Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #1

Why a MH?

Hi All,

Hubby and I have a five year timeline to retirement. I grew up with parents who were in education so we spent summers first in a 23 ft. Frolic TT and then upgraded to a '67 Airstream (31 ft).

For a while we talked about restoring an airstream but really, we want the slides and upgraded comforts of a more recent RV. There are so many choices out there and we have been to RV shows/lots and talking pros and cons. It will be just us and the cats.

What I am looking to hear is your personal views. Why did you personally choose a MH? We will probably not have the money for a diesel pusher type unless we win the lottery. I am still leaning more towards a 28- 31 ft MH and towing our versa (43 mpg). Whatever we get, I will be reconfiguring the interior because he needs a designated man space and I am not at all into the dinette or jackknife sofas.

If you would be willing to share why you chose yours, thank you!

Sal

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #2

• Ease of setup/packup. If it's raining when we arrive (like this last weekender), don't even need to venture out.
  • Accessibility while travelling. Bathroom and kitchen available while driving down the road.
  • Don't need a big truck which is a waste if you're not pulling the rig.
  • More relaxing to drive.
  • More CCC (usually).
  • MPG is only slightly down on our old Expedition/TT combo. 8.5mpg vs 10mpg.
  • Can go 800 miles on a tank (theoretically). Don't normally let it get that low.

chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Firstly,

We chose a Diesel Pusher MH over a travel trailer (TT) or 5th wheel because it gives us the space we want when we are travelling. No need to stop for bathroom breaks or for a snack because my DW can just go back & take care of it. Plenty of room for the dogs to stretch out and sleep too. I prefer the view out of the front and sitting up high over traffic. Ours is very quiet at highway speeds and drives quite well. I like bringing a small car instead of having to drive around a town in a big dually. Finally, I like the huge amount of storage space that you get with a DP.

For a reference point, I do have a diesel pickup for daily use and towed a racecar trailer long distances for years, and I know that travelling in the MH is so much easier.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #4

Our decision really came down to the fact that my wife could get up and move around. She has had 5 back surgeries and a four hour car ride is good for a couple of days downtime. So the MH has given us the ability to see the country.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
I second chawkins99! Plus while driving to our destination, just pull into a rest area or side of the road to have lunch, easier to back into a campsite, much easier to wallydock or boondock in between destinations, usually can carry more stuff with you.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meezermom View Post
Hi All,

Hubby and I have a five year timeline to retirement. I grew up with parents who were in education so we spent summers first in a 23 ft. Frolic TT and then upgraded to a '67 Airstream (31 ft).

For a while we talked about restoring an airstream but really, we want the slides and upgraded comforts of a more recent RV. There are so many choices out there and we have been to RV shows/lots and talking pros and cons. It will be just us and the cats.

What I am looking to hear is your personal views. Why did you personally choose a MH? We will probably not have the money for a diesel pusher type unless we win the lottery. I am still leaning more towards a 28- 31 ft MH and towing our versa (43 mpg). Whatever we get, I will be reconfiguring the interior because he needs a designated man space and I am not at all into the dinette or jackknife sofas.

If you would be willing to share why you chose yours, thank you!

Sal

You haven't indicated your living plan. Is this to be for full time living; 1/2 time living, or seasonal. That will have direct impact on your RV choice.

Either way, I council you to look at used units, particularly if you decide on a motorhome.
If full time:
Diesel motorhome that's 40' or longer. Get something '05 or older & do some remodeling.
If part time then your specific plans will point you in a direction.

If you plan to travel often then motorhomes are hard to beat. If you travel less and are stationary more then 5th wheels are great. Manufacturers have put a lot development into the 5th wheels. You are, however, locked into a larger tow vehicle.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #7

Motorhome

My dw and I bought a 2011 fleetwood bounder new the year we both retired from teaching. Neither one of us camped much. It is 36 ft long completely self contained. It has a bath and a half. It is just us and Lexie (pug). We would not trade it for the world. The layout is perfect and drives really nice, set-up is easy. We get 7.5 miles per gallon pulling a jeep wrangler. Search 2011 fleetwood bounder 35h. This was a 37 year dream that came true.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #8

Reading your message it sounds like we are doing similar things. DP's are out unless one has ample financial resources and want to spend them on the unit. We are on our second C but still thinking maybe an A gasser in the same range. The big C vs A issue is the windshield. Some people like sitting in the front of the bus and some avoid that big sheet of glass. It is a gut issue not a reasoned one.

As to picking a MH over a tow behind it comes down to the size of the tow vehicle and the convenience in bad weather. We like to drive the big unit with a small tow option for running around. Much easier in a lot of places like most of the NE. We also pull over if the weather/traffic is too crappy to mess with. Take a nap, make a meal or whatever. That also means we pick units that do not have slides or work with the slides in.

Not sure what he wants as a "man space" but there is not a lot of room in a 30 ft anything. One thing we are considering is a bunk house model so we can reconfigure the bunk area into an office/craft space. The one's I looked at had a privacy door to shut the back off from the rest of the unit.

Tables and chairs are an option with many units and can be retrofitted into many others. Not sure what your problem is with the sofa. Storage under the sofa is a plus.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Sal, we have been through all versions of RV except the 5th wheel, which was where we had to decide between that and motorhome. We decided, as you can tell by avatar, motorhome. Still I honestly question the decision, but.... What made me decide was grandkids, storage and convenience on the road. In that order, traveling with my children and their kids was a two vehicle deal when we had the pick-up and travel trailer. That was a pain although it was only a few trips that is was an issue, like annual Disney trip, couple of weekends here and there. Second was the storage issue, there I am talking about being able to bring STUFF. We had precious little storage in the TT and a 5th wheel was a little better, but the motorhome beat them all hands down, we still have "vacancies" in some compartments. The straw that breaks the camels back is the convenience, and there are many that are tough to beat. DW can walk to get me cold soda, get up and stretch her legs, grab snacks for kids, grands watch movies during trip. Want lunch, pull over in rest area crank up generator and cook lunch, bathroom break, etc without ever leaving vehicle, nice when cold, rainy, whatever. In a pinch Walmart nights, have everything you need and never have to open door. Now the part that sold my DW is, pull into site, push a few buttons and you are level, slide out and ready to hook up, no un-hitching, cranking jacks. And the space is phenomenal, kids have room to play and place to sit for everyone, was not the case in the TT. Now the down side, hmmm can't think of many, maybe slight disavantage in operating/maintenance costs. Of course you will need a toad, but that is another story.

Get a motorhome and go enjoy. The gas class A vs the DP is a discussion for another day. Definitely I am not unhappy with the gas A, as my neighbor with the 42' DP said I would be, especially when I see the price of gas vs diesel fuel

No regrets here
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #10

howdy
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #11

Additional Clarification

Sorry Steve, I thought I mentioned it.

We will be fulltiming. Our plan is to stay in one area for 1-3 months but may be moving to membership type campgrounds within an area or locale.

Remembering the summers as a kid, I am hoping to stay places where anything bigger than a 31 footer may not be able to go easily. My parents actually rented a trailer for a long weekend and as they watched a family not able to set up to set up their tent trailer for hours in the pouring rain, decided then and there never to have the more affordable pop up. I remember all those years, wanting to be able to pull into a rest stop and easy grab a cold drink or go to the restroom without having to go into the closed up vehicle. I also think it would be easier on the cats and as I am tall with long legs, I feel like the drives would be more enjoyable in a MH.

Dad used a suburban to pull the airstream but we have considered a diesel truck to pull a fiver- we have friends full timing this way and ended up buying cycles/toyhauler so they could keep extra miles off the truck. I am still leaning towards a MH and that's why I want to hear why others chose a MH.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #12

I agree with what Chris and Jo stated and also would like to add that our plans are to move around every week or so. If we were going to sit for months, I think we would have gone with a fifth wheel. IMHO the MH is easier to back into spots and we like the ability to go to the fridge or bathroom while on the road. If we stop at a rest area we don't have to leave the coach but I usually walk around to spot check under the coach, the toad and hitch, etc.

Best of luck on your choice.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meezermom View Post
Sorry Steve, I thought I mentioned it.

We will be fulltiming. Our plan is to stay in one area for 1-3 months but may be moving to membership type campgrounds within an area or locale.

Remembering the summers as a kid, I am hoping to stay places where anything bigger than a 31 footer may not be able to go easily. My parents actually rented a trailer for a long weekend and as they watched a family not able to set up to set up their tent trailer for hours in the pouring rain, decided then and there never to have the more affordable pop up. I remember all those years, wanting to be able to pull into a rest stop and easy grab a cold drink or go to the restroom without having to go into the closed up vehicle. I also think it would be easier on the cats and as I am tall with long legs, I feel like the drives would be more enjoyable in a MH.

Dad used a suburban to pull the airstream but we have considered a diesel truck to pull a fiver- we have friends full timing this way and ended up buying cycles/toyhauler so they could keep extra miles off the truck. I am still leaning towards a MH and that's why I want to hear why others chose a MH.

The size question is one that only you can answer. After 7 years full time, I can tell you that we are very happy we didn't go shorter than 40'. Remember that you are not on vacation, you are living your life. For the most part, if you are too big for one specific campground, there is usually something suitable close by. Most of the membership type campgrounds and the commercial campgrounds will be ok with 40'. Most COE campgrounds are roomy enough.

If you use a pad devise, get the "All Stays" app. It's great and links to campgrounds so you can check out size limitations.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Just my opinion here but with the husband wants a man cave go bigger, you will need the space fulfilling. If budget permits there is a floor plan that has a rear office space off the bedroom a area. This would give wife this living room kitchen area all to her own and there are doors between if more isolated space is wanted. Don't know your budget but a better quality diesel pusher will be more comfortable wit more amenities for full timing. I am 63 foot long with trailer and have no problem with parking without dropping the trailer close to the things we want to see and do.

LEN