Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #1

Who is your favorite battery supplier?

After reading many posts about batteries here, I'm convinced I want to replace my house batteries with 6 volt golf cart batteries. (AGM, not flooded cell)

But where is a good place to shop for them?

Flooded cell batteries are somewhat easy to find--I found some at Costco at a great price, but no sealed, AGMs. My local Wal-Mart carries no 6 volt golf cart batteries of any kind.

There are several pricey looking options on-line, but of course, shipping gets crazy with such a heavy product.

Should I just start calling auto parts stores for prices? Anyone have any good tips for locating a reasonably priced vendor?

--DonK
DonKarstedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Community Moderator

I have not seen many 6 volt AGM golf cart deep cycle batteries.

If you want AGM, I believe it's better to go with multiple 12 volt deep cycle batteries wired in parallel.

Something like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1409351776.421436.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	72354
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I prefer the 6 VDC Golf Cart batteries sold at Sam's Club. I use the flooded cells but they also offer them in AGM's

Energizer 6 Volt Premium Golf Cart Battery - Group Size GC2 - Sam's Club

Duracell® AGM Golf Car Battery - Group Size GC2 - Sam's Club

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Comparing prices also gives the advantage to the 12 volt AGM over the 6 volt.

Example:

Qty 2 of the 6 volt AGM batteries (combined 200 amp hours) costs $ 680

Qty 2 of the 12 volt AGM batteries ( combined 210 amp hours) costs $ 528

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1409352517.441543.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	602.9 KB
ID:	72355
Old 08-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #5

Richard, what is the Sams Club price for the AGM? I'm not a member, so your link won't show me the price.

--DonK
Old 08-29-2014, 04:52 PM   #6

Pasdad, I eventually want 4 six volters (that's the most room I have). I could never get that many amp hours using twelves.

--DonK
Old 08-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonKarstedt View Post
Pasdad, I eventually want 4 six volters (that's the most room I have). I could never get that many amp hours using twelves.

--DonK

Yes you can if the batteries physically fit the space. BUT remember, AGM batteries can be mounted in ANY position...sideways, on the side, doesn't matter, as they won't spill.

4 of the 6 volt batteries have 400 amp hours
4 of the group 31 12 volt batteries have 420 amp hours

When you wire batteries in series (two 6 volts) only count the amp hours of ONE battery.
When you wire batteries in parallel (two 12 volts) the amp hours of the batteries DOUBLE.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonKarstedt View Post

Richard, what is the Sams Club price for the AGM? I'm not a member, so your link won't show me the price.

--DonK
No price listed because they are only available from the store. Each location may have a different price. Choose a store near your location from their list and it will display the local price.

For example back in 2012 when I bought all new batteries for the House and Chassis, the GC2's were $75 each in the Fairbanks AK store. Back in the lower 48 someone paid over $80 for the same battery.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #9

Thanks. Even when I specify a store they won't show a price, so I guess I'll take a drive over there. They DO appear to be what I'm after, although the way they display the specifications, it's a bit hard to figure out what they're saying the amp hour rating is.

Thanks very much for the solid lead.

--DonK
Old 08-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I just checked the San Fernando CA store which is nearest to me and they don't carry them in the store so no price listed on their Internet site. However, the store can order them for you and will give you the price and the AH specifics that you are looking for.

Safe travels,

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I purchase LifeLine AGM batteries. Batteries + is where I purchase them. The batteries will need to be ordered. In the past, about 5 days to get them to the store.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
I purchase LifeLine AGM batteries. Batteries + is where I purchase them. The batteries will need to be ordered. In the past, about 5 days to get them to the store.
I also changed to the Lifeline 6V AGM batteries (GPL-6CT) and also got them at Batteries+. They almost always have a coupon online to save 10% if you hunt a bit so that helps out with the purchase. We are very happy with ours and between those and the solar we can go forever without running the genny unless we need AC or microwave.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
No price listed because they are only available from the store. Each location may have a different price. Choose a store near your location from their list and it will display the local price.

For example back in 2012 when I bought all new batteries for the House and Chassis, the GC2's were $75 each in the Fairbanks AK store. Back in the lower 48 someone paid over $80 for the same battery.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I'm seeing prices of $160 for the Duracell AGM. Were you referring to the flooded cells?
Old 08-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
That's correct!

I don't use the AGM's because I have had great success with the Sam's Club flooded cell batteries plus they require very little watering due to the Water Miser Caps I use on them.

So I can't really justify the additional cost for the AGM's.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
battery