Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
My Dad Sister and I all have cobra CB's we use them we when we go camping (caravan) together. I have a cobra 29LX with a tuned antenna. It makes it easier (so we like to think) to just grab a mike and say we need a rest stop or fuel stop over using a cell phone to call and talk.

2008 Chevy Crew Cab Duramax/ Allison
2013 Coachmen Chaparrel Lite 279BHS
kbaerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
My 1996 motorhome came equipped with an all-in-one handheld CB. I used to use it all the time but I haven't used it since evacuating for Hurricane Ike. I do like the peace of mind knowing that I have it in case I might need it. As a single traveler that is important. I also try to have my cell phone charged in case I might need it on the road.

Barbara Spade
Jaymie (Sheltie/Pom) and Luke (Sheltie/mix)
35' Sea View (Class A) MH & Honda CR-V toad.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #17
Ford Super Duty Owner
I threw mine out and used the 12 volt supply for my ReadyBrake brake indicator light....
Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
Had one when I was just 16, loved it. had all the toys, "starduster" on the roof, "turner +3" on the desk, had them in most of my cars, as I was getting older. I can remember well, the nights spent, "shooting skip". Have a Cobra 29WX and a "Killer Bee" 250, with receive amp, now, installed in the dash, and, still have my Realistic Hand held. Most of the people I travel with now, don't have one, so I pass the time on my drives, just yacking my gums off as I drive along the route. Sure does make the hours go by faster.
The Friends I travel with now, use FRS, so I have those too, but still need to find a good in dash one. The handheld ones are such a pain, for driving.
Damn, I'm Good!
"I've got dozzens of friends, and the fun never ends, that is, as long as I'm buying."
HotMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Uniden 520XL Pro, cheap (~$50 at Amazon) small, tunes very well and holds up to all the vibration, dust etc you can throw at it off road. A few of our club members have tried the all in one mic Cobras, they can't hear the speaker, the mic is clunky and most have moved on to the old standard box with the mic only doing what it's supposed to do.

I have a 520XL in both Jeeps, the F-250 and the coach. I mostly just use it to keep in touch with the other Jeep club members when traveling in a group and it's pretty much a requirement on trails. Most times when I'm traveling with the wife it's off, there's a whole lot of mindless and occasional profane talk on some channels.
The above post is just my experience/opinion which is worth exactly what you paid for it.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #20
I use a connex 3300hp with a palamar 450hd and a monkey made ant. I use it all the time. I am a ex trucker and if your out west they are on ch 5 not 19 as much central and east is 19 it lets me know about wrecks gives me someone to talk to when I'm board. and yes I mess with fokes from time to time. lol the hidden models suck. if you are looking for one get a cobra 29 classic best radio for the money and if you go to a cb shop you can make it realy talk . and you can put talk back, echo, and other toys in it. good luck and have fun.
Time is life! money is just a tool. how much of your life is a tool worth?

Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you want CB, and I do use it.. Rarley,, I would recommend either of the top two Cobra models or the top Radio Shack.

I do not know how they stack up today but back in teh 70's I read an independent report. At that time the two "Big Boys" were Johnson and Cobra, Nobody could top their top of the line (They were about equal, close enough to say the same).

Radio shack's top of the line was the equivlent of Johnson or Cobra #2 in quality and performance. But the price was the equal of the big boy's #3 model.

This continued all the way to the bargain basement model (R.S's was cheaper).

As for what I do use.. Well, you can see my user ID. I spent 38 years as a Technician and later Tech Plus so I'm very into 2mtr FM and 70cm as well.

But I do not much talk on radio when driving.. I do use the HF bands when parked, I mean even Extra is no-code now (They removed the code requirment fully about 2 months after my Extra arrived in the mail or 3 months after I passed the test, take your pick).
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #22
When the motorhome is running the cb is on. Most of the time I wonder if it is working since there is very little chatter on 19 but non the less it is on. On just in case some one wants to call on me or if there is information being broadcasted that I want to know. Has helped me out many times, thus always on.
My out is better than in but as always a work in progress. I have one more mounting change to make and that will be the best I can do (as far as I know)

Cobra with the weather alert.
Renegade Garage Unit
Ed S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #23
Any old uniden my favorite is the grant xl a lot of tricks can be done
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #24
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup! Makes me misty eyed thinkin' of them good ole days of running beer from Texarkana.

1995 Coachmen Santara 360MB 36' w/slide.
Ford F53/460 chassis, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee "toad"
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Yup! Makes me misty eyed thinkin' of them good ole days of running beer from Texarkana.

Not just BEER....it had to be Coors.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #26
Originally Posted by chaperon View Post
We have a Uniden unit mounted in the Motorhome, have it turned on and tuned to channel 19 when on the road. I can count on one hand the number of time I have actually heard someone using that channel, and don't believe I have actually talked to anyone. I purchased a second hand held unit and use them for parking and manuvering - also works great when I go fishing or hiking and DW needs to get a hold of me...your lunch is ready, beers cold, stuff like that
Oh Soo Yes if you're fishing and separated from one or more. 'Anything going on in your location?' To someone's in deep do-do (a nasty fall) and needs help. Only thing that's a very close second (and no one should be off fishing 'alone' without one is a good Police whistle.

Your 'shout for help' won't go 40 feet; three blasts on a good whistle will carry a hell of a very long way.

Not had to use it for that purpose, but did answer one a couple of years back in the fly fishing only waters on the North Umpqua (Oregon).

Fishing and I hear the 'three blasts,' as faint as they may be. Two back at the top of my lungs. Three faint back, but then I knew he was down stream from me somewhere. Off come the wader (boots back on) and down 75 - 100 yards .. two full lung blasts. Three back but louder.

End game was fellow was around a bend and 700 some yards below me. Had rolled both ankles and he wasn't going anywhere without help. I wasn't enough help so hike up to the road (not a long way) and flag down a passing car, to a phone to OSP, and guy dove me back and stayed. OSP were there in less than 20 minutes (yes, we were a hell of a long way up river).

Improvised stretcher using a blanket and whacked down tree limbs, and we 'hosted/dragged' this Guy (he was, and still is, BIG! And I don't mean 'fat big') off the beach and up through the trees. Ammbie there a few minutes later to pick him up (out of Roseburg I'd suspect).

Asked for some paper and a pen (OSP officer gave me a note pad/pen, my pen was with my gear a half mile up river) and had him give me (and his) contact info (be here for a week at Susan Creek BLM CG-space # what-ever), went back and collected all his gear and walked back up/collected mine.

About three days later fellow (wife driving-he on crutches) drive up and it was a huge home-coming. "You OK Fella??!!" "You know how much I appreciate someone who understands the 'signals.' "

Do you?

Still correspond with "Charlie" almost on a daily basis.
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #27
iRV2 No Limits Club
I gave up on the CB years ago when the truckers used language that neither my wife nor I liked! Wife has worked in the shipping industry for 43 years now so crude language is no stranger to her, just no need to listen to it on the CB. I don't even turn it on anymore.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote