Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it is your fault, do nothing and let the camera overwrite the footage.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #16

Where do you mount your dash cam?? On dash?? Top of windshield??

Old 01-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
If it is your fault, do nothing and let the camera overwrite the footage.
If you have your camera wired into your ignition, you would have to leave the ignition on to do that, and also depends on how much storage is in the camera.
PJStough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:46 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh1855 View Post
I mount mine at the bottom of the windshield, just below the wipers. It gives a great view of traffic in front.

Also, below is a link to a sample video from the dash cam and shows the reason I use one. Two idiots cutting us off in less than 100 feet. The wide angle lens makes them look farther away than what they were. All it takes is one of them to cut in front and slam on their brakes and swear it was your fault.
https://youtu.be/XTW127gbgDE

As a retired LEO and fatality accident investigator, video evidence would be priceless in almost all cases. The he said/she said scenario could be eliminated. I am not a lawyer, but my understanding of the Brady decision of the Supreme Court is that only law enforcement is required to turn over exculpatory evidence, it does not cover private citizens. Yes, it could be subpoenaed, but only if the injured party even knew you had a camera.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I mount mine at the bottom of the windshield, just below the wipers. It gives a great view of traffic in front.

Also, below is a link to a sample video from the dash cam and shows the reason I use one. Two idiots cutting us off in less than 100 feet. The wide angle lens makes them look farther away than what they were. All it takes is one of them to cut in front and slam on their brakes and swear it was your fault.
https://youtu.be/XTW127gbgDE

As a retired LEO and fatality accident investigator, video evidence would be priceless in almost all cases. The he said/she said scenario could be eliminated. I am not a lawyer, but my understanding of the Brady decision of the Supreme Court is that only law enforcement is required to turn over exculpatory evidence, it does not cover private citizens. Yes, it could be subpoenaed, but only if the injured party even knew you had a camera.
Two things: One, my understanding if the investigating cop asks if you have a dashcam, and you say no, you could be prosecuted for lying to an officer of the law. Second, I believe that a subpoena could be broad enough to ask for any any and all evidence, including pictures or video of the accident, and again you would risk prosecution if you lied, and were found out.
PJStough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:06 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At the price you can get them, there is no reason not to have dash cams. I got two off e-bay for $37.00. Bought two 16gb micro sd cards for about $8.00. You can pay a lot more if you order stateside, but they come from the same place.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #21

Which ones did you buy?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I remember seeing a link to a very low-cost ($39.95 I think) that was highly rated. I thought I saved it, but can't find it now. Anyone know what that may have been?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #23

I was just looking at the G1WH (mentioned in another thread) but the ratings are all over the place. It's only sixty bucks here in Canada but not sure it's even worth that much.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie101 View Post
I was just looking at the G1WH (mentioned in another thread) but the ratings are all over the place. It's only sixty bucks here in Canada but not sure it's even worth that much.

I have two of them, and they are great for me.
I ordered them from two different places. One has a internal battery, and the most recent one has a large capacitor instead of a battery.
This is needed to hold power incase the car battery gets creamed so the camera has time to store the file on the SD card.

ONE WARNING - my latest one did not allow for "Image Rotation", so it had to be mounted on the mirror. I want it mounted on the dash for my RV.
I just swapped them (the one in the truck had the option to rotate image).

They both have good light balance (WDR) and clear pictures. Can't see license plate numbers clearly, but that is not important to me.

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I got 2 off Yugster for app. $12 each + $5 shipping and I'm very pleased with them. They record at 720 which is very adequate for the need. It begins recording when the ignition is on and records in 5 min incriments until your SD card is full then begins writing over the oldest segment. The unit is from China and all it says on the box is HD DVR. I see the same model advertised up to about $90 each. setup the menu, plug it in and forget it until something happens where you need to have video record of the event.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh1855 View Post
I put mine at the top of the windshield. It out of my line of sight, so I will not play with it. I have a G1W-C no battery runs off a usb port. I also purchase a mirror support bracket (whatever you call the thing that holds it in place) every time I use a suction cup type holder it falls off. It begins recording when I start the RV and shuts off when I turn the engine off. In the daytime if a car is close enought I can read license plates. At night it dark no plate. I hope it never pays for it self, so for now it just a toy.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:39 AM   #27
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I checked the reviews on dash cams and ordered one that was highly rated. You can get by with an inexpensive unit and it will work fine. Some of the reports stated that the cheaper ones can easily quit due to the heat where they're located. I also wanted one with GPS, image save upon impact, and I bought a larger SD card. I found the pictures are so nice, that you can save them when driving through places like National Parks.

You really only need a dash cam for looking forward. Anytime you're rear ended, it's usually 99.9% the other persons fault. Anything from the side or near the front will be generally picked up by the wide angle.

I bought two power cords for mine. One I have mounted in the motor home, (keyed power) and one in my daily driver. I recently had a jerk tailgating me while driving my truck.....I reached up, turned the camera to the rear and they backed off once they realized they were on video. Mine is mounted just above and behind my mirror on my truck and when in my motor home, it's mounted down low on the windshield on the driver's side, just above the wipers.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:46 AM   #28

Years ago before dash cams were popular; I used one in atruck while transporting goods to the north via I95 between North Carolina andNew Jersey.

One day while traveling northbound though Baltimore, Iencountered an irate driver that wanted the whole highway to himself.

Well, being in a big truck, I needed all the room I couldget to get through this particular section that transitioned from the belt way,to I95 north.

This guy did everything he could to get around me includingthe shoulder just because, until I could move over into the mainstream.

Once he did get around me, he immediately changed lanes tothe right and in front of me, then hit his brakes six feet off my front bumper.I was right at 80,000 Lbs. at the time, and no brakes in the world could stopme in that distance before hitting him.

I still remember it like it was yesterday, a red PontiacTrans Am bouncing off my front bumper three times before I could get far enoughaway from him to change lanes and off to the right shoulder of the road, whereagain he moved over to, and I hit him again when he suddenly stop.

Before I could set my brakes, he runs back to me and startedhis rambling. I got on the phone to the State police and they were on the scenewith in fifteen minutes.

I still had notgotten out of the truck when they arrived, a little shaken and afraid I woulddo something very bad to this guy if I got out, The officer asked me what happenedafter talking to the other guy first.

Of course my story didn’t match up to what the other driverhad said, and I was about to get ticketed for the accident.

I asked the Trooper to sit in the truck while I moved to theright seat, and turned on the recording of the incident.

After he saw this, we examined what damage was done to thetruck and it was minimal. I was asked if I wanted to file charges of vehicular assaultagainst the other driver, I didn’t because I was on a very tight schedule andwould have to go to court later. But from what the trooper saw on the video, hecould still lock this guy up on the spot and file the charges anyway.

I was released, and all was right in the world.

Not having that camera at that time, would have cost me alot more than just a ticket because this trooper had had enough of road ragewrecks on his watch.

Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, dash