Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I would go with #2. I don't think I would want to fulltime with anything less than a 36'. JMHO
I think we have to be careful in suggestions with so little information to work with. How many of us thought it would be unbearable to live in 400 sq ft when we only had S&B living to judge our needs by?

Sandee and I have chosen to travel relatively large and heavy because that is where we are in life for now. Us, 2 GSDs, my bikes, her "stuff" and then just the overall feeling of space is what drives us. Budget is a factor but ours is clearly not "meager" as the OP alludes to.

There are some folks that like to live in relative solitude and if they have room for books, A TV and other smaller pleasures then as long as they can find a comfortable place to sit and sleep what more could they need to live.

I think there is something in the OP's tone or perhaps how he says some things that kinda pulls at my heart strings. I'm imagining a day where perhaps either my lovely Sandee or I are departed and the other carries on. For me, I would continue on the road but Sandee would probably not. If I did continue I would downsize.

So...I think this is one of those cases where I just need to hear more from the OP in hopes of providing suggestions suited to his desires and we have to strip out our personal prejudices towards what we think is best based on our own desires.

I'm not trying to doubt your intentions. I've seen many of your posts and I think you are genuine in your recommendations. I'm just saying we need to step back and look at it from the OP's perspective.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I think we have to be careful in suggestions with so little information to work with. So...I think this is one of those cases where I just need to hear more from the OP in hopes of providing suggestions suited to his desires and we have to strip out our personal prejudices towards what we think is best based on our own desires. I'm just saying we need to step back and look at it from the OP's perspective.
To help with the continued brainstorming with me, I am all alone in the world. By that I mean, no kids, no known relatives, no close friends left alive. I do have a lot of accumulated stuff, but it has no meaning or purpose any longer as I approach my demise since I have no one to leave any of it to. Even the family pics and momentos are just a burden to carry around and try to keep safe. They will end up in the dump in a few years. I say that for I could use a larger MH to continue to keep some of it till my death, or just scrap it all now and be free of it and the thoughts it rekindles.

So, after selling my large mobile home for roughly 80-100k, I will have some savings left for emergency after I buy a nice used RV under $50k. I don't plan on parking it in an expensive RV park each month, but rather drive it wherever I want each day, week, and month, parking in rest stops, gyms like 24 hr Fitness, Costco lots, state/national parks, or wherever I can get a safe nights rest. During the day I will be exploring and enjoying the beaches, lakes, and sites of the area until exhausting that and moving down the road.

I recently did exactly that in a 22' VW Rialta which I enjoyed for a month. I think I will enjoy it even more with more room and luxury in a permanent life change. The rest stops along the mountainess highways and byways where extremely nice and beautiful. All through the NW, from So Dak to Montana, Oregon, and No Calif, I woke up in the most scenic places after pulling over along the highway in the middle of the night.

It is a debate in my mind now as to go small 27', like a high end Class B (Chinook or Coach House), go medium large like a 28-30' Trek with a Magic Bed, or shoot the moon so to speak and get a luxury "Foretravel" 36-40' and live like a king for the same price as the smaller mentioned units.

Now the gas vs diesel question is still a puzzle to me. Sounds like over and through mountains, a diesel is the way to go; also cheaper in the since of petrol. Yet, maintenance cost will eat up the fuel savings if only in routine oil changes and servicing. This I need your input on to help me decide.

I am old and somewhat limited by disability, so the least bother and problems the better for me. I do not want a headache. Just want what will help me enjoy my remaining few months or years.

These 40'ers look enormous to me, and I really don't need to be walking long distances just to go from one room to the other. I don't even really need a slideout in a bigger coach, and was thinking that maybe it would be better not to have one since it would be one less thing to go wrong or have to bother with.

Seat comfort while driving, and ease of driving and maneuvering should probably be high on my list of needs. Never driving a Class A, I wonder if a 28' Trek would be just as easy to drive/park as a 27' Class B like a Chinook or Coach House. The concern there is that one can purchase a class A for 1/3 or 1/4 of the price of a low mileage high end class B, $25k vs $75k. $50,000 would buy a lot of gas or fuel, yet since the Class B is more like a car/van/truck, it would be so easy and cost effective to maintain.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyu View Post
For fulltiming, I would choose the floorplan that will be best for you. Driving is critical, but most fulltimers, move and stay somewhere for extended periods of time. I beleive the chassis and engine are important, but you don't live in the drivers seat. JM2...
I agree with this too
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyu View Post
For fulltiming, I would choose the floorplan that will be best for you. Driving is critical, but most fulltimers, move and stay somewhere for extended periods of time. I beleive the chassis and engine are important, but you don't live in the drivers seat. JM2...
Actually, I will be driving allot. Don't plan on staying in one place for very long. Plan on avoiding cities entirely, and traveling allot of small highways seeing all the natural wonders as I can.

So, comfort in manuevering the coach as well as the driver's seat itself, is very important to me. Even the ease of getting in and out of the driver's seat is important to me. Being able to see out the front and side windows while driving is important to me in being able to enjoy the scenery, close up, and in the distance. One thing I used to dislike about Class Cs was the overhang of the top front of the coach blocking some of the view. I hate feeling clostraphobic.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #19

Sort of on topic, as to what to buy, budget, living, and driving. Here is several years of one man's adventure in his RV. He started smaller and older for a year, and then moved up 4 feet to a 26', and later added a toad.

Travels with Andy

After your month in your Rialta, you should have some idea if you want to continue so small, and in a B or C type RV. Stepping up to A seems to give the house feeling. We looked at the Treks, and liked the smaller footprint for parking, and driving. But with two of us, and one not being a morning person, we kept looking.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I too am a single gentleman in a very similar situation and share ideas such as you, although I'm not retired as of yet. Two years ago I purchased a 25' Monaco Montclair (class B+) that I wanted to be my full time home at some point( I still have my S & B). After a few months of using it for local trips I began to feel that it was too small and started my quest for something larger. I've looked at local dealers, RV shows, and online in hopes of finding the right rig that fits my lifestyle but could never find that perfect unit for various reasons. I'm a man of modest means, I don't want/need much. So after a 1 1/2 years of looking I decided that I'm going to keep my current rig and do a few modifications such as removing the dinette and replacing with a couch, installing a slightly larger refer, and adding solar.
It's a beautiful rig and looks as good today as it did when I bought it. It's easy to drive and I can park it easily in many locations. I don't have the huge overhang above the cab so my views are good but maybe not as good as a class A rig.
So I guess the point of my post is to obtain what you want and can afford. Be realistic of your dreams and desires. There is no shame in having a small rig, size is not everything. If you decide to go small just realize that you must seriously downsize and carry only what you truly need and be creative for using available space.
When it comes time for me to meet my maker I want to say I lived the dream and didn't end the game with the most toys, just the experience.
Good luck with your quest and feel free to send a private message if you have any questions.

Rob
Here's a shot of my rig and my two boys. Photo was taken this past summer.
GrassShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
That 27' Class A is kind of novel. It has some advantages over the Class B's that you have listed.

With a class A cab, you get more usable living space in the smaller footprint
It is still small enough to get into most campgrounds
You will have more storage space
It looks to have a very decent kitchen for that size of rig
It looks to have a bigger shower than some of the class B's
It will be easier to navigate for 1 person than the 36 and probably easier to maintain as well. I have a 37 and the wife helps quite a bit with mine just backing in places and so on.

Now having said that, full timing for one gives you lots of options but if I were in your position, I would probably be giving that 2nd and 3rd looks

Tags
fulltime