Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2006, 10:52 AM   #15

If you own a laptop computer with at least one USB port (most have at least one) you've already got the most expensive piece of equipment needed to enjoy the best in RV GPS ground mapping/routing. I use a Garmin E-map GPS attached to my dash that has an external GPS antenna on the roof of the rig and a serial cable running to the laptop that attached by hook and loop material to the cup holder table between the driver and passenger seats. I need a USB to Serial Converter ($30) to make the GPS talk to the computer since the new Gateway laptop I have doesn't have a serial port (most don't anymore). I run Delormes latest Street Atlas USA and the maps are superb! They don't get any better folks and they are easy to see even in really bright conditions. There's a night display feature of night time operations. If you don't own a GPS receiver Delorme sells the Earthmate for around $75, I think the package the GPS and mapping software together for around $130. If you like voice navigation, this software has that to. You can purchase additional voices from a company called Cepstral Corporation at http://www.cepstral.com. I use Cepstral William and the voice quality is as good or better than those used on the expensive Garmin Street Pilot III models. I love the setup and don't leave home without it. If you have more questions about the product go to Delormes web site at http://www.delorme.com.
w1wlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2006, 05:29 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I picked up a Garmin c330 GPS and made it a topic down in the Product Evaluations Forum. There are pics and a wright up on it, was able to get for $550 but some have found it for $450. There has been some discussion if you have any questions will be glad to help. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gugotme and w1wlh welcome to irv2.
Glad to have you aboard and thanks for your input to the forums. Its good to see new members jumping right in the discussions. Enjoy the forums and join in often. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:49 PM   #18

I like the 7" Color display , name of next road or exit on top, & 3D view of my Garmin 7500(also make7200). Very easy to use & take off mount to store or hook to computer or program using 110v.

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Robert & Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:00 AM   #19

Walmart Road Atlas here.....

Five bucks.....

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:13 AM   #20

My son picked up a new Seneca in Williamsberg NJ and we used a Garmin with the touch screen and followed its route through the Baltimore tunnel and Washington DC and South and was very impressed with its turn by turn voice directions and routing. It was very user friendly and worked stuck to the windshield under the overhang. It was much easier than my Laptop 7 and we will get one of them instead of upgrading our laptop program.

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:47 AM   #21

Which Garmin Richard ? I've owned 4 different Garmins and never needed service...

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Robert & Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #22

I have a Garmin IQ3600 portable unit that we have had for 2 1/2 yrs...works great. I got a 1 gig card and have 3/4 of the US in it at one time. Not only is it a GPS but it has an address book, scheduling, etc also. It great to take it from the coach to the tow car when traveling. We even took it to Europe with us and purchased the European mapping software. It saved us a thousand times in Italy driving the country side.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:08 AM   #23

We have a Garmin 2610 with a bean bag style dash mount. It has a 2 gig flash card that holds all the available maps. It has been flawless for 3 years.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:37 AM   #24

How portable? What do you want to do?

I have the Garmin 76CS, which is a great color handheld that will do autorouting... or I have a 2010C .. which I carrying to and from the boat.
Bricot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:42 AM   #25

To, ALL, re; Garmin GPS systems,

Just parchased a Garmin NUVI 350, at Best Buy for $779.00.

More than I wanted to spend but there are so many different units out there. I haven't opened it yet, but did down-load copy of owners manual, 68 pages.

I want a unit that is motorhome RV friendly ie underpasses and other hazards.

I thought there would be units for this, but I can't find them. I also want as much info verbally as possible so as not to take eyes off road, I was looking for units with 2 way communication but was told no such thing.

Anyone with info and/or help, appreciated.

Thanks== Aime== === AJBJRVERS==
Old 05-27-2006, 08:06 AM   #26

Craig
For several years now we have used DeLorme's Earthmate GPS receiver tied to MS' Streets & Trips software. The '06 MS edition has been upgraded to include voice directions and a seperate panel for close-up turns. We like it.
If you already have a laptop, this setup merits a looksee.

rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:05 AM   #27

I just purchased the Garmin C340. We had been using the laptop with the Earthmate and Street Atlas, but that got a bit bulky. It was obvious that we needed something just as good, but a tad smaller. The C340 fits that requirement.

One problem, however. When setting a route and the Garmin cannot find a street, chances are it was misspelled in the mapping databank. Unless you can figure out how it was spelled, you're gonna be SOL!

An example is the street where my son lives. It's spelled Longpointe, and is a Drive. In the Garmin it's spelled Lorgpointe, and is a Road.

It's misspelled in my Street Atlas software as well. When I used that spelling in the Garmin it found it quite easily.

BTW, I completed a good bit of research on various on-line vendors before ordering the Garmin, and finally settled on PCNation (www.pcnation.com). Although they were just a tad higher than some other on-line sites, good customer reviews and the fact that I got a good report from BBB convinced me to order from them.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:09 AM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Garmin 2620. Three years. Updated. Especially like the remote control in the coach and the portability. Great travel assistant.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote