Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll bring this up because it was the #1 reason we went back to a MH. We had 2 MH's then switched to a TT and was very sorry we did. Actually we had 3 in the course of 4 years. Now we are back to a MH.

As you can see from my signature that I am a retired automotive instructor. I perform all of my own service and repairs. I was shocked to learn that MOST, but not all TT's have: drum brakes, no self-adjusters on the brake shoes, (Dexter's Tor-Flex axles do), no shock absorbers, nylon bushings in the leaf suspension, and no wet bolts. Wet bolts are leaf spring assembly bolts with zerk fittings.

The axle carrying capacities are usually slightly below the maximum TT capacity that you will probably exceed. Our last TT had two 3,000 LB axles for a total of 6,000 LBS. The TT was supposed to carry 7,000 LBS. That's 1,000 LBS over the max.

My experience in this area tells me that NO frame should be traveling down our highways without shocks to absorb and reduce suspension movement. There is nothing to be gained except a smoother ride. reduced sway, better and safer control, and easier on all parts.

You may not know this but a lot of TT's coming from the factory do not have the tires balanced. No the dealer won't balance them either unless you pay to have it done. Vibrations that you can't even feel will accelerate parts wear everywhere the vibration is transmitted. All of this to save about $40. Tell me how much sense that makes??

The included tires are rated very close to the max of the TT as well which leaves you no room for error when loading.

On our last TT we tried to order two 4,000 LB axles and 15" tires but were told they would not fit. After we got it I looked and am sure that they would fit.

Check on the TT forums. You will often read where an owner wishing to not drive a unit on the edge of destruction will spend $5,000-$10,000 to upgrade their TT's axles rims and tires.

There are a lot of TT's out there. There are a lot of people who love their units and wouldn't give them up and switch to a MH. I'm happy for them and wish them many, many happy miles.

Our new MH has 7,000 miles on it. I've performed no repairs but did change the oil. With our first TT at 7,000 miles I already had a broken strap holding the fresh water tank. Replaced the china bombs with new better and heavier tires. Changed the china bearings with TOYO brand. Packed the bearings with synthetic grease and adjusted the bearings correctly. Changed the suspension nylon bushings and added wet-bolts. Installed shock absorbers, and fixed three wiring issues. Probably 100-150 hours of work.

The frame is so thin that 8 support jacks still didn't keep the trailer from moving a lot while walking inside.

Final comment. When you read in the owners manual that it is not recommended that you fill the fresh water tank more than 25% before traveling because it's not designed to hold close to a full tank while traveling then I begin to question the build quality.

Any mechanical device is subject to problems but why ask for trouble by building a unit on the edge of destruction????

TeJay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #16

We bought our first MH last year, a 31 foot gasser. We bought it mostly because daughter and son in law live 1100 miles away ( and have RV hook ups on their horse farm!). It allows my 86 year old father in law (who really doesn't want to fly any more and our daughter is his only grandchild), to go up to visit, we ( DH and I) stay in the MH with the animals and grandpa stays in their guest room.

We all decided we really enjoyed the experience and wanted to do more trips other than just visiting DD and SiL. Size of MH is ok, but we decided to move to a DP a little bigger( 36 feet) for three reasons..... get my father in law a better sleeping arrangement, move the engine to the back for a more quiet ride, and get something that can tow a little more( current toad is almost at the limit for current MH).

The 31 foot MH we had ( will be trading when new MH comes in) is a nice floor plan for us, but not sure if it is something I could full time in. I would recommend you rent a couple different types of class A's and see what you like/don't like and how you will use the space!

Good luck!
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
Get a motorhome and go enjoy. The gas class A vs the DP is a discussion for another day. Definitely I am not unhappy with the gas A, as my neighbor with the 42' DP said I would be, especially when I see the price of gas vs diesel fuel

No regrets here

I don't know where you are, but unleaded passed diesel in Louisville several weeks ago. Now diesel is a buy.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #18

Since about the mid 60s we've owned them all. 3 TCs, 1 TT, 1 5ver, 2 MHs.

It just depends on your life style at any particular time. I have enjoyed them all. If you are parking for longer times 5vers are nice. Hooking and hooking can take time Vs a MH. Plus driving a PU around town can be a PITA. Especially in underground garages etc. in large cities. However, I liked my 5ver. Felt more like a home than the MH. Presently we are in a MH and like it. Would will I buy next? No idea. Maybe another MH, maybe another 5ver. Probably not a TT or TC. When we were much younger we loved the TC. We could go anywhere at a moments notice. TCs can go almost anyplace you would want to camp. TCs are pretty cramped for old people. JMHO.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
You haven't indicated your living plan. Is this to be for full time living; 1/2 time living, or seasonal. That will have direct impact on your RV choice.

Either way, I council you to look at used units, particularly if you decide on a motorhome.
If full time:
Diesel motorhome that's 40' or longer. Get something '05 or older & do some remodeling.
If part time then your specific plans will point you in a direction.

If you plan to travel often then motorhomes are hard to beat. If you travel less and are stationary more then 5th wheels are great. Manufacturers have put a lot development into the 5th wheels. You are, however, locked into a larger tow vehicle.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

I totally agree! If you will be doing a lot of traveling, a MH is the way to go!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A motor home is BIG and will take a bit of getting used to, Usually a day to a week. However a trailer is big as well and .... Long.
Motor home ride is much nicer than the tow vehicle

Motor home, if you are driving down the road and feel the urge to stop somewhere, and it's pouring rain, Pull off on any handy wide shoulder or rest area, go to the self contained "Somewhere" and never get wet.

Easier to back into a site and set up. IN fact if said pouring down rain many Motor homes can be parked on a pull through and mostly set up all from INSIDE (You need to go out only to plug in) and hook up hoses once rain stops Done that a few times myself in fact.

More living space

And here is a biggie: 5ER with good size tow vehicle, About 8MPG towing, perhaps 16 bob-tail (no trailer) 20 at best. This is your "running around seeing the sights and going to dinner/shopping/church" MPG. (and in my case choir practice)

Motor home with a decent towed,, Towing about 8MPG Same as the comparable 5ER.. Doing ye old run around 20-40MPG is common with modern cars, some are even better than that.

One suggestion: No matter what you decide on many RV parks are not exactly next door to your local Wal*Mart or Kroger's or Bi-Lo store.

Pick up a good size "Picnic Cooler" and some blocks of that "Blue Ice" or other re-freezable plastic baggies,,, (I get some every few months for free with some meds) ...

Put the cooler in the run-about, put the ice in the freezer (When there is room) and freeze it.. Toss the blocks in the cooler when you head to the store, Buy groceries, including frozen/refrigerated foods, PUT THEM in the cooler and .... You will very likely get back to the RV before the ice cream melts.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
There is no denying that a MH is more convenient than towing. They're easier to back up, have more storage space, and are usually more 'customizable'. The only real drawback when compared to the other options is the need for a toad or scooters or something, to be mobile if you intend to park for long periods. Past a certain age, bicycles just don't hack it anymore.

For fulltiming, I'd think you'd want the biggest thing you can afford. It's easy to NOT use all the extra space you have, kinda hard the other way around.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #22

JMO, if you are doing more camping then driving a 460 gasser will do just fine.

Going down the road & driver needs a break, pull into any rest area. Stretch legs & use bathroom. Means a rest area with no facilities you still have them. For us its usually a dog pee break also. We have several large dogs.

Our tow'ed is a dollied Rav4 which is a compact SUV.

As mentioned, a class A basement storage is amazing. Gave up some with the tag axle but still have alot more then a TT, 5er, or class C.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Amenities while driving and ease of making/breaking camp.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #24

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...rs-130973.html

Sal, if you want a motorhome with a mancave capability, look at the class A toyhaulers. The on board garage is very versatile. Sometimes when we are camped my wife will even convert it into a womancave and dog cave by setting up a sewing room in there.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:41 AM   #25

An option for a mancave is enclosed car hauler behind the MH. Vehicle is removed & you have a large enclosed space.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We went to a Class A for many of the reasons above.

The Diesel Pusher vs. Gas choice is really very easy to make based on budget. If you can afford the DP, great. But, the statistical reality is that there are almost 3 gas motor homes sold for each DP. Because of this and the cost to purchase and maintain a Diesel rig, used gas RV's are much more plentiful and cheaper.

The linked Thread above (JeffAZ) about Class A Toy Haulers is the way we went too. SO VERSATILE, the Garage can be a man cave, shop, dining room, spare bedroom, kennel room, office, den, party room during rain...etc.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...rs-130973.html

We tow a small car for getting around at destinations as well as taking bikes or a motorcycle. So many options.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
It seems that one of yor major concerns is cost. We were in the same boat as to which way do we go? After one winter in a 5th we decided to go to a M/H. We were lucky as we picked up a 1999 for 35000 and put about another 5000 into as oil change and all the little things that had to be repaired.

We have been in it for 6 mo. and I am glad that this is the way we went.

If you look around there is got to be a deal for you and I am also happy that we got a DP.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #28

Having experienced TT's, fifth wheels, and MH's. I have found that a MH will work best for us. We plan to move up in the next 2-4 years. Originally we planned to move to a big fifth wheel or Toyhauler and new dually, but my wife would always turn her nose up when I would talk about traveling more than 3-4hrs. She does not like to ride in a pick up all day and it can be rough on little kids too. I'm more of a "road dog" I have a trucking/driving back ground and I would pull or TT coast to coast without thinking twice.

But in a MH I could drive ALL day and get us to a destination we would not have made it to with a trailer because my wife would want to stop after 4-5hrs or I would not be able to get her out of bed to leave at 3 or 4AM. The other thing I have figured out is a 3-6yr old gas class A is cheaper than and new truck and trailer, eventhough we never planned on buying a brand new trailer. A new GAS 3500 crew cab is $34,000 in the work truck package, and a nice used 30-35ft TT is $15-25k. Your talking $54k right there. Looking at 5 year old gas MH's there are tons of them right around 50k that are like new in all sizes. I didn't even mention a new F-350 or 3500 DIESEL then your talking $50K for just the truck. Thinking this way makes a MH a no brainer for us.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote