Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Who makes high quality motorhomes in the 28-30 foot range?

Who makes high quality motorhomes in the 28-30 foot range?

It seems most quality rigs are quite a bit longer than 30 ft.
By "quality" I mean robust reliability for extended use or even full timing. etc. (Not necessarily luxury) I want it short because I'm thinking of national parks and boondocking.

PJinHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We liked our now departed 2004 Winne Sightseer 27C. Looked like a breadbox but it held up well. 8.1L V8 and 4L80E trans. We crammed in six 6v golf cart batteries. Add a couple of dandy solar panels with associated equipments and you will be all set.

2003 Dolphin LX 6355 w/ W22 chassis; 8.1L gasser & Allison 1000
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Everyone's take on "high quality" is different and then you have the gas/diesel debate. Most in that size range are gas but also a few diesels. Tiffin. Builds the 28' Breeze which is the smallest class A DP I'm aware of. I have a very good friend who just purchased a 27' Winnebago Vista which is a front engine gas. Winnebago also builds the Via which is a front engine diesel built on the Sprinter chassis. They also build the View and Navion which are class C's on the same chassis.all of these models have been around for a few years and are by first tier builders.
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Yep, Winnebago does
2013 Tour 42 QD 2011 Ford Flex
19?? Husband/ Capt. Ret USN
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I were going to buy a Class A, I would get a Tiffin Breeze 28'. Very nice unit and reasonable. And we may someday.
Like you, we prefer State and National Parks, we're not into the RV park experience. And for the two of us 28' is plenty of room.
I should add we love our Aspect, but our model has a corner bed, which is an annoyance. However the 27' Aspect has a walk around queen bed. Winnebago makes a quality motorhome IMHO.
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are going new, also be sure to check out the Thor ACE line. They have four different models that might just fit your definition of "high quality". Our ACE 29.2 gasser comes in at 29' 7" with ladder and has no problem in Rocky Mountain National Park (though most of the sites there require blocks under the wheels and jacks to get level). We added a few after market upgrades and are really enjoying it.
Colorado '15 Winnebago Forza 34T w/MKZ hybrid toad
Gormleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A search will reveal I think size discussions where folks with medium sized coaches don't have big trouble with national parks or private parks. We have been able to get our 37' coach into everywhere we wanted.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Check out the Jayco Class C's I've had one for just a over a year and the only problem was getting use to the hot water on demand.
Xmovieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Consider Newmar. Go to:
Motorhomes By Newmar Corp | The 2013 Bay Star Sport
Motorhomes By Newmar Corp | The All-New 2013 Bay Star
Motorhomes By Newmar Corp | The All-New 2013 Canyon Star
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Winnebago, Tiffin, Jayco, Newmar are all good places to start. And there is a reason these units cost more than some of the lesser competitors.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Quality Class C Motorhomes

There are two brands which should occupy the top of any list of quality manufactured Class C motorhomes, Born Free and Lazy Daze. These companies make only Class C motorhomes, nothing else. Until very recently, Born Free, located in Iowa, was a factory direct only company, however, they recently allowed Lazy Days RV dealers in Florida and Arizona to market their motorhome products. Born Free is a super quality unit, all you have to do is go inside one and you will be convinced. I own one.

Lazy Daze is a factory direct company located in California. The factory is the only place you can purchase one new. They have been in business for over 50 years and produce a quality product. One bit of information, however, they do not make a motorhome with a slide-out.

I strongly advise you to explore both manufacturer's website and see what they offer if you are looking for top notch quality. Pricing is also readily available on their site.
army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #12
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take a look at Rexhall. Little known but builds double full wall slides if wanted (has patent on dual full wall slides). Very strongly constructed but not luxury inside

2005 30' Rexhall Vision, W-22 chassis, 19.5 tires, 208'' factory WB, 6000 CCC
scoutmstr is offline   Reply With Quote