Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 11:57 PM   #43

One nice thing about an MH over a trailer -- especially if you are driving somewhere and then staying a while -- is that you can have a nice small car to get around, rather than some big truck that bounces you on every rough road.

If you aren't putting in the miles, a gas Class A; they are louder when you drive them, slower, and burn more fuel, but that's not going to be a big expense if you are moving it just a few times a year -- and will be offset by that small car.

And definitely go big. 31 feet will be VERY compact to spend 3 months in.

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #44

My designated "man space" is the footprint of my Lazyboy and a couple of tool boxes in the basement.

One thing you said stood out to me as the reason full timing works so well:

"We currently have 2100 square feet and live 99.9% of our time in one room that is 12 x 20 with a man corner and a craft corner. It works."

After our kids were gone, my wife and I were exactly the same. I tell people that RV living is like a JPEG photo or a zipped file. All the important stuff is still there but the empty space has been squeezed out.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:09 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Here is the only way to get that true man cave!
We love it.
Loving life.
Enjoy When you time arrives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windsor and Trailer 2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	65589  
Gravy1159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #46

Had all the pull trailers including late model 33' 5th wheel. I was leaning towards high end 5th wheel last year but DW wanted motorhome. I gave in and sure glad we did. 5th wheel was comfortable, thought it had lots of storage and pulled with ease.
Our Tiffin 36LA is pure luxury, easy to drive, have not even filled all the compartments yet, cheap to maintain and gets similar mileage to 5th wheel set up. Love sightseeing with smaller more economical toad.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:21 PM   #47

Send a message via Yahoo to DoubleCK
We chose a Class A DP for all the reasons previously discussed. But foremost for us was the flexibility of the travel/rec vehicle(s) that we could bring along.

There may come a time when we swap out for a Jeep, etc. Flexibility!
DoubleCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCK View Post
We chose a Class A DP for all the reasons previously discussed. But foremost for us was the flexibility of the travel/rec vehicle(s) that we could bring along.

There may come a time when we swap out for a Jeep, etc. Flexibility!
How are ya going to put the jeep in the bed of the pickup?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #49

Send a message via Yahoo to DoubleCK
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
How are ya going to put the jeep in the bed of the pickup?

Emphasis on "swap." LOL. (-:

I think we have all we can handle for now.
DoubleCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #50

Ford Super Duty Owner
we had several TTs that we enjoyed however my wife was not into driving a tow vehicle. She and the kids typically camp 8 weeks a year mostly without me because i work alot so except for a couple of long weekend trips that i go on they were out alone. not a problem except i would have to take the TT to campground, set it up, then come back to get it afterwards. When wife started talking about moving to big 5th wheel of course that meant i needed bigger truck which would still leave me doing the old routine. After we priced out the rig she wanted and the truck, we started looking into motorhomes. Discovered we could get into liw milage used one for less than a new truck wad going to be so went that way. Wife does the driving now and can ho where she pleases without the previous hassles. Should have gotten motorhome years ago.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
MH=Comfort. Back problems not a problem! I have a hard time driving 30 min. in a car or truck so a TT was out but I can drive for over an hour in our 37' MH and drove over 2 hrs once. If you get a TT you are stuck driving a big truck every day that gets bad gas mileage. You can move around is my main advantage so I don't get stoved up . Look at 36' or longer compared to 29' to 32' you will end up buying a 36'+. No difference in the driving. I test drove a 29' and had to have MH after that. I rented a class A and hated everything about it IMO. The wind blew me all over the road, access to everything was bad, I just didn't like it. I now have clearance to purchase a toad but that is another story. I want jeep she doesn't but she said she would go look at one so hmmm?
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote