Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2016, 12:56 AM   #29

Sjcam 4000. You can use it like a Gopro as well!
David_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2016, 04:55 AM   #30

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Is the time, date and GPS info written to the video or is it part of the Metadata. It would be nice not see that time stamp when you want to use the video footage for other purposes.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:10 AM   #31

Dtwallace's incident is exactly why I want one. The vast majority of time when you hit someone from behind you are at fault and without video or a witness you'd never be able to prove he pulled a move like that. Now there are these idiots pulling the insurance scam where they back into you and you get blamed. How i would love to have a camera when they try that one.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
fuzzie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:42 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Sounds good, but I dont think that answer would fly with a cop, and certainly not with a court, unless you would be willing to risk perjury.
They have to know about the dash cam first.
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #33

I will try to keep this short. (Yeah right!)

This past summer, we took the epic cross-country vacation. Fantastic trip!

While preparing for the journey, I researched dash cams. I concluded that it was a great idea. Like everybody else, I guess, I thought the likelihood of an accident was slim, and the likelihood of an accident in front of me that is not my fault was even slimmer.

So, I decided that if I bought one, it would be dual purpose. I would buy one that I could use on the dash and on the go like a GoPro. This would also add the potential use of adding great landscape footage to any family videos we might make.

I'm sure you all know how preparing for a trip like this goes. We had a bunch of stuff we wanted to buy like Camel Backs, hiking sandals for the kids who had grown out of their's, etc...

I passed on the dash cam because the one I wanted was too expensive. Big mistake.

On CA Hwy 99 I was hit by a merging car. Yep, she was merging onto the freeway and slammed into the side of me. I couldn't get over, too much traffic in the left two lanes. I tried to slow down and let her in, she started to slow too. By then, it was too late. She either had to: 1.) slam on her brakes and stop in the merge lane, 2.) take it into the guard rail on her right or 3.) hit me.

She chose #3.

After the collision, she stopped before hitting the guard rail on her right? Go figure? She had time to come to a complete stop after, why not before?

I thought she was GONE. No way she would stick around. To my surprise, she followed me to where I stopped. I had jumped out to try to get her license plate if she drove by. She pulled right up to me. She was actually asking me how I planned to pay for her damages, I think? She did say, "you pay?" at one point in the conversation. We had a hard time communicating because of the language barrier, so I had my wife call 911 and request an officer.

He explained to me that he could do an investigation but would have no witnesses to interview except us and her. I told him I would take my chances on her insurance company. We exchanged information and I took some photos of the vehicles.

The outcome was neutral. Thankfully, my insurance company refused coverage of her damages. I did not file a claim on my damages ($500 deductible).

Lucky for me, she bounced off me like a tennis ball. Her rear quarter panel was caved in and that door wouldn't shut. Her side view mirror was broken off. I had a scratch in the clear coat and the tips of the lug nut covers were all scuffed up. That 1/2 inch where the door hinge sticks out saved me big time. It was bent backwards slightly and scratched down to bare metal.

She told her insurance company that I went over into the merge lane, hit her and then went back into the travel lane and on down the highway. Nimble little F-53 chassis, HUH?

Wish I had video.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #34

Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
Having a dash cam YOU control the evidence, until you decide to voluntarily surrender it to insurance or police.
or...the other driver spots it, takes a photo of it and then subpoena's the dash cam and video in court.

regarding the police not taking a report....sounds like a lazy LEO to me. I spent a career in public safety communications (35 years) and our police agencies almost always took reports. two exceptions...accidents on private property (shopping center lots, etc) and during severe weather when accidents numbered in the dozens (we handled radio for 12-police departments). but in severe weather unless the vehicles were not driveable the drivers were directed to the station to make the report. in some of those cases one driver would refuse so our advice to the other driver was to file the report anyway and to include the other driver's information on that report. doing that will generate a notice from the state to the reluctant driver to complete a report.

if involved in a property-damage- only accident call 9-1-1 and ask police to respond, exchange information with the other driver(s)...name, address, phone, driver's license number, license plate number..., take photos of your damage and the other driver's damage. most important...admit nothing in terms of fault to anyone including the LEO. when you call 9-1-1 some jurisdictions may ask you to move your vehicle out of the traffic lanes, others may not. most departments that I'm familiar with can re-construct the accident by examining the scene and damage on the vehicles.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Aside from the merits and legalities of dashcams... I have a webcam that I mounted between the windshield and my cabinets--so it hangs down from the "ceiling" area there. it is one that can rotate almost 360 degrees, so i use it as a dash-cam when i am traveling, or as a security cam when i'm parked somewhere but away from the RV.

it streams/records wireless to my media server 24/7 when i'm on a big trip, or just sits there idle (not recording) for short weekends. it is not large and ugly, but also not invisible so even when it's not recording, the crooks don't know that and so maybe (??) it is a theft deterrent?

if I wanted to spend $$ on a dedicated cellular system for the RV, i could connect my media server to the web, thus enabling me to check on my RV remotely if I wanted to. I'm not there yet..

Anyway.. for those considering buying a dedicated dash-cam, if you are tech savvy, maybe a camera that does more than just record your driving view could be appealing.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #36

I am an electromechanical engineer and visit customer sites all the time, and typically drive my car more than 50,000 miles a year. I have a dash cam, and in the past year alone, I have videos of dozens of dangerous and reckless lane changes, and a couple 'across the double yellow line' near head on collisions. Luckily, no contacts yet, buy the audio has caught a couple exclamations from me about these other drivers that I could not type here without getting censored.

One particular item was a car stopped at a red light, mine being green, and then clear evidence of me slamming on the brakes, my car pitching down in the front, and the car passing right in front of me with the driver who was running his red light giving me a real dirty look very clear in the video. (My guess is a green turn arrow may have turned on, and he went straight instead) Again, I missed the accident, but it would clearly have been a problem if I hit him.

On the MH, I have added a rear view camera and I also added another small camera on the right side mirror. It is great for lane changes, and there was a post a few back of a woman trying to merge onto the highway that is the very reason for that 2nd camera.

On most trips, I move my dash cam to the MH from my car, but while I have great monitors for the two rear facing cameras, I do not record that video.

I am seriously reconsidering all this now. I believe I going to start recording those video feeds, not just display them.

Earlier posts say that the forward facing camera is good and protective, but then went on to post that they do not record rear facing, but most times you get hit from the rear it is the fault of the rear driver.

That contradicts the reason we are recording forward. If we use cameras and video to prove the car in front of us who we just rear ended may be at fault, then I believe we also need to record the car behind us, to refute their story if they say the same.

In my case, I already have the cameras in place in my MH. All I need to do it figure out how to record it.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:05 PM   #37

After considerable thought, I'm going to go ahead and post a response that may not be received very well by some, but I'll stand by my thoughts and take any backlash standing up.

I've used a dash cam for over two years now for essentially the same reasons as most folks. It's good to have video evidence if the situation arises. While reading the posts on this particular thread I can't help but be impressed by how many folks are willing to "ditch" or "hide" video evidence that may incriminate them as being at fault in a situation. We all want the video evidence to protect us from folks that may be less than honest (and rightly so), but why are we okay with not owning up to responsibility if we made a mistake?

To each their own. But personally, if I make the mistake I'm going to stand up and take responsibility. That's why I'm insured. Among other key values, how can I speak to my children and grandchildren of the importance of integrity if I don't live it myself? I've always taught them that integrity means doing the right thing when no one can see you.

Sorry if my differing thoughts offends anyone. I'm speaking to the group and therefore sincerely not meant to be offensive to any individuals. I simply felt compelled to offer another perspective to this interesting topic. Frankly, I don't think I'm alone in this way of thinking.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
After considerable thought, I'm going to go ahead and post a response that may not be received very well by some, but I'll stand by my thoughts and take any backlash standing up.

I've used a dash cam for over two years now for essentially the same reasons as most folks. It's good to have video evidence if the situation arises. While reading the posts on this particular thread I can't help but be impressed by how many folks are willing to "ditch" or "hide" video evidence that may incriminate them as being at fault in a situation. We all want the video evidence to protect us from folks that may be less than honest (and rightly so), but why are we okay with not owning up to responsibility if we made a mistake?

To each their own. But personally, if I make the mistake I'm going to stand up and take responsibility. That's why I'm insured. Among other key values, how can I speak to my children and grandchildren of the importance of integrity if I don't live it myself? I've always taught them that integrity means doing the right thing when no one can see you.

Sorry if my differing thoughts offends anyone. I'm speaking to the group and therefore sincerely not meant to be offensive to any individuals. I simply felt compelled to offer another perspective to this interesting topic. Frankly, I don't think I'm alone in this way of thinking.

cheers,
Joopy
I don't think people meant it that way, I think they were "Just Sayin".

I would like to think that everyone on this forum would admit fault if it was in fact their fault....and in that case, no video evidence needed.

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #39
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:

cheers,
Joopy
Your not as I agree 100% with your comments. Integrity and morals can be a hard thing to find in todays society. Too much of "all about me" and "well everybody else is doing it" so why not me to. Am I perfect? No, I just try and do what's right and use common sense in todays society.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:22 AM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Buy thst man (Joopy)a beer!
tim.kyfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:51 AM   #41
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

cheers,
Joopy
Thank you for standing up for what's right!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #42

I echo the sentiments. Jupiter is right. Doing the right thing is the right thing.

The rest is just money. In the case of lying when you make a mistake, and you have insurance, you may not even be lying to save your own money.

Although very common, lying for money is among the weakest of reasons to take that wrong road.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, dash