Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
Which of these do you feel would be the most comfortable to drive everywhere fulltime

I have narrowed my search down to a few nice coaches that are within my price range and I think I would feel most at peace in. I would like your input as to which you would prefer cruising full time in. Assume they are all in perfect condition since they haven't been seen yet. They are all between about $20-50K. What are the advantages of your choice including things like seating comfort, driving/steering comfort, manuevering comfort, cost effectiveness on the road such as mpg, upkeep, easy to care for, initial investment, and whatever. Keep in mind that I am a single elder man who wishes to get my money out of my home and use it to live the last few years of my life traveling where and when I want on a meager monthly budget which would demand a lot of boondocking, rest stops, and Costco parking lots at night.

1. 29' Class B+
2. 36' Class A
3. 31' Class A
4. 27' Class A
5. 26' Class B

SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #2

I only looked at #2.....the 36' as I felt that would be the only one that would be large enough for a diesel engine. Can you see where I'm headed? You asked for an opinion, here's mine. Heavier is better for fulltime traveling. A diesel engine will provide a more comfortable driving experience. I think you can find a good quality used diesel pusher coach for less than $50K but it will take some looking and negotiating.

'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
Check out the dodge , Mercedes , sprinter diesel. We had 26j navion with one slide it got grate milage drove like a car we just loved it but it was just a little to small for my wife and I and our poodle
We have a big diesel pusher now that we love but We still miss my little sprinter
We put over 35000 miles on that little motorhome towing a jeep !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1133605946.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	59006   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1636281672.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	59007  

Vsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
Single guy boon dock ing , I would go for a b+ merc or similar , we have 36 ft DP and love it but it's not the most inconspicuous or easy to maneuver
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
I'd say its going to all be in the chassis not that it's a 27,31,36ft class a they probably all have the same ford or workhorse/Chevy. A single person might choose a smaller class B or a smaller class C if you are not going to stay in one place long.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
Also we were getting a solid 16.5 mpg. Towing the jeep at 65 to 70 miles per hr average and 19 to 20 mpg solo
It's a grate rig
Vsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
I personally like the Newmar they have a good track record and I like the floor plan of the one you have listed
rwjsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
If you plan on a lot of boondocking, you better pick the one with the best generator to help keep things together for ya! (b) No#2
Doug & Darlene Morgan RVM96 & Abby Gabby(pooch)
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination"Hickory,NC
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
You really won't know ( for sure ) till you step into them, and you will say either "I can do this" or " this ain't happening". YOU have to live in it....
When you actually see the RV's , you'll know........
There are A LOT of variables, even something as seemingly incidental as your height could be a determining factor.
2012 Winnebago Sightseer
2003 Wrangler
...and a dog named Belle
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
For driving comfort, I like the class b or c because of the smaller size. That said, i think Fpfor full running, go with the Newmar. We have a 35' A, with the same running gear. I got used to driving it pretty quickly. Although many will say go with the diesel, I much prefer the Workhorse chassis.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm reading that there are a few key factors. Here is the order I THINK you are looking at.

1. Budget
2. Drivability
3. Comfort

I am also sensing some mistaken concepts on costs and expectations so there is a lot to look at with your info request.

Let me start by saying I love my 43' DSDP that carries me, wife, 2 big German Shepherd Dogs and lots of STUFF. OTOH, I have seen folks (even as couples) who have spent many nights in something as small as a SCAMP trailer and seem quite content. So, a lot of what you are looking for will be just how small of a living space you are looking for. If your goal is to sit outside reading and your RV is simply a place to sleep, fix meals and get cleaned up, there are lots of options. Depending on your own stature, health and mobility you will have another set of factors to consider.

Could you give us a few pieces of info such as any health issues you will need to work around, what it is you really want to do/see and such? Do you want to fix your own meals or will you be eating out? Do you think you will travel with little more than clothes or are there other things, including pets, that will be with you.

Let me say this about boon docking...If you are thinking you will spend lots of time in free camping spots it could get old real fast. There are lots of good CGs with full hook ups that can be rather frugal and then there are parks and such which can be free/very low cost and much more enjoyable.

Let me make a couple quick suggestions. If you want something that you can drive without pulling a second vehicle, a small class C or class B would seem to be your best move. Both of the Class B examples you showed seem capable but the 29' model showed it had nice features including a generator. If the 26' also had a generator it would nearly capable and a tad smaller.

The 27' Class A looks a bit more "homey". The one thing I like about the Class A vs Class C or B is the rear view mirrors. In a class A you are looking down the flat side of your coach and to me that makes a more natural picture of what is around you. With the Cs or Bs you have part of the coach extending to the side so your mirrors have to be wider out. Perhaps the Cs and Bs are a tad narrower but I don't know that for a fact.

Keep us posted.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #12
Class B's are the easiest to drive and maneuver. The smaller it is the easier it is to drive everywhere.
Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:43 AM   #13
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For fulltiming, I would choose the floorplan that will be best for you. Driving is critical, but most fulltimers, move and stay somewhere for extended periods of time. I beleive the chassis and engine are important, but you don't live in the drivers seat. JM2...
Ted Fulltiming in the DreamCatcher a
2008 Challenger 371PE on F53 w/ 2010 Cobalt
R'V there yet?
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would go with #2. I don't think I would want to fulltime with anything less than a 36'. JMHO

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote