Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Which Suburban Heater Do I Have ??

The problem is: When turned it on, the fan blower just keeps on , but it won't light up the burner. It had been intermittant all last winter, when I was living in it, by not lighting the burner when cycling in the night. I would wake up and hear the blower running.

Yes, I have fuel and plenty of power (13.5v). All my research here directs me to replace the sail switch.

I have ALL the manuals and books and everything that originally came with the motorhome for the buyer (a big 'pocket book). About the heater, there is only the heater's installation instructions.

I need to know the Model # so I can replace the SAIL switch. They are only $6. and I had been an automotive & aircraft tech for 40yrs, so I have the ability.

There are 2 styles. Yes, I could take it out and look at it, then order, and I may end up doing that. But.... I'd like to know what I have first.

The options are SF20; SF25; SF30; SF35; SF42. Likely NOT the SF42, as the return air requirements are 2x the others.

1994 Bounder 32H. 43k miles, and still like new (except the stripes).

Anyone ???

'94 Bounder 32h. Chevy V-8 44k miles and like new. Tow 4 down '85 Nissan 4x4 Kingcab
Retire in 1yr. 3mo. , but who's counting
mr300ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The model number should be right on the furnace itself, but I'm not familiar enough with Suburban to say where. Shouldn't have to remove it to see, though.

I would not conclude the sail switch is bad right away - could be inadequate air flow due to an obstruction in the outside air intake or exhaust. This is a common problem with RV furnaces.

You can call Fleetwood Customer Service (have your FIN - Fleetwood ID Number - handy) and they might be able to provide the heater model number for you. I don't know if their detailed records go back that far, but generally they can do that.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
As Gary says model should be written on the heater. I had similar issue with my suburban and replacing the sail switch was no help. Turned out my problem was a bad control board. That said it makes sense to try the cheapest solution first.
2004 Newmar KSDP 3353
Surrey B.C.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
On mine you remove the return air grate so you can access and remove the end plate with ducting attached (2 screws) the model number, serial number and build date is on the bracket that holds the high limit switch.
The above post is just my experience/opinion which is worth exactly what you paid for it.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
I just had a similar problem with one of mine. Turned out there was a pretty big mud dauber nest inside that would block the airflow. The heater would light, run for a couple minutes and then the burner would turn off. A little bit later it would repeat. Seems the overtemp switch was being tripped by the low airflow.
Cleaning the big chunks of mud nest out was a pain but it is working fine again.

Just something to think about...
Retired USN Master Chief
Sprdtyf350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks for the replies. There are no mud bug (or any others) around here in the Mojave desert that build nests. Very occasionally some yellowjackets, but they like it 'under' things high.

I will tackle the heater this weekend, and find the sticker/plate. I will likely just remove the sail switch to 'see' which one it is.

I might just jump the wires and try the heater. That way I will know for sure if all else works. maybe I should replace the limit switch too, since it will be right there, and it's only $5.

Hoping to go camping T-day.

'94 Bounder 32h. Chevy V-8 44k miles and like new. Tow 4 down '85 Nissan 4x4 Kingcab
Retire in 1yr. 3mo. , but who's counting
mr300ce is offline   Reply With Quote