Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why change bulbs to LEDs

I removed a plastic ceiling light fixture from the ceiling of my bathroom. The fixture was is good shape and inspection of the ceiling showed brown scorched circles from where the bulbs were positioned.
1. Filament bulbs generate heat.
2. Heat from filament bulbs tend to make plastic light covers/lenses brittle and yellow over the years.
3. Filament bulbs will burn out.
4. Bayonet pin (automotive) filament bulbs come in only one brightness.
5. Filament bulbs will draw down and drain your battery if left on.

Yes, LED bulbs cost a little more BUT do not come with the disadvantages of filament bulbs.
1. They are a cold light [do not generate heat] and are brighter.
2. They last years longer than filament bulbs.
3. Some manufactures give LIFETIME WARRANTY.
4. The come in assorted brightness, Lumens - White, Natural White, Warm White.
5. The field/direction of Light can be angled - 120*, 270* or 360*
6. They use a lot less amperage to operate

Being a full timer I decided it was advantageous to go LED and have completed changing over most of my interiors lighting. Changing the outside lighting is another project.

Auto RV Marine LED Lights

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Some manufactures give LIFETIME WARRANTY.
I was courious so I looked and this is what I found:

From the Superlightleds web site:
Quote:
Warranty
A copy of the invoice is required for warranty repairs or replacements.
Unless otherwise noted, all products are warranted for 2 years from the date of purchase, select products have extended warranty periods. Warranty is void when products are used in applications that they are not intended for, such as using our LED Car Bulbs in applications other than the replacement of standard car bulbs in standard vehicles. Please call or email to notify us prior to returning items for warranty repair or exchange. Return shipping costs are the sole responsibility of the customer. All product specifications are subject to change without notice.
And from GoldenGadgets.com:
Quote:
Defective, DOA (Dead on Arrival) Full Refund Replacement or 15% Restocking Fee
*Starting from ship date by carriers. No refunds and/or exchanges after 45 days.

30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee - All returns are subject to the following:

* A Return Merchandise Authorization number is required for all returns
You must obtain a Return Merchandise Authorization ("RMA") number within our return policy period. GoldenGadgets.com will not accept returns without an RMA number and materials will be sent back on sender's expense. RMAs are valid for 15 days, within which the return must be received by GoldenGadgets.com

Please fill out this RMA form to submit your RMA request. You will receive an RMA number and form. Please include display the RMA number prominently on your package and include the form with your package.

* All returns must be shipped freight prepaid and with a tracking number
Customers are responsible for using reputable carriers that are capable of providing proof of delivery and insurance for the entire value of the shipment. Customers agree to bear risk of loss for the product during return shipment. No COD or Freight collect returns will be accepted by GoldenGadgets.com.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am in the process of switching, Wish I'd done it years ago and you have accuratly cited some of the reasons... LED's work well if you get good ones. Some of my LED's are actually BRIGHTER than the lamps they replace.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I am in the process of switching, Wish I'd done it years ago and you have accuratly cited some of the reasons... LED's work well if you get good ones. Some of my LED's are actually BRIGHTER than the lamps they replace.
ALL of my led's are brighter than what they replaced. If you will look on a site such as e-bay, you will find many different levels of brightness for the lights with the same base. My 1156 base lights have 68 little led's on each one. I suggest the ones labeled "warm white".
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #5

Why change bulbs to LEDs

I have learned that replacing warm white halogens at 160 lumens with LE Ds at 65% of the halogens, about 100 lumens, give you the same lighting quality. The halogens were just right, but 160 lumen LEDs were dang near blinding!
Learned the percentage thing from a boat guy, and he was right. I could not tell the difference while replacing them one at a time.
I have plenty of fixtures, and did not need more brightness.
I did put 160s in the kitchen. Nicer to cook by.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
While I am a fan of LEDs for all the mentioned reasons, one caveat is that they can still be a fire hazard. I installed a PUTCO LED replacement dome light in my 2003 Chevy Tracker and it nearly burned the rig up parked in my garage when the dome light was left on by mistake.

Yes it was installed properly and the dome light fixture did not have a defect.

The manufacturer has never responded.

I ended up replacing the fried dome light fixture with a new one and went back to an incandescent bulb.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1423867854.624318.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  77.2 KB
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:14 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Each bulb I purchased from Golden Gadgets RV LED Lighting enclosed a card that says "LIFETIME WARRANTY' We trust our products so much, we'll provide you with a lifetime warrantee. Just ship back to us and we'll replace it: GoldenGadgets.com 1819 N Floradale Ave, South El Monte, CA 91733 tel: 626-275-2595 goldengadget@gmail.com
Old 02-14-2015, 06:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
While I am a fan of LEDs for all the mentioned reasons, one caveat is that they can still be a fire hazard. I installed a PUTCO LED replacement dome light in my 2003 Chevy Tracker and it nearly burned the rig up parked in my garage when the dome light was left on by mistake.

Yes it was installed properly and the dome light fixture did not have a defect.

The manufacturer has never responded.

I ended up replacing the fried dome light fixture with a new one and went back to an incandescent bulb.

Attachment 85969
Contrary to the OP's initial statement LED's do generate some heat. Not nearly as much as an incandescent bulb, but in tight quarters they can cause some damage. LED's take up considerably more room, especially ones in overhead fixtures. It's possible the size you purchased were too tight a fit for the fixture they were installed in, and didn't have a heat sink.

Better LED's have a heat sink. The Samsung Elite series incorporate heat sinks. The bigger ones with a large number of LED's even have a finned aluminum heat sink.

Bright Quality LED Retrofit for MR16 Halogens

Here's a link to the M4 LED website. They have a great tutorial on the types of LED's available, how to determine physical size you need for a particular application, and the different light levels available among other things.

M4 Products
Old 02-14-2015, 06:44 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Full time and very seldom boondock. Maybe 3-4 times over 15 years.
Always plugged in so no LEDs needed.
May have had 4-5 incandescent bulb burn out in the last 12 years.
So can't see any savings on buying more costly LEDs

Have had several 18" Fluorescent burn out. Not sure changing to LEDs will give a brighter light or lower cost on them.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #10

Why change bulbs to LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Full time and very seldom boondock. Maybe 3-4 times over 15 years.
Always plugged in so no LEDs needed.
May have had 4-5 incandescent bulb burn out in the last 12 years.
So can't see any savings on buying more costly LEDs

Have had several 18" Fluorescent burn out. Not sure changing to LEDs will give a brighter light or lower cost on them.

I thought the same until I swapped and saw the drop in my monthly electricity bill. LED is about 15% of the halogen current draw. I have 38 puck lights. LEDs in 20 high-use locations.
My LEDs paid for themselves, and are now paying me.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:20 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I thought the same until I swapped and saw the drop in my monthly electricity bill. LED is about 15% of the halogen current draw. I have 38 puck lights. LEDs in 20 high-use locations.
My LEDs paid for themselves, and are now paying me.
Last time I stayed at a monthly site that electric was a extra charge.
Was maybe 12 or so years ago.

Yes they are still some of those campgrounds out there. And many less then $400 a month.

My 99.9% light use is with a twin 18" Fluorescent in kitchen ceiling a twin 18" Fluorescent over the kitchen sink and a ceiling twin 18" Fluorescent one in the bathroom. Also used very seldom a single 23" Fluorescent over the couch.

I am a power hog even on 30 AMP. Last time I paid 15 a Kwh my bill was around 90-$110 a month.

I do use a 46" LED TV several hours a day.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #12

A common misconception is that LED don't generate heat which is far from the truth. They do generate heat but it's much less per lumen than almost any other kind of light sources due to their high efficiency.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
A common misconception is that LED don't generate heat which is far from the truth. They do generate heat but it's much less per lumen than almost any other kind of light sources due to their high efficiency.

The heat difference is nearly proportional to the difference in current draw. Physics!
A puck light almost to hot to touch vs one that has slight warmth.
I use light lavishly at night! I can almost hear the "cha-ching" of savings.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Replace Flor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Last time I stayed at a monthly site that electric was a extra charge.
Was maybe 12 or so years ago.

Yes they are still some of those campgrounds out there. And many less then $400 a month.

My 99.9% light use is with a twin 18" Fluorescent in kitchen ceiling a twin 18" Fluorescent over the kitchen sink and a ceiling twin 18" Fluorescent one in the bathroom. Also used very seldom a single 23" Fluorescent over the couch.

I am a power hog even on 30 AMP. Last time I paid 15 a Kwh my bill was around 90-$110 a month.

I do use a 46" LED TV several hours a day.

Each of our 12" fluorescent bulbs cost about $8.00 to replace. The ballast will cost about $25 when it needs to be replaced.

That is about $41 of replacement parts per fixture.

A strip of 5050 led bulbs with adhesive backing tape that is 15 feet long can be purchased on Amazon for about $10.

Two 18" LED strips would cost about $2 and replace the $41 of parts.

Cut 10 strips to replace your fluorescent bulbs and remove and throw away the ballast while cutting your electric useage.

It actually make economic sense and is very easy to do. (And gets rid of that humming ballast noise). You will use the old light fixture minus the ballast.

I am doing mine as the bulbs or ballasts fail, but we also like the new light brightness result we selected better than the old!

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote