Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Stuff don't last anymore because 98% of it is made in China!
Actually, IMO, the reason stuff doesn't last anymore is the consumers fault. We, as consumers want to pay the least amount possible for a product. That means to stay competitive, a company must use the cheapest components and labor to make that product.
And you know what_ we/consumers get what we pay for.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2014, 10:53 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes cheap can mean lesser quality & we certainly see it in consumer goods. We have become a throw-away rather than a repair & keep-it-til-the-wheels-fall-off-it society.

However I spent more than twice (for one, it was 3x) what I spent 25 years ago for some new, supposedly upper-end appliances for my home & there's no way these current appliances will last 25 years. I've still got a nearly 60 year old upright freezer in my basement that's working just fine. I highly doubt any freezer out there now, at probably 10x the original unit's purchase price, could match it for basic maintenance (vacuuming the coils & defrosting is all it needs) & longevity.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:23 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was watching a re-run of I Dream of Jeannie... She blinked up a toy that was a hit with the toy manufacturer because it broke the first time it was played with.. "The Ultimate in planned obsolescence, we'll make MILLIONS!"

Sadly.. there are many manufacturers who think that way.

On the other hand I know of a company that makes both automatic and manual Entry doors (Such as you might have on a Bank, store, or office building, or several other types of buildings) This company, last time I checked, was the only company that made a sliding automatic door approved for install in Schools though there are likely more now (Been many years since I checked).

One of their customers is very close to the plant and office, so a repair man was sent over when the manual door failed... They had to heat the screws in the header cover with a torch to get them to come out they had been undisturbed for so long, and when the job was finished it was just an hour's labor plus one standard O-ring kit. The customer's head maintenance guy decided to look up the history of that door.. So he went and got it's very thin file... One sheet, the original invoice for the installation 40 years prior to the repair.

That's your problem, No planned obsolescence, It lasts too long.

I used to sell Fuller Brush, this was like 40+ years ago.. one of my sample brushes was for boys (not men) it is shaped and painted like half a football.. I still use that brush It is still good, 40+ years later (Very nice brush)... Fuller Brushes last a long time too. In a few years if I can find a dealer I'll order one for my grandson who lives in a football themed world anyway (His dad is a coach).

Some companies still make good stuff.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #18

I wish all my automotive batteries would last 12 or 13 years. I think the belief that "they just don't make them like they used to" is a crock. My first "grown-up" car was a 1962 Chevrolet Impala. By the time my pride and joy had 60k miles, stuff was falling off as I drove down the road and people had a major celebration if their car made it to 100k. I traded in my last Tahoe with 250k on the original engine and tranny and it still showed no sign of wear besides the cosmetic dings and scrapes I caused.

Looking at how much things cost 40 years ago is deceptive - the printing and borrowing by the government has reduced the value of the dollar. You can bemoan the throwaway society, but I would rather pay a couple hundred for a set of batteries that last 7 years than to pay a couple thousand for a set that lasts forever - I have a strong suspicion that I won't be around that long.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Stuff don't last anymore because 98% of it is made in China!
I don't know Joe, the Great Wall has been there a while!

"Why don't stuff last anymore??"

I don't know, perhaps because of worker's grammar skills???

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #20

One example of getting what you pay for is some muffin tins; actually they are stainless steel. I bought them about 18 years ago at a local hardware store for $7 ea. Sure that was expensive back then, but today they still look new, aren't corroded or bent, and wash easily. Had I continued buying the mild steel tins, I'd likely be on my 4-5th set now, and wound up paying more in total than the SST ones.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Two words Designed Obsolescence

Things are only designed to last "so" long. so you go out and buy another. If they built RV's to last 25 years with "bullet proof" industrial grade systems, there would be less need to keep flipping into a new RV every few years.

An item can be designed / built for $25 and sold for $100 to last forever or it can be made for $5 and sold for $90 and break / wear out in 6 months or a year. What are you going to do. Go buy another $90 one. The guy building the $90 one is laughing all the way to the bank because that is the deposit for his new ski home in Aspen.

In my personal life, I will spend the extra $$ to buy that item that will last. Things like home plumbing fixtures, furniture, vehicles, tools... But sometimes you can no longer find quality made items anymore.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #22

The good ol days...

Mayberry had Floyd in the fix it shop and made a living fixing toasters and other things.

Now folks want to have the latest style so having stuff with short life cycles works well with the marketing folks to sell new product.

Cars do last longer now...not much else though...
Old 11-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
13 years is a very long time. Batteries lasting 5 years in a vehicle that is used every day is considered a good run. I hope I get 13 years out of my batteries. You must take extra special care and maintenance. Great job on your part.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #24

I really think the OP was tongue in cheek and just kidding. 13 years would actually make most people happy as the batteries made today probably won't last that long. I hope that is what he meant or like said in a prior post he is in for a long road traveling with RV's.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Mayberry had Floyd in the fix it shop and made a living fixing toasters and other things.

You piqued my interest since I only remembered Floyd as the barber. According to http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Lawson the actor playing Floyd had to leave the show at the end of season 7 due to his declining health, so he was 'retired '. He was replaced with Emmett in season 8 who opened the fix-it shop in the former barber shop. I guess I must have stopped watching that show before that season.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Was watching a re-run of I Dream of Jeannie... She blinked up a toy that was a hit with the toy manufacturer because it broke the first time it was played with.. "The Ultimate in planned obsolescence, we'll make MILLIONS!"

Sadly.. there are many manufacturers who think that way .
Would Apple qualify?
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #27

I worked with a guy on the FD quite a while ago, (about 35 or more years) that got no less than 8-10 years out of every single battery he ever owned. He stated that, his reasoning for such continued longevity in his batteries, no matter what brand, was his propensity to add a teaspoon of Epsom Salts to every cell, once every six months. He stated he NEVER got any less than those amount of years out of a battery.

I don't have a clue as to what Epsom salts would have done or, is supposed to do to a wet battery cell. I've never tried the trick myself. Just some info here or, "snake oil".
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #28

Some of you need to lighten up a little. It was a joke about not lasting as long anymore. I was surprised they had lasted as long as they did. The MH did sit for some time before I bought it. [moderator edit].