Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #71

Supply and demand might have something to do with it as well. There are enough people looking for them used to keep the prices up. If nobody liked the DP's, or there was no reason to spend more for them than one might pay for a gasser, the DP prices would reflect that fact. That should tell you something right there?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 11:18 PM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi
I own a company that does engineering work in the commercial vehicle (RV, truck, etc.) world. Rather than get into the politics of it all you can PM me if you'd like and I can answer some questions.

Good luck, I think you'll enjoy it whichever way you eventually go though!

Bill
Old 05-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #73
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Monacoach".....I can answer your question.....
Quote:
Heat is heat no matter what system delivers it. Like I said gassers are just as well equipped as dps when they are being lived in. You can list all the options until you are blue and the gasser will match up.
Okay....we're both living in identically appointed 36' DP and 36' Class A gasser. They both have all the options. Now, go out into your storage bay and pull out the 5K worth of equipment that you use while living in your Class A gasser, bikes, canoes, generator etc and then walk back your 10K trailer, unload your two RZR's and 4 dirt bikes, or whatever you like to ride.

These are all part of living in your coach....but what you argue would require your Class A to rent a tow truck to haul the extra 12K in toys that you can't.

No one has an issue with what you own or how it works for you, but comparing your Class A to a DP is like comparing a tent trailer to Class A....it's just silly and makes no sense. Certainly, where high end gassers cross over with entry level DP's, there's not much difference, but that's not what's being discussed here.

Lastly, the gasser is limited on length and weight, where the DP is not. So there will be more options than a gasser can possibly hold or carry.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #74

My 2 cents diesels engines a just better. Probably all commercial vehicles are diesels, high end lawn mowers, tractors, yachts, and the lists goes on and on. With that said there's nothing wrong with gas engines but they don't have the torque or longevity.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:32 PM   #75

Yep but again , like I said earlier , if a person isn't hauling or pulling that much weight , or doesn't spend that much time in higher elevations , or, plan to run it several hundred thousand miles, than the extra cost may not be worth it to him .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Yep but again , like I said earlier , if a person isn't hauling or pulling that much weight , or doesn't spend that much time in higher elevations , or, plan to run it several hundred thousand miles, than the extra cost may not be worth it to him .
I don't know about other people but my 2 previous MH were gas and I only have 18,000 miles on the rev. The extra expense may not be worth it to anyone else but it's worth it to me and the evidently other DP owners.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
I like the smell of diesel in the morning and I'm willing to pay extra for it.

There I said it.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #78

Diesel horses larger than gas ones so they cost more...

16 jd diesel has a lot more umph than 16 hp sears.

Here is a gas and diesel horse...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150505_175044.png
Views:	86
Size:	531.2 KB
ID:	93507  
Old 05-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I don't know about other people but my 2 previous MH were gas and I only have 18,000 miles on the rev. The extra expense may not be worth it to anyone else but it's worth it to me and the evidently other DP owners.

That's why they make both.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:11 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by scep View Post
I like the smell of diesel in the morning and I'm willing to pay extra for it.

There I said it.
You betcha. Works for me too.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think I covered the technical differences when a diesel is made with the OP in PM. This is per my association with Cummins. I assume that takes care of his question.

My comment on where the discussion has gone astray from the OP thought is I have a compromise. To take it to a happy medium for me I figured out how to have my diesel and gas RV. I bought a great Bounder new that uses gas and used the savings over a DP to buy a new 2500 Ram diesel truck. Now I have both and I can use the truck for a variety of things. Problem solved for me! LOL
Old 05-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #82

Sorry, I didn't read every post, so maybe this has already been said, but the cost of a diesel engine is really that much higher, and the transmission is also.

Just an example is replacing pistons in the diesel engine. A set of six pistons and rings will cost as much as a small (new) car.

As others have mentioned, the engine is rated to run for a very long time with astonishing reliability. To get that, the parts have to be built heavier and to a higher tolerance. That all costs more. Yes, there are horror stories about some particular designs and engines having problems, and we all cringe and hope it never happens to us, but the frequency of that happening is really low. (It would be nice if Cummins helped more with that.............).

The point here is that the stuff is just more expensive to make. The other points that people have made here is that it does no good to put in a bullet-proof engine in a cracker box chassis, so everything else gets upgraded as well.

It's a reasonable question, and the answer is not always obvious. Maybe some of these posts have added some insight.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote