Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2016, 08:00 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Which is my CB antenna?

I rarely get any traffic on my CB, unless another vehicle is in the lane next to me. A trucker friend told me I probably needed a new antenna. I believe the CB antenna is the squiggly antenna on the right in the first picture? Which antenna would be a good replacement?

In the second picture, what does that antenna go to?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio&CB-Antenna.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	127250

Click image for larger version

Name:	Atenna.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	127251

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 08:09 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
First picture, antenna to the left is the CB Antenna. Antenna on the right is a cell phone antenna. I do not have a CB installed, so I loosened the set screw on it and folded it down to minimize the possibility of getting knocked around by tree limbs.

Second picture, that antenna is the radio antenna. I know because my rubber one broke off and I had to replace it.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:23 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
... I believe the CB antenna is the squiggly antenna on the right in the first picture? Which antenna would be a good replacement? In the second picture, what does that antenna go to?
the antenna on the left would be a good replacement as that's actually your CB antenna. the one on the right looks like a cell phone antenna (how old is your coach?) the antenna in the second photo is for your AM/FM broadcast band radio.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #4

I hear very little CB chatter either. It usually startles me when it happens. The most traffic I ever heard was in TX and they were all speaking Spanish . I agree the antenna on the left is your CB . From what I understand, which is little, the antenna and cable and CB must be properly matched and tuned to work properly . Perhaps mine is not and why I hear little traffic.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #5

As mentioned, left one is for CB. You could have a bad ground or any other connection could be bad which will result in poor performance. You must also have the antenna tuned when hooked up to a radio or it will not have the range it is capable of. When tuning it means hooking up a meter and adjusting the length of the antenna either longer or shorter to a perfect match on the meter.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
the one on the right looks like a cell phone antenna (how old is your coach?)

I don't know what year that Newmar started installing , cell phone antennas as standard equipment , but my 99 has one too. I just hope it works with the 4G phones .
Old 05-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I don't know what year that Newmar started installing , cell phone antennas as standard equipment , but my 99 has one too. I just hope it works with the 4G phones .
that's why I asked. if that antenna dates back to 99 then it likely is engineered for a different set of frequencies.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #8

The meter you need to tune your CB to the antenna is called a Standing Wave Ratio meter. SWR for short. Some CB's have them built in. Most don't and you would need to connect a stand-alone meter between your radio and antenna. Then adjust the antenna accordingly.
dano726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
If you use a CB on a vehicle such as a boat or rv you need a special antenna made for vehicles that have bodies made of fiberglass, or poor ground plain. You can find these antennas on e-bay. I'm getting ready to buy one myself.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hmmm, a cell phone antenna? My Newmar is a 2000. I suppose somewhere is a cable that connects to an old bag-type cell phone? Actually I think I do have a loose cable underneath the dash.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwwade View Post
If you use a CB on a vehicle such as a boat or rv you need a special antenna made for vehicles that have bodies made of fiberglass, or poor ground plain. You can find these antennas on e-bay. I'm getting ready to buy one myself.
I would be interested in seeing a link as to what you buy, especially if it would fit my mount.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
Hmmm, a cell phone antenna? My Newmar is a 2000. I suppose somewhere is a cable that connects to an old bag-type cell phone? Actually I think I do have a loose cable underneath the dash.
Antenna is a Wilson product , and after I upgraded my phone to one without a plug in , I had to go to a pad the Velcro'd to the back of my current phone. Works for now but not sure about 4G.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:11 PM   #13

Cell phones now use 1900 mhz as primary band and that one is older 800 mhz one.

Carriers still use those channels but the handset will be directed to higher channels.

So not good as is but could be upgraded if handset supports connection.

For ca antenna can be tested with simple things.

Take ohmmeter and after removing antenna cable should read open center to outside and optional short outside to ground.

Have helper short center to outside at one end and check for short at other.

Next connect to cb and get a light bulb for tail light and hold with center contact touching center of connector.

Have helper just tap the ptt button and light should light up indicating Rf power.

No light could be bad radio or cable.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #14

CB is quiet sometimes and noisy other times. Depends on atmospheric conditions.

SWR really doesn't have much to do with receiving, just transmitting.
If you have no receive, I would guess the coax cable is bad.

You might save a lot of grief by just buying a new antenna and coax. If you buy an antenna for marine use, you don't have to worry about mounting it to a metal surface. They are designed for fiberglass mounting.

Tags
antenna