Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #1

I just purchased a 2003 36 foot Holiday Rambler Vacationer (gas) with 8400 miles. The dealer (Lazy Days) was pushing a "new condition" 5 yr 50,000 miles extended warranty for around $1600/yr. The 5 years started at the day I purchased the MH. I got a similar quote from Good Sam for around $1150/yr however I believe they stated that the time (5 yrs) started when the vehicle was placed in service (May 2003). Not having any experience with extended warranties on MH, I would appreciate any opinions on what plans would be better (considering coverage and cost).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #2

I just purchased a 2003 36 foot Holiday Rambler Vacationer (gas) with 8400 miles. The dealer (Lazy Days) was pushing a "new condition" 5 yr 50,000 miles extended warranty for around $1600/yr. The 5 years started at the day I purchased the MH. I got a similar quote from Good Sam for around $1150/yr however I believe they stated that the time (5 yrs) started when the vehicle was placed in service (May 2003). Not having any experience with extended warranties on MH, I would appreciate any opinions on what plans would be better (considering coverage and cost).

Old 02-04-2005, 04:03 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are going to have to do a "search" for the info you seek. Generally speaking, you can get a pretty good one, including wear and tear, 7 years, 70,000 miles for $2500 to $3000.

You need to check out who is/are the underlying insurance companies and have they a good record.

You need to get a sample copy of the actual contract, not just the brochure and read it TWICE or THREE times.

You need a contract that lists the items EXcluded. It will show paint, glass, brake pads and replaceable items. Do not get a policy that names the covered items. You might regret it.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:26 PM   #4

We took the extended warr on a new Vacationer from LDs. It was our experience that they sold it to another insurance company and that insurance company uses adjusters out of Tampa that says if you do not cross the T's and dot the i's, they are not going to pay. I got into a situation with them on replacing the gasket under my A/Cs. They call it a seal ( the pkg that it came in called it a gasket. So they did not pay. IMHO. I would take the money and put in into a Mutual Fund ( money market fund or an Equity Income fund or similar type of fund and use the money to make any repairs. We had very little problems with our 1999 Vacationer. If you get the warr, make sure you keep all receipts for oil changes, parts and etc. Otherwise they will not pay again IMHO We did not get one on our new 2004 Vacationer s/Toby
Old 02-05-2005, 08:40 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There are only a few companies actually underwriting Extended Warranties, which is a form of insurance. Lazy Days and just about everybody else is essentially an insurance agent, selling those policies under some name, sometimes with slightly different terms and conditions. And getting a commission which is often quite large. You can usually do better price-wise with a broker such as Warranty Direct or perhaps the Good Sam deal. Like with any insurance, you have to shop around for rates becasue there is a wide variation in prices and coverages. READ THE CONTRACT, NOT THE BROCHURE!

But you have to read the terms of the contracts and compare. You want an "inclusive" contract, one that covers everything except what is specifically excluded. Avoid a contract that lists what is covered and excludes everything else.

If you can afford the risk of an unexpected $1500-2000 repair, you are much better off self-insuring, that is, skipping the extended warranty altogether and keeping your money in the bank. But if an unexpected big bill would really blow you out of the water (you have no financial reserve), then an extended warranty gives you a way to pre-pay for repairs and perhaps finance that prepayment as well. That approach is expensive, though.

The warranty premium cost on a used coach is higher than a new one for the same number of years because it no longer overlaps the OEM warranty. When they quote a price on a new rig, it assumes that nearly everything in the first year or two will be covered by the manufacturer warranty. With a used rig, chances are the extended warranty will have to pick up everything, so the cost is higher.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #6

Might look into warranty experts (www.warrantyexperts.com).
Good BBB info and background. Policy says everything is covered unless specifically listed as excluded.

The policy I bought also states that if I don't have any claims during the policy period they will refund the original purchase price. Good peace of mind.

Good Luck

Starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 02:51 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I got a heck of a deal from www.rvprotection.net, but that was a year ago when they were trying to establish themselves as a warranty broker. Don't know if they are still offering such good deals now, but it's worth checking out.

Warranty Direct has been a consistently good source, with many satisified customers.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 07:15 PM   #8

Something else to consider is the fact that if you buy the extended warranty on a new coach, how much of that is wasted by overlapping OEM warranty? I would never consider taking out an extended warranty when my manufacturer's warranty is in force. Too many F&I people push them on new coaches because they get a commission on their sale.
Just another point to ponder...

2005 Revolution LE 40E
Steve Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #9

Hi Golfman59, Shortly after we bough our 2000 rig the builder went belly up and left us without a warranty on the coach. No problem on the chassis & drivetrain as Ford had a 3yr 36k mile warranty. I contacted "Warranty Direct" and got their "Platinum" coverage plan at a cost of $1,150 for 6 years or 65k miles. I thought we got a pretty good deal. Have had to use it a couple of times and probably recouped about half of the initial cost.

Good luck with your search, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:49 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Golfman59:
I just purchased a 2003 36 foot Holiday Rambler Vacationer (gas) with 8400 miles. The dealer (Lazy Days) was pushing a "new condition" 5 yr 50,000 miles extended warranty for around $1600/yr. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wow!! If you even for a moment figure that you might come out ahead by paying $1600/per year for so-called extended warranty "insurance", then you've obviously bought the wrong rig!!!

Like . . in the 7 years we've owned our Winnie, our total output on "repairs" has been less than $500!

When it comes to buying RV insurance: the bottom-line, is that it only makes sense when you are exposed to some sort of financial loss that you cannot possibly bear! Beyond that, insurance companies giggle with glee, that they've managed to suck in yet another sucker!!

For the most part, aftermarket "insurers" incorporate *SO* many weasel-clauses, that there isn't a chance in **** that you'll EVER live long enough to collect a plug nickle on any one of them!!! :-(

Notwithstanding, there are at least a *FEW* legitimate aftermarket RV insurers; statisically . . . less than 25%!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 06:11 PM   #11

Stan : You are right on. Say 5 years @ 1600 a year equals $8000.00 . I havent spent that much on reapirs that would be covered in the last 20 years. Then figure in the deductables and the denied claims. I was surprised to see the moderator of this forum offer suggestions as to who is a good company. Could it be the forum owners get a commision or sell them advertising? A moderator should offer generic advice and maybe even tell the poster that lots of RV owners in many forums have had problems with ALL the warranty providers.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:24 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stan Birch:
Wow!! If you even for a moment figure that you might come out ahead by paying $1600/per year for so-called extended warranty "insurance", then you've obviously bought the wrong rig!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have just had my transmission rebuilt for a total cost of $3300. While at Quartzsite asked for a quote from Good Sam on their CSP insurance; about $860 per year. We have owned the MH for 7 years, 7x860=6020, I figure we are still $2720 ahead, since this is the only repair we have had that would have been covered by their Continued Service Plan. As Toby said, invest that amount of money each year and pay the bill yourself, you will come out ahead
Gary,
Think maybe I figured out this Quote thing
Loren
Old 02-10-2005, 11:12 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by moisheh:
I was surprised to see the moderator of this forum offer suggestions as to who is a good company. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dunno if the company he recommended is good or bad. But in offering advise, I really don't see it as a substantial departure from offering advice on good -vs- bad RV manufacturers.

IMO, he has offered a fair and balanced assessment of the entire aftermarket extended warranty scenario.

1. If you can afford the risk of an unexpected $1500-2000 repair, you are much better off self-insuring . . .

2. But if an unexpected big bill would really blow you out of the water (you have no financial reserve), then an extended warranty gives you a way to pre-pay for repairs and perhaps finance that prepayment as well.

Those two astute statements tend to encompass the entire essence of aftermarket extended warranty insurance. While, indeed, at least 75% of aftermarket so called extended warranty insurance policies incorporate so many weasel clauses that there isn't a hope in H*** that you'd ever collect a plug nickel on one of them; there are at least a *few* companies who acutally offer legitimate insurance coverage.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:10 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Moisheh, I have to disagree with you on that one. I like a person to give specific recommendations as well as generic info. This gives us a good selection of material with which start our reseach. The moderators on this site do a good job, and I appreciate any resource they care to offer.