Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #43

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
They have to know about the dash cam first.
The cameras are not invisible. If they look, they will know you have it.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #44

Stand for something,
or fall for anything.

A person with integrity, and proud of it.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:15 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.kyfl View Post
Buy thst man (Joopy)a beer!
Old 01-31-2016, 04:58 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
...I can't help but be impressed by how many folks are willing to "ditch" or "hide" video evidence that may incriminate them as being at fault in a situation. We all want the video evidence to protect us from folks that may be less than honest (and rightly so), but why are we okay with not owning up to responsibility if we made a mistake?

Welcome to the 21st century in America. It seems the mantra today is, "If anything bad happens to me, it's got to be someone else's fault."

I commend you for your comments. I try to live my life the same way you do. Sadly, I think we are rapidly becoming the minority.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #47

Interesting utube video concerning dash cams and the law.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
The cameras are not invisible. If they look, they will know you have it.
It doesn't have to hang down in the middle of the windshield. I have a factory installed dash cam in my Corvette and you can't tell it has one. The one in my Ram truck is a slimline and sits above the visor in the shaded area of the windshield. You can't see that one either. I'd think you could do the same for an RV since you have all those cabinets above the windshield.
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Excellent video.....Thanks for Posting

These are the 11 states mentioned for "Dual Consent".Eleven states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful. These "two-party consent" laws have been adopted in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. (Notes: (1) Illinois' two-party consent statute was held unconstitutional in 2014;

Regards,

Dan
Old 02-03-2016, 06:24 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Excellent video.....Thanks for Posting

These are the 11 states mentioned for "Dual Consent".Eleven states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful. These "two-party consent" laws have been adopted in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. (Notes: (1) Illinois' two-party consent statute was held unconstitutional in 2014;

Regards,

Dan
I think those laws only pertain to audio recordings. In addition to a dash cam, my Corvette has a valet cam which recorded audio from inside the car too. GM disabled the audio function, but left the video operational because the audio violated the law in several states.
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:44 AM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I think those laws only pertain to audio recordings. In addition to a dash cam, my Corvette has a valet cam which recorded audio from inside the car too. GM disabled the audio function, but left the video operational because the audio violated the law in several states.
You are correct, and the video pointed that out. I should have restated that.

Dan
Old 02-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #52

Dan, my solution was to turn off the audio feature. It's said one picture is worth a thousand words anyway.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:34 AM   #53

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dash Cam v/s GPS... To be honest not only can the dash cam save YOU in an accident but it can actually make you a profit (Even if you are not in the accident) if it films an accident you are NOT involved with.

Happened in Detroit some years ago there was a very spectular accident, Well some kid with a new video camera riding in his daddy's car filmed everything (Perfectly safe since he was not driving) and that tape got sold to the highest bidder as it were.

I have a nose camera, this is even better than a dash cam cause it is OUTSIDE the RV and thus sun flair on the windshield is not a problem.. It feeds a DVR with 250 hour capacity.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=wa8yxm;

I have a nose camera, this is even better than a dash cam cause it is OUTSIDE the RV and thus sun flair on the windshield is not a problem.. It feeds a DVR with 250 hour capacity.[/QUOTE]

Can you share what equipment you are using and how you have it set up? I’m trying to set something like this up too.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Aside from the merits and legalities of dashcams... I have a webcam that I mounted between the windshield and my cabinets--so it hangs down from the "ceiling" area there. it is one that can rotate almost 360 degrees, so i use it as a dash-cam when i am traveling, or as a security cam when i'm parked somewhere but away from the RV.

it streams/records wireless to my media server 24/7 when i'm on a big trip, or just sits there idle (not recording) for short weekends. it is not large and ugly, but also not invisible so even when it's not recording, the crooks don't know that and so maybe (??) it is a theft deterrent?

if I wanted to spend $$ on a dedicated cellular system for the RV, i could connect my media server to the web, thus enabling me to check on my RV remotely if I wanted to. I'm not there yet..

Anyway.. for those considering buying a dedicated dash-cam, if you are tech savvy, maybe a camera that does more than just record your driving view could be appealing.
StatGeek, Can you tell us what WEB Cam you use. Thanks
LVUS101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #56

This actually happened to us. We were in a parking lot at a restaurant, traveling with several other cars, and driving our classic Corvette. New building, crowded lot. Saw a gal running towards a car parked perpendicular to us. Obviously upset about something. She entered the car, started it and proceeded to back rapidly. We had no where to go, cars in front and cars in back of us. She hit us in the front fender! We called the police, they arrived, asked us if we had exchanged insurance and other info. We had, so they told us their was nothing they could do since the parking lot was not a city street. Because of that they couldn't file a report so they left. Had the other drivers info so I wasn't concerned. Had the estimate sent to her agent, had the car repaired and sent the bill to her insurance. She denied having been there and her insurance wouldn't pay. My word against hers. BEWARE when involved in an accident, trust no one!
ddahlen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, dash