer

hi

Bought an accu-rite thermometer that displays both the indoor and the outdoor temperatures. It has a remote sensor that needs to be placed outside - but in the direct sun nor exposure to rain. etc.

Wondering if anyone else has this type of thermometer and Where did you place your sensor outside your motorhome?

Thanks everyone
regards, pdq
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Did you mean NOT in direct sun?

I am not certain but I think that's the brand that came with my Itasca coach. I hope I'm wrong because I've had nothing but trouble with mine and am about to replace it for the third time. The factory installed the outside sensor inside the front cap near a headlight.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LOL
yes i did mean to say "not" in the direct sun light

thanks for the catch Rick
Old 09-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #4

Ours is in the refrigerator so we know all is well...and if it's really warming up in there we can turn it up before things spoil. Used to keep it under the slide out against the back wall out of the rain and sun, the slide when in didn't touch it.
elgarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
pdq......I installed mine under the edge of my large slide when it was open. This allows the sensor to be out in the open air, but not direct sunlight. Once the slide comes in, the sensor is protected while on the road.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #6

I put mine in the compartment with my fresh water tank so I can keep track of any freezing problems.
SEMO Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:20 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_bc View Post
hi

Bought an accu-rite thermometer that displays both the indoor and the outdoor temperatures. It has a remote sensor that needs to be placed outside - but in the direct sun nor exposure to rain. etc.

Wondering if anyone else has this type of thermometer and Where did you place your sensor outside your motorhome?

Thanks everyone
regards, pdq
i have 3 indoor-outdoor temp gauges.
i wish i would have went with wireless sensors. it was a pita running the wires and i have to replace the batteries about once a year. the button batteries are getting pricey even at wally world.
i have them in my aft water service compartment, fwd water pump compartment and the main water tank compartment aft of my entry door.
i have found that it is necessary to use a trouble light with a 100w bulb in the aft water service compartment which has access to my gray and black tanks during weather colder than freezing.
the fwd water pump compartment is heated by the water heater and tank enough to keep it from freezing as long as i keep the water hot. the main water tank compartment is open to the kitchen sink cabinets and is heated enough to keep it from freezing.
i have wally world stick appliance thermometers in the freezer and fridge, no batteries required.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ours is installed in the LPG (butane) compartment as there are no heat sources and it is open on the bottom. Mount it high so rain is not a problem...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I stick mine right outside the front door---if rain and sunlight is suppose to kill it then it has done a poor job of it----works fine still-----I remove it when moving and put my awning out which shades it from sun and rain---but if it rains, it rains and if the sunshines while the awning is in then it does.

BUT-------because of the comment from H. Miller----I am moving it to the LPG bay---that seems a great place to me.

The other one is in the water service bay so I can monitor basement temps during cold weather.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put my sensor in the propane compartment.

Insulated from sun (2 inches Styrofoam in door) open to air (Bottom) and away from engine heat.. Only problem is the generator does heat that compartment some.. So I have a 2nd one.. elsewhere.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We place our sensor on the leading edge rail of the slide. It just sits up there, in place. It is on the checklist. Out of the sun and rain. We put the thermometer away each time we move so the checklist has worked for us.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Ours is a LaCrosse we use in the sticks and bricks house and take with us in the MH. Have 2 remotes, one goes in the battery compartment that is exposed to outside temps but shaded. The other in the water bay although we try to never be anywhere it might freeze.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #13

We also have Lacrosse units, one is a window mount in the S&B house, the other is for the RV. I contacted Lacrosse to ask if the remote was rugged enough to stay outside on a moving vehicle and they said no.

I put the mounting clip by the side of the house door so it's easy to take the sensor down before we roll out. It's shaded by the awning.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to 45acp
Mine is a LL Bean unit and I use a binder clip and fasten it to the awning strap just under the roller. It is pretty well protected and I won't forget it when I roll up the awning because it is in plain sight. Bill