Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #1

Recently I took my MH to my friendly tire store to check my tire pressure before leaving on our latest trip. I had just bought a digital tire gauge so I was anxious to test it against the commercial versions. It was a slack time obviously as 3 techs jumped at the chance to check my tires. After one had finished checking & inflating a tire, I checked it with my gauge. It registered 4 pounds over the tire's rated maximum. I called it to his attention. He argued that his gauge was correct. Another tech checked it with his & got a different reading from either of us. The third tech then tried his & got close to my reading. Each argued with the other that his gauge was the newest therefore the most accurate. One of the techs then went inside & got a new gauge out of the box that registered exactly what mine did. The moral of the story is have something to check the accuracy of the equipment used at tire stores. My tires would have varied by at least 5 pounds from each other had I not been checking behind the techs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #2

Recently I took my MH to my friendly tire store to check my tire pressure before leaving on our latest trip. I had just bought a digital tire gauge so I was anxious to test it against the commercial versions. It was a slack time obviously as 3 techs jumped at the chance to check my tires. After one had finished checking & inflating a tire, I checked it with my gauge. It registered 4 pounds over the tire's rated maximum. I called it to his attention. He argued that his gauge was correct. Another tech checked it with his & got a different reading from either of us. The third tech then tried his & got close to my reading. Each argued with the other that his gauge was the newest therefore the most accurate. One of the techs then went inside & got a new gauge out of the box that registered exactly what mine did. The moral of the story is have something to check the accuracy of the equipment used at tire stores. My tires would have varied by at least 5 pounds from each other had I not been checking behind the techs.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
So you're inflating your tires to the maximum stated on the sidewall????

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Magoo:
It registered 4 pounds over the tire's rated maximum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What type of tires are you running on which motorhome, what's your GVW and so on. I am a little concerned about your statement that you are running your tires at the maximum.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:43 AM   #5

Good idea to check your tire pressure with numerous gauges. I purchased a Schrader Mast'Air gauge from my local tire shop and I then check the results with a digital to compare. My results have been right on.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:03 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
A better idea would be to check your gauge against a calibrated source.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I own several tire gauges, some digital and some analog, some expensive and some auto parts store specials. One I purchased from the Rubber Manufacturer's Association, the trade group of the tire industry. The readings among them vary by as much as 4-5 lbs. That doesn't inspire much confidence, but it's not all that serious either. Tire pressures will vary by several lbs during the course of a days driving, during seasonal weather changes, as aresult of altitude changes and even according to the road surface. Accuracy isn't all that critical becasue you have to allow for a lot of variation anyway. What you should NOT do is measure with one gauge one day and a different gauge the next, since the difference between gauges can distort your picture of what is happening with your tires.

I would not want to be running at my tires max rated capacity under any circumstances. That includes within 4 psi of max. Too little margin for error. If you need that much pressure, you also need a higher rated tire. If you don't need that much pressure, set it where it belongs.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
A few years back, I had three different guages and they all gave me a different reading. I took them to a tire store and asked them to check and tell me which one was correct. He went out in the shop, came back and said "throw all three of them away and buy a new one"

He was not selling guages, but told me to go to a parts store and purchase a good truck tire guage.
big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:39 PM   #9

I just picked up my mo-ho from the dealer where I had valve extensions put on so I could keep a check on the pressure, and they filled them to the maximum stated on the sidewall.
Also, on a trip earlier this year I blew a tire and the service that changed it,( thanks Good Sams) said I should keep the pressure at the max. My tires were at 75 and he filled them to 85.
I assume fuller is better?

2002 Newmarr Kountry Star 3566
wynedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Okay --- differences in gauge readings do not surprise me --- but I'm wondering -

- do you keep your tire pressure at the coach's manufacturer recommended pressure??

- or do you keep your tire pressure at what's stated as the maximum on the tire sidewall??

My coach, for example, a Winnebago on a Sprinter chassis, has a manufacturer's tag recommending 60 psi --- the Michelin tires say a maximum of 80 psi on the sidewalls.

I run mine at 60 psi per the Winnebago/Mercedes recommendation.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wynedge:
I just picked up my mo-ho from the dealer where I had valve extensions put on so I could keep a check on the pressure, and they filled them to the maximum stated on the sidewall.
Also, on a trip earlier this year I blew a tire and the service that changed it,( thanks Good Sams) said I should keep the pressure at the max. My tires were at 75 and he filled them to 85.
I assume fuller is better? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wayne,

The intent is to inflate the tire so that the weight of the vehicle will be distributed evenly accross the tread. That pressure will vary depending on the load being carried. On my 95 Vectra even though the tires were rated at 115 PSI Max they were mounted on a 5500 LB axle and were not anywhere close to being loaded to the max. The correct pressure in my case was 65 PSI for driving around town and 75 PSI for extended Highway driving. At 115 PSI the center of the tread would have been so badly bowed out that the tires would have balded there preamaturely greatly reducing the life of the tire and reducing the quality of the ride. The tire techs did inflate mine to the max sidewall rating the last time I had it serviced and the first chatter bump we hit could have loosned a few teeth. To be most accurate have the coach weighed and then check the tire manufacturers inflation chart for the recommended PSI for that load. Michelin and Goodyear both have excellent resources on their web sites about tire inflation.

Regards,
Old 07-04-2006, 05:39 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
The correct pressure in my case was 65 PSI for driving around town and 75 PSI for extended Highway driving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first I've seen a different pressure for in town and on the highway. How did you come up with this?????

Old 07-05-2006, 02:13 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
The correct pressure in my case was 65 PSI for driving around town and 75 PSI for extended Highway driving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first I've seen a different pressure for in town and on the highway. How did you come up with this????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read the Chevy P30 Owners Manual onder tire inflation. Statement was to add 10 psi to the tire pressures on their chart if traveling at speeds over (45 mph?) for extended periods.

I'd look it up but that paperwork is a bit charred after the fire.

Regards,
Old 07-05-2006, 05:52 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just picked up my mo-ho from the dealer where I had valve extensions put on so I could keep a check on the pressure, and they filled them to the maximum stated on the sidewall.
I assume fuller is better? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wayne - check the sticker that your motorhome manufacturer put in the coach. It will show you the starting pressure. Next - have your motorhome weighed. Using the tire manufacturer's tables, you can refine the tire pressure.

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote