Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #1

OK..what is the deal about using a "white" water hose. If I fill my motorhome's water tank with a regular garden hose instead of the white one, what will be the consequences?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #2

OK..what is the deal about using a "white" water hose. If I fill my motorhome's water tank with a regular garden hose instead of the white one, what will be the consequences?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Bacock, The white hoses referred to in RVing are made for potable water. The regular green garden hoses are not..If you have ever had a drink from a newer green hose, they have a distinctive (bad) flavor from chemicals used in the manufacturing process. The white hoses do not have this.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #4

I am reading that a regular garden hose can leach chemicals into the water.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am reading that a regular garden hose can leach chemicals into the water. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO, it's more of a taste issue, as most of us drank from water hoses as kids, and we're all still here.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #6

Yea, but look what it did to Dirk!

Check it out!
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You may be on to something.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">IMHO, it's more of a taste issue, as most of us drank from water hoses as kids, and we're all still here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're assuming that today's water hoses are the same as the water hoses we grew up with...
Old 02-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm sure you're right about the change in hose construction, but I've seen a lot of RV's with all different types of hoses hooked up.

I use and recommend the white hose in spite of what others do.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:00 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also think the effect of green hoses on the taste of water is more if the hose is left connected for city water service than it is if you run a lot of water through it, then fill your tanks and then disconnect it. We can definately taste the difference and always use the white rv hoses for out water supply.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Supposedly, the green ones contain lead & other chemicals which can leach out from standing water inside the hose. Once you've run water through a hose, even when you empty & roll it up, there will still always be residual water left inside it. This water can absorb the hose chemicals.

The white hoses labelled safe for drinking water aren't supposed to have such chemicals (or very tiny amounts) in them to leach out.

I, personally, always use the white hoses for filling our fresh tank and for drinking from. Even though I did my fair share, as a kid, of drinking from a garden hose..one that was hooked up to a cistern that I distinctly remember dropping bugs into through the tiny hole in the large rock slab that covered the top. Eeewwww!

With that said, no matter which hose you choose to use, be sure to flush any of them for at least a minute before drinking from them or filling your rv's tank. You never know for sure what's been "brewing" in any hose if it's been idle for any length of time. Better safe than sorry, I say.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So, with all this leaching of harmful chemicals from green garden hoses, where are the warning labels against using them for drinking water usage.

Dieselclacker
Old 02-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have a brown hose labeled safe for drinking water. So, color is meaningless.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We've got a brand new (not even out of the package yet) black garden hose out in our garage that I just checked on. There's a sentence at the bottom of the cardboard cover that reads:
"WARNING: This hose is not for drinking use. This hose is made from recycled materials"

Granted, it doesn't mention lead, but I'd say that warning is enough to make me not want to drink out of it.

L-

P.S. Could a moderator please move this, if they think appropriate, to the General Discussion forum? I think this is a good topic not related to just MH owners.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote