Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
We went to a Class A for many of the reasons above.

The Diesel Pusher vs. Gas choice is really very easy to make based on budget. If you can afford the DP, great. But, the statistical reality is that there are almost 3 gas motor homes sold for each DP. Because of this and the cost to purchase and maintain a Diesel rig, used gas RV's are much more plentiful and cheaper.

The linked Thread above (JeffAZ) about Class A Toy Haulers is the way we went too. SO VERSATILE, the Garage can be a man cave, shop, dining room, spare bedroom, kennel room, office, den, party room during rain...etc.
Class "A" Toyhaulers

We tow a small car for getting around at destinations as well as taking bikes or a motorcycle. So many options.

Best luck
I noticed some class A toyhaulers have the main bedroom as aloft and fold down beds in the gargage area. Do any of them have a dedicated bedroom that is not a loft. We looked at Damon Outlaw and did not care for the loft idea as our bedroom.

2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #30

We started out with a 25ft TT, then a 32ft gas MH, and now we have a 36ft DP. The biggest reason we went to a MH is the convenience. It's easier, for me, to hook up the toad vs. hooking a truck up to a TT or FW. I or the DW drive the toad up to the MH as opposed to backing up to a TT or FW.
As several others have mentioned it's nice when you have or need to stop you have a restroom just behind you, you don't have to leave the coach. One of the things we like is the interior of the MH is already warm or cool depending on outside conditions when we arrive at our destination. If we know we'll be arriving late in the afternoon the wife will frequently put a meal together in a slow cooker before we leave, sit the slow cooker in the sink, fire up the gen and the meal cooks as we go down the road.
We also travel quite a bit in the colder months of the year. And as previously mentioned, if there is inclement weather when we arrive all we have to do is put the slides out and level up without leaving the comfort of the coach. I can go out and hook up electric, sewer and water later.
Another plus to me is our Saturn toad is a lot more maneuverable and easier to park than a big 3/4 or 1 ton pickup when sightseeing or running around. Now there are downsides, I can't back up with toad attached like those with a TT or FW. And we don't have as much interior storage as newer FW's and TT's do, but we'll take the convenience and ease of set up over interior storage.

Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #31

One thing not mentioned is when you decide to pull off at a rest area because of the weather or traffic. You are already in your shelter.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #32
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
I noticed some class A toyhaulers have the main bedroom as aloft and fold down beds in the gargage area. Do any of them have a dedicated bedroom that is not a loft. We looked at Damon Outlaw and did not care for the loft idea as our bedroom.
The RV makers have heard your plea...For dedicated bedrooms in the NEW RV market there is the Newmar Canyon Star 3920 and 3921 and the TMC Outlaw 37MD.

See:
Canyon Star Floorplans | Newmar
and
Canyon Star Floorplans | Newmar
and
2015 Outlaw Class A Toy Haulers: Class C Motorhomes by Thor Motor Coach

The Newmar's do not have a loft at all (limits max accommodations to 10 persons). All Outlaw's have the loft (max sleeping is 12). And these dedicated bedroom spaces are just what customers have demanded.

But, just so it is said...WE LOVE OUR LOFT!! Ours is a Cal-King sized area that is always clean, quiet, and set-up. There is no traffic through that space and the bed does not waste any valuable square footage. Getting into bed is just 4 easy steps and we just roll into the loft.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #33

But then you are dealing with the expense & headaches of a new MH.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Built in clean restroom, snack bar with full time waitress, 5 minute set-up power and water.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #35
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Built in clean restroom, snack bar with full time waitress, 5 minute set-up power and water.
I'll bet your DW doesn't read your posts.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #36
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
But then you are dealing with the expense & headaches of a new MH.
The new offerings were just a reply to 2500HD. Plus these models are coming to the used market (Newmar started offering the 3920 in 2008 as a 2009 model)

For the OP, in the Thread Class "A" Toyhaulers there are other models made in the past that have bedrooms like Travel Supreme, older Newmar models and others.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #37

Thanks everyone and please keep it coming. We are getting the best info we have found ANYWHERE online!! You all are amazing!!

Kyle and Sally
Old 06-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a B+ and moved to an A. The primary factor for me was the larger (30') class C's are still on the Ford F-450 van chassis and running gear with a 14,500 GVW. With the A, I moved up to a bigger chassis with bigger, stronger running gear, and a greater GVW, albeit with the same engine. Many large class C's don't have a whole lot of CCC or OCCC.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #39

My choice was made easy with a low-milage, low-cost MH just arriving on the military base sale lot. I was able to bay cash, had enough room to resell it if needed, and most important...I could set it up in minutes by myself. I worried about towing a large 5er.
My plan is to see how we like this, and then trade it in on a bigger MH.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:37 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
"...I will be reconfiguring the interior because he needs a designated man space..."

Seriously? Or are you being euphemistic for some other reason, perhaps medical? I just want to clearly understand. You two are talking about living in 240 square feet, and he needs a "designated man space"?
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:55 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
"...I will be reconfiguring the interior because he needs a designated man space..." Seriously? Or are you being euphemistic for some other reason, perhaps medical? I just want to clearly understand. You two are talking about living in 240 square feet, and he needs a "designated man space"?
Perhaps he wants a desk or a small workspace set up in the coach. People often reconfigure or repurpose areas in their coaches. What is the big deal with wanting a small bit of space to call his own?
Old 06-16-2014, 10:49 PM   #42

LOL-Man Space

Yes, we are talking about 240 square feet and giving him a desk type area where he can have "man stuff". Why wouldn't he want a man space as I intend to have a small enclosed area that has my crafting stuff...

We currently have 2100 square feet and live 99.9% of our time in one room that is 12 x 20 with a man corner and a craft corner. It works.

I love small spaces and love re-utilizing spaces that others may not think to use. I love furniture that has multiple purposes and the more creative we need to be, the better.

Sal