Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2014, 02:04 AM   #1

Which RV clubs to join

Since I bought my 2015 Winnebago View 24m, a lot of good advice has been coming my way regarding which clubs to join for various discounts. i.e., Good Sam and others. I've gotten so much it's now a bit overwhelming. Can you folks make it easy for me? Is there a general consensus where experience and intel gathered from others says which club will get me the most bang for my buck?

I am absolutely brand new to RV'ing. I am retired military and have access to military base campgrounds. But I hear there are fed parks, state parks, and city muni parks and several clubs make utilization of those clubs worthwhile.

Any info you give will certainly go to good use...thanks!

22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2014, 04:06 AM   #2

I guess it depends on what your travel plans might be. If you plan on spending time out west, its hard to beat Escapees for great rates and nice people, but they don't have a lot of parks on the east coast. Most private RV parks offer 10% discounts for AAA, FMCA, & sometimes Escapees. We ended up joining KOA as we are overnighting at quite a few of their parks along the road - 10 % discount has more than paid for yearly fees. We delayed Good Sam ( Camping World ) as they tend to send you too much junk mail. We stayed at a park in Charleston where they were offering $ 25.00 /yr Good Sam memberships. Again, the discount for our 10 days stay more than paid for the fees.

britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:14 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Passport America gives us a very good deal for a small membership fee. We find this to be the best value for money, but it obviously depends on how and where you travel.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #4

I second the Passport America. I am a member of Escapees, Good Sam's and Passport America. Make sure you get the gas discount cards for Pilot\Flying J from Sam's Club.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We are members of GS, Passport America, and Escapees.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We belong to Tiffin Owners club, Good Sam, FMCA, and Escapees. The benefit that keeps us members are the magazines. We seldom use campgrounds. Here is where you get the most bang for your buU.S. National Park ServiceAmerica the Beautiful – The National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Pass Seriesck...
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I find that my Passport America membership has paid itself off in no time. Not real impressed with the Good Sam discount.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Passport America by far if your only interest is camping discounts.

Good Sam's Motorhome Magazine is very good (only one DW looks at, and campground discounts pretty common. I quit for several years due to junk mail but went back after the merge w/Camping World and have found the junk to be much less and more controllable now. Their rallies are huge with lots and lots of vendors to shop. And they have a lot of local chapters.

Escapees has member campgrounds & better discounts but more rare to find, magazine ok, excellent mail forwarding, very good rallies called Escapade w/"rv boot camp" for newbie rv'ers.

FMCA has medical evac member benefit, magazine so-so, and campground discounts somewhat sparse. Rallies are pretty good, but we have had problems w/rally leader attitudes/arrogance so not likely to attend another.

WIT (Winnebago) gives us discount on Coach-Net road service (so do most other clubs), magazine & Winnebago info, and lots of local chapters. The annual GNR in Forest City IA is an excellent rally with great opportunity to get factory service on your Winnie.

As retired military, I recommend you check out SMART (Blank), for military active, reserve, retired, and hdv's.

We are members of all the above. As far as local chapter gatherings and big rallies go we have been very active with SMART, and some also WIT.

Enjoy the adventure!
Old 12-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #9

Thousand Trails, Coast to Coast, FMCA, RPI and Good Sam. We use TT the most it is best for coastal resorts. CC is good in most places. RPI and GS is used mostly when we are traveling. FMCA we haven't used yet. If you can find a TT and CC close to each other you can stay for very little $ or free. The initial cost for both of them is steep but if you plan on using them they will pay for themselves. We joined CC 16 years ago and TT about 1 year ago. With TT and CC your children can use them and you can transfer your membership.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Escapees has excellent mail forwarding and a lot of other features on par with the others. Like you I am retired military and try to use them as often as possible. We belong to Good Sam and Escapees as well at WIT which we will probably drop when out enrollment is up.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Good Morning! I will give my 2 cents. First 22 years Navy, 20 years Law Enforcement so You are teetering on 60. "FORTY TWO YEARS STANDING WATCH" You Sir Deserve A Break!
1. Passport America: 50% Discount allows You to recover investment rapidly.
2. Your Retired Military ID give minimum 10% discount almost everywhere. (USUALLY CAN'T COMBINE WITH OTHER DISCOUNTS).
3. $80.00 for Annual National Park Access, can't be beat. When you're 62 the rate drops to $10.00 "LIFETIME".
4. If Fam Camps are cheaper than other campgrounds in the area, "USE THEM". Best when in Metro Tourist Areas; DC, San Diego, Key West, Disney World.

DW and I have just started our 6th month Full Time. As for me what I recommended are my top minimum. I have yet to add the others recommended as until the house sells I am at the edge of my budget. But do intend to add other Clubs listed above.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We usually try to find parks that take Passport America and Escapees. The Escapees discount is usually 15% where the GS is only 10%. Escapees is running a half-price special right now, only $29.95 for a year! It pays for itself really quick!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #13

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
Good Morning! I will give my 2 cents. First 22 years Navy, 20 years Law Enforcement so You are teetering on 60. "FORTY TWO YEARS STANDING WATCH" You Sir Deserve A Break!
1. Passport America: 50% Discount allows You to recover investment rapidly.
2. Your Retired Military ID give minimum 10% discount almost everywhere. (USUALLY CAN'T COMBINE WITH OTHER DISCOUNTS).
3. $80.00 for Annual National Park Access, can't be beat. When you're 62 the rate drops to $10.00 "LIFETIME".
4. If Fam Camps are cheaper than other campgrounds in the area, "USE THEM". Best when in Metro Tourist Areas; DC, San Diego, Key West, Disney World.

DW and I have just started our 6th month Full Time. As for me what I recommended are my top minimum. I have yet to add the others recommended as until the house sells I am at the edge of my budget. But do intend to add other Clubs listed above.
Wow...thank you all for your responses. I have lots to think about now but it's all right here in front of me...not so overwhelming anymore. BTW...retired 5.5 yrs ago...tetering on 65 But thanks for making me feel young...if even for a minute
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:39 PM   #14

We just joined thousand trails. $500 for annual zone membership. That gives you 30 free nights and $3 a night after that. Plus 40 percent off encore parks. Contract is just annual you can cancel after ea year instead of renewing

tomusaf is offline   Reply With Quote