Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
National RV Owners Club
Why is EVERYTHING industry specific

So I decided to make use of the onboard water filtration system on my 2001 national islander. I'm snowbirding at a trailer/rv park during the week for work. Park is 10 miles any direction from anything except a small town hardware store that closes at 4pm. After 2 trips to that store to get fittings and 1 trip there to purchase the whole home filter, I finally figure that I need to take the whole built in valve system apart just to take out the reducer fitting that's screwed in to the 3 way watts valve since the previous owner just cut everything at the pipes and some fittings are glued or cement welded. Well now it's after 6 so I decide to drive the 14 miles to the closest big box h/w store. Hand the reducer to the plumbing clerk and he's like what is this? I've never seen this. Talked with him for a few minutes and even looked around for a while. Who would think that HD or Lowes would not have a 3/4 to 1/2" pressured reducer? Problem is the thread pitch. It's not a regular npt threading.
After all that, I decide to put it back together until I can get another reducer then notice the valve was spraying profusely and I can't get it to stop less I shut off city water. Any advice?

anewtoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
All the plumbing in our motorhome is standard 1/2" threaded, PEX or a combination of the two. Some manufacturers may use other fittings, but it doesn't make sense when all the standard stuff is mass produced and should be cheaper.

Not sure which end of the reducer is non standard. The Watts valve should certainly be standard NPT. If it's the filter housing or another fitting leading to the housing, I would replace it with standard while you have everything apart. If your RV plumbing is PEX, that is becoming very widely used even for residential. Most hardware stores will have PEX crimpers they will loan or rent.

You can also use Shark Bite (or similar) fittings that will fit PEX, PVC and copper. Shark Bite fittings slip on over the pipe and seal with O-rings or rubber seals inside. Shark Bite fittings are also available to adapt straight pipe on one end with NPT on the other. The fittings are expensive, but no tools are required for assembly.

2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sometimes the sizes differ from typical residential fittings, but I haven't run into anything that is not standard. Maybe because I'm used to mobile homes a well as site built stuff - they often use different tube sizes, have PEX instead of PVC or copper, etc.

In my experience Lowes is not very good on anything that is not straight out of typical residential construction. Neither their inventory nor their clerks get far off the beaten path!
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
National RV Owners Club
After hours of research, traveling to 6 different plumbing supply warehouses in the metro Atlanta area, I finally found a company that has a replacement for the 3-way watts regulator. They had 2 at their regional shipping warehouse 3 hours from Atlanta. So I wouldn't consider it standard. Tubing is PEX. Original watts regulator has one outlet and one inlet that are standard female 1/2" NPT threading. One female outlet that is 3/4" fine threading with the reducer screwed in. This piece also had female threading and had half inch tubing screwed and glued in. The tubing was cut less than 1 inch outside of the this reducer. Below is a link to the replacement that I finally found. http://www.fnwvalve.com/FNWValve/pro...CK_ID=10000862
anewtoi is offline   Reply With Quote