Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2014, 09:47 PM   #15

I bought my Lifeline AGM's at powerstridebattery.com

becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 03:48 PM   #16

I have 4 Sams Club 6v Golf Cart batteries (wet Cell) marked 2005 & still going strong. I upgraded my converter same time I swapped batteries.

mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post

I have 4 Sams Club 6v Golf Cart batteries (wet Cell) marked 2005 & still going strong. I upgraded my converter same time I swapped batteries.
You be "the man". I think they are some of the best.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #18

Talking from first hand experience I replaced my 6 volt house batteries 4 of them and the last one I was hooking up blew up in my face with acid in my eyes and body,the thing that saved my eye sight I had a water hose next to me and I flushed out the acid that saved my eye sight anyways it was a new enterstate battery and no I did not hook it up wrong.to make a long story short it was built wrong in mexico after my lab report came in.buy Trojan batteries they are the best after much research that was in my unit from new and got great service from them
Old 09-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Old 09-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I like Lifeline or Trojan batteries, particularly for AGM, but the Sam's Club Duracells seem hard to beat for the price. I expect to replace my 6 year old Trojan G31 AGMs this winter and will probably use the Duracells.

There is no advantage to staying with 6v GC2 batteries if you change to AGM deep cycles. The advantage of the 6v golf cart batteries is their rugged deep cycle design, not the fact that they are 6v. Most any decent AGM deep cycle will have the same design characteristics of a GC2 6v, plus you get the AGM advantage of low maintenance. A group 29 or 31 12v has about the same capacity as a GC2 6v, but the case shape is slightly different (a bit longer for the 12v, a bit taller for the 6v). Chose the case size that best fits the dimensions of your battery space.

There are only a few battery manufacturers in the USA (just 3 majors), so no matter what the brand the odds are they came from the same factory. Just compare specs (AH or RC for capacity and number of charge cycles for longevity).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #21

Nice post Gary! Thanks for the information. What exact Sams Club battery where you referring too? The AGM or wet cell?

When I 1st acquired my 93 Pace Diesel Pusher It had shot 6VDC batteries and an old converter. I purchased 4 of the Sam's Club 6VDC wet cell golf cart batteries. I think what kept them in such good shape over the last 9 years was the fact I replaced the converter at the same time. Purchased a Progressive Dynamics 60amp converter with the charge wizard.

Back then the rig would overwinter NOT connected to shore power. I kept them charged up & hit the disconnect switches. I'd go out every 5/6 weeks & exercise the generator with both roof AC's on.

Shortly their after I just happened to stroll into a Cummins parts counter & they had those HUGE CAT batteries on sale, like $120/battery! I grabbed two of those suckers & slapped them in.

As you know these Hew Hampshire winters can get pretty harsh here. As long as I kept them watered & "Juiced Up" they would make it thru the winter w/o issue. To be honest with you, I did not really have to add much water & I attribute it all to the install of the Progressive Dynamics converter.

RM
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #22

buy the best Trojan batteries more money but worth it
bought new interstate batteries from good sam one blew up in my face ended up In hospital water hose saved my eye sight.battery was built wrong in mexico

good sam won't even talk to me saying it's not my problem it's interstate's-now owned by Johnson and Johnson medical people,getting to talk to lab engineer he said they are garbage being an independent lab he advised me to go back to Trojan which I originally had.
so beware
Old 09-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I have used Interstate batteries for years with no issues.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #24
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep trekker View Post

Yes but all that says is that they WERE good, and we all know that. It is the ones currently being manufactured that are of concern.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep trekker View Post

The OEM set of Interstate House Batteries in my coach were over 7 years old before they were replaced. I took lousy care of them, abused them, ran them almost dry a few times only because I was not informed about HOW to manage your house batteries.

I replaced them with the same Interstate Batteries hoping to get even better and longer service with proper care. Well almost three years later two of the four 6VDC batteries were bulging and constantly boiling. The other two were fine.

Ripped them out and replaced with four Sam's Club GC-2 Flooded Batteries.

I will never try the Interstates again. It will either be ones from Sam's Club or Trojan batteries for me.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #26

Exide! IMO, Interstate has cheapened their batteries in the last 10-12 years.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:54 PM   #27

What ever brand you feel loyalty to is fine, I suggest nothing but 6v. Golf cart batteries cause they are truly designed to be charged and discharged as often as an rv does.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
Old 09-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #28

I use Optima batteries, they are great, a little pricey but hassle free.

Tags
battery