Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #57

QUIET?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Brobox nailed it. You cannot get the answer to your question just by looking at the cost side of the ledger. You have to consider the benefits, and to understand that you have to drive the gasser and the DP and compare the experience. I was all set to buy a gas coach, but the day I drove my first DP was the last time I ever considered a gas model. The difference has to be experienced to be understood.

Based on that experience, I would rather own a 10 year old DP than a brand new gas model.
Funny I was just at an open house at one of Ontario's largest motorhome dealers who had a 2008 DP idling to show to a prospective buyer. Holy crap it was so noisy, whole rear of coach was rattling and we walked shaking our heads. How on earth could this be quieter than my gas coach? Maybe it was a one off but seriously it was bad. Maybe the newer one are quiet but this one sure was not. PS almost every window seal was faulty. Glad I don't have to deal with dual pain windows. Once the sales guy left I advised the people who were considering it to run not walk away.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #58

A DP is generally much quieter while driving because 1 the engine is 30+ ft behind you & 2 while pulling a steep hill, the DP isn't Reving like the gas engine . Again , if that isn't a concern , than no worries. It hasn't been a concern for me , but than I haven't had to pull any really long steep grades.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #59

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Glad I don't have to deal with dual pain windows.
Maybe the seals on the windows on that coach were bad, but this is another of those things where if you've never had dual pane windows you have no way or appreciating the quiet they bring to the inside of a MH. Yes, they're nice in cold weather and pretty much eliminate condensation on the inside but the quiet is the best benefit of all IMO. If you've never dual pane windows you can't appreciate the benefits, [moderator edit]
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:39 PM   #60

Seals

I've seen brand new motorhomes with bad seals. I prefer to live without. Besides a 1/8" airspace if that is barely worth the minor benefit they provide.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
Raining Star, as a professional driver with "twenty years and several hundreds of thousands of miles" under your belt, I'm a bit confused why you would need to ask your question here. You state the DP models you're looking at are on a Freightliner chassis, one you are very familiar with, yet question the cost between OTR chassis & components compared to MDT type components. While not a professional driver, it's obvious to me when I drive one of our OTR trucks that the suspension, power, transmission, rear ends, and brakes are far superior to a MDT unit and by design, more costly.

As you have discovered with your shopping many, if not most, DP chassis' are built around OTR components. It would seem you have found the answer to your original question. Only you can decide which chassis is right for your application. Good luck with your decision.

I asked here because the vast majority of professional drivers and mechanics have no experience with the purchase of their equipment. Other than the somewhat beefier size of the DP components there isn't much that you can determine about purchase cost just from driving them, even for years.

A few people provided the general information I was looking at. [moderator edit]

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #62
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Folks, some posts have been deleted & edited due to personal attacks violating our Community Rules.

Discuss the topic respectfully or move on.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:05 AM   #63

Raining Star
People being people is inevitable. We enjoy the good and avoid the bad. We have wheels on the bottom of our rig. They allow us to head on down the road. Illegitimi non carborundum.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #64

WOW--61 posts and we still haven't settled the age old question: " Are DPs better than gassers?" No wonder world peace is so much harder to solve. One thing is sure, once you spend this kind of money on either a gasser or a DP, the average owner is not going to take kindly to being told their rig is inferior or not worth the money spent.
As high-end gassers and lower end DPs continue to blur the lines between good enough and great, it still comes down to durability and comfort. If you are a "weekend warrior" and travel only a few 1000 miles per year, casita, trailer or gasser will be fine. However, the true road warriors among us, those who log tens of thousands of miles per year, will surely enjoy the "benefits" of a DP. "Can't we all just get along?" [smile]
As for Mr Raining Star, I suspect you knew the answer, or at least had your own opinion about all this, before you posted your question. Your pretense of shock over the answers received rings a bit thin.....but good job, none the less.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Why are DP's more expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
WOW--61 posts and we still haven't settled the age old question: " Are DPs better than gassers?" No wonder world peace is so much harder to solve. One thing is sure, once you spend this kind of money on either a gasser or a DP, the average owner is not going to take kindly to being told their rig is inferior or not worth the money spent.
As high-end gassers and lower end DPs continue to blur the lines between good enough and great, it still comes down to durability and comfort. If you are a "weekend warrior" and travel only a few 1000 miles per year, casita, trailer or gasser will be fine. However, the true road warriors among us, those who log tens of thousands of miles per year, will surely enjoy the "benefits" of a DP. "Can't we all just get along?" [smile]
As for Mr Raining Star, I suspect you knew the answer, or at least had your own opinion about all this, before you posted your question. Your pretense of shock over the answers received rings a bit thin.....but good job, none the less.

You seem to have also misunderstood the question. I was asking what factors about a diesel chassis causes it to be so much more expensive than a gasser chassis.

Many people just assumed I was asking the age old and pointless question, but I most assuredly was not. A few people did manage to answer the question I actually asked, and I've thanked them for it. The rest just went off answering the question they wrongfully assumed I was asking.

As for my already having an opinion on the matter, it's not really much of a conundrum. Obviously the DP is a better vehicle, that's never in dispute. The only thing the individual has to decide is if it is worth the additional cost to them. That's a personal value decision. I was simply trying to get an understanding on what factors were involved in the cost.

Obviously anyone can see for themselves that marble tile showers and hardwood cabinets add additional cost to the interior of either a DP or gasser, but I was asking about the basic difference between the two chassis, as I have clarified at least a half a dozen times.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 04-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #66
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
But I know the reason for the price difference in the types of cars. I doubt national labor cost differences is a big factor between a Gasser and a DP.

A DP and a Gasser aren't the same as comparing a BMW and a KIA. Many gassers are every bit as elegant as some DP's.
My Kia has every option the BMW has and a few more. LOL!

I've owned V10 and V8 Gassers and 4 DP's. I wouldn't go back to a Gasser.
I like:
-The carrying capacity of a DP.
-The torque of a DP.
-The 6 speed transmission on a DP.
-The air brakes on a DP.
-The quietness of a DP when rolling.
-The handling of a heavy Chassis on a DP.
-The advantage of floor plans available in a DP. (40')
-The minimal rear overhang on a DP compared to a Gasser.

Probably several other reasons, but these are the main differences I see from moving up to a Diesel Pusher.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
My Kia has every option the BMW has and a few more. LOL!

I agree. I'm a big fan of Korean cars, I loved my Hyundai Tiburon and hated to have to sell it when I needed a toad. Now if they would just make one that's four wheel towable with an automatic transmission.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 04-26-2015, 12:49 PM   #68

As stated diesel has more power , generally everything is more heavy duty , giving more pulling power & stopping power. Air ride suspension gives a smoother ride, engine in rear makes it more quiet while driving. Engine in rear also allows for forward entry door.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:16 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Why are DP's more expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
As stated diesel has more power , generally everything is more heavy duty , giving more pulling power & stopping power. Air ride suspension gives a smoother ride, engine in rear makes it more quiet while driving. Engine in rear also allows for forward entry door.

I agree with all of that. I was wondering where the extra cost comes from.

So far it seems to be that the Diesel engine and frame parts are just bigger and stronger, thus requiring more metal and additional manufacturing process.

I think most everyone agrees that if cost wasn't an issue they'd be the universal choice. I was just trying to get my head around what causes them to me more expensive.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 04-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #70

In general yea the components cost more .