Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
who has actually tightened their awning spring ?

i need to tighten my awning spring they make it sound really easy ! lol if you have done it plse share how ? thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #2

always have help and respect the spring. If things get loose it can be very dangerous.

don't overdo it. you want it so the awning needs just a bit of shove when extended to start the rollup.

do follow the manufacturer's recommendations - you do have them, right?

other than that, a bit tedious but no big deal.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
I believe in doing most things myself, assuming I can stay safe...awing springs are not something I feel is in that arena. I would go to CW or a dealer and let an expert do it. I need all my fingers for scratching and flyfishing... lol
Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #4

As Bryan said, respect that spring. When tightening the awning make sure you are using the tool or lever described in the awning installation manual. Be careful and go slow. Make sure you insert the tool properly and hang on to it tightly cause if that tool or the awning tube gets away from you it will cause damage.... either to you or to your rig.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have done about 100. This is not a hard job, but it takes two people. Pull the awning all the way out, but dont elevate it. the easist end is the locking end. (forward end) You will need a 7/16 wrench to loosen the arm screw. Remove this screw. Have someone hold the awning tube. pull the awing tube off the arm. Clamp the vice grips (Large pair) on the end cap. Turn the end cap four turns. replace the end cap, reinstall the endcap, Replace the screw. Try the awning. If it is still weak on retracting, Tighten the other end four turns. Remember there is no lock on the aft end. You will have to be very careful and not let it get away from you. You will have to have the pliers locked on the end cap, before you pull it off the arm. The best thing to do is just do the locking end of the awning, that will probably be enough tighten it up.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #6

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I did mine, a little scary but no issues as long as you take your time and make sure you never let go of the end cap once loose. Also remember that number of turns is different based on if your doing it open or in the stored position as well as the fact that the locking side turns a different direction than the back side. (Care free awnings)
These are the #of turns based on awning size
Size. Travel position. Extended
8-10ft. 7. 15
11-13ft. 8. 16
14-16ft. 9. 17
17-20ft. 10 18

Long length awnings require special winds as follows
Size. Travel position front spring. Travel position back spring
21-22ft. 2. 10
23-25ft. 3. 10

Carefree of Colorado phone number 303 469-3324

Since your replacing the awning, now is the time to add your awning tube light as well

Ron & Wendy 94 Pace Arrow 454
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Are these Girard or Carefree Awnings. I have the instructions for Girard awnings so let me know
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Never even heard of tightening an awning spring...is this one of those things like I saw a dealership want to charge an older lady for "changing her muffler belt?"
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #9

I have also done many awnings. I also had 5 stitches in my thumb last October because I was in a hurry and not paying attention when adjusting an awning spring. Be careful, read the directions, oh yeah, be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 Forum
Bjsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
ive read where someone has used the arm by releasing it and swing it around rather than disconnecting it ? seems as though that would work ? whats happenning is i catch a good cross wind and it gets loose ive got it velcroed good 2 in straps ! im just wondering if tightening the spring is the answer or do they come loose with a big wind ? oh and it retracts ok its the latching that seems to be the problem it doesnt always latch it seems its a 20 ft carefree thanks
Old 04-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #11

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Not sure what you mean about turning it around but if your talking for travel then there are all kinds of awning locks you can buy or you can go to the hardware store and make your own, here is a link http://www.srhams.org/awning_lock.html

Ron & Wendy 94 Pace Arrow 454
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr4Film
I just hired a mobile RV tech to tighten my patio awning springs, front and rear. The original tech that replaced my fabric made sure that it was closing OK before leaving which he did, however a week or so later when I went to retract it, it would not roll up without assistance.

The mobile tech charged $50 to do an adjustment on the two springs. I watched and helped so the next time I know exactly how to do it. It took all of 15 minutes to do the job.

Like ga travler states in his post, the mobile tech did it exactly the same. I held the roller and support rail while he removed the 7/16 inch screw. He had vice-grips attached to the top cap to give him leverage for adding two winds to the spring. Once the screw was off, he removed the top cap and wound the spring 2 turns and placed it back onto the support rail. Reattached the screw and he was done with the rear one. The front was a piece of cake as it is the locking one. He simply removed the 7/16 inch screw, I held the roller and support rail and he put 2 turns onto the front spring. Put it all back together and it now works as it should. just a little push and up it goes.

I am going to replace all of the pull straps on my Omega Slide Topper / Window Awning combination for each of the roadside slides, living and bedroom. Basically, to do that, you take apart the end cap that doesn't have the spring on it, slip the old stuff out and slip the new stuff in, install new 3/16 inch rivets into the end cap and your done.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #13
RMS

Awning

I've done a few, and agree with leaving the arm attached---much easier. Gives you some leverage.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Richard. If you are going to replace the pull straps on window awning, The factory suggests that you drill a hole in the groove that the strap rides in. Drill the hole just slightly larger than the end piece of the pull strap. angle in the pull strap end. Drill the hole at the end of the tube, next to the end cap. Do not go all the way through the tube. You only want to enlarge the lip. If you drill the tube, you want have to do anything the next time you want to change the strap.